GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Nintendo show"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/05/05 at 22:17
Regular
Well would you look at this. The fellow Nintendo monkeys running around crying because they wanted to see Revolution.

You were told before the show it wasn't going to be there. Why the surprise.

It's the PS3 and X-box 360 show. In fact it is pretty much just the PS3 show. Hence the reason Microsoft did that silly MTV party thing.

What can overshadow the biggest console announcement ever?

No... Nintendo cannot do that.

X-box's gimmick is customisable games, complete with snap on facias. Sony, ultra-realism.

Great ideas but they come at a price. And that price is ours. EA have already stated game prices could rise to as much as £60. And that publishers will have a hard time this generation.

Nintendo's suggestion is different. For starters they haven't cranked up the graphics to a pointless notion that most games developers (sorry all) won't be bothered to meet. But most importantly, Online is free.

The console, games, and online service will be as cheap as a cheap thing that is very cheap. And that's cheap.

Nintendo plan for a 2006 launch alongside Sony. Nintendo are working very hard to reach that. But they don't have anything to show us yet. They don't have time to order their minions to mock up videos and demos. They haven't even finalised the sodding controller yet.

Yet Nintendo fans. Us. Are once again throwing a fit because there wasn't anything concrete on show.

It just isn't the time. It really isn't. Maybe a September Spaceworld will do. But trust me, it makes sense, why show a console that will be overshadowed and ignored because Sony have announced theres.

Nintendo are talking about online plans. They've showed the greatest Zelda demo ever. A handfull of new Gamecube and DS games. And even a new, if slightly pointless, Gameboy... to further attack the PSP.

But still not happy.

The reason why the conference didn't have the impact of last years is because there isn't actually anything to show. I'm not surprised. I'm not happy but nor am I dissapointed. Nintendo's spotlight is still to come.

And I await with baited breath.

Dringo.
Tue 17/05/05 at 22:51
Regular
"bit of a brain"
What they've shown is good, yes - online seems promising (even if it will be in the hands of NOE), as does the selection of games they've promised and the whole 20 years of gaming thing. The rest seems pretty generic stuff that anyone could have predicted, which is what makes it disappointing. The fact that they call it Revolution but have yet to reveal what makes it so revolutionary is what makes it disappointing. All round, Nintendo's show was disappointing, with a distinct lack of actual substance to it. The pre-E3 conference is usually where they shout about the great things that'll be happening, and Nintendo's being lacklustre as it was doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
Tue 17/05/05 at 22:51
Regular
Memorandum! wrote:

> [URL]http://www.cube-europe.com/games/zelda2/29.jpg[/URL]
> "stunning"

What's wrong with the black and white Manga effect... last seen in Wind Waker?
Tue 17/05/05 at 22:50
Regular
It looks good, the water effects are excellent, the game looks fresh and green and dark.

But it's more to it than the graphics. New gameplay elements and a truly massive Zelda adventure.

The game to me looks amazing. If you had an incling of how great Zelda is I'm sure you'd agree.
Tue 17/05/05 at 22:49
Regular
"bot"
Dringo wrote:
> Not according to IGN, me and Cube-europe.

Oh right!
I better change my opinion that it looked crap because they thought it looked good!

how exactly do you expect me to be impressed by something I thought looked crap? Cube-Europe and you. Those are really the most unbiased sources!

[URL]http://www.cube-europe.com/games/zelda2/29.jpg[/URL]
"stunning"
Tue 17/05/05 at 22:47
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> I'm talking about E3 as a whole.
>
> Well I'm not, so stop trying to dispute me. If we're not talking
> about the same thing, then what's the problem?

I've made one comment about E3 being good and I meant it as a whole. As for the Nintendo show. There was nothing special. But it has wet my appetite that's for certain. Smash Brothers, Zelda and Mario already confirmed, the system is emphasising online play. Which will be free. Built in memory. Can play DVD's WITH downloadable games. Downloadable games is a big one I didn't see coming.

It isn't in the same league as Sony and Microsoft showage. But patience.

> And yeah, I'm overreacting, but at least it's making some healthy
> discussion.

It is.
Tue 17/05/05 at 22:45
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Dringo wrote:
> I'm talking about E3 as a whole.

Well I'm not, so stop trying to dispute me. If we're not talking about the same thing, then what's the problem?

And yeah, I'm overreacting, but at least it's making some healthy discussion.
Tue 17/05/05 at 22:44
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Ah, yes. But knowing NOE, they would probably decide not to let us download Earthbound.

Oh god, we're going to have NOE dealing with our online service aren't we? *cries*
Tue 17/05/05 at 22:43
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> It was a cracking E3.
>
> Yeah, that's your opinion, but I disagree, I think it was rubbish on
> Nintendo's part. I'm not talking about the other two, I'm talking
> about Nintendo. I think they're presentation was rubbish. You can't
> argue with me Dringo, stop trying.

I'm not argueing the show wasn't great. I'm argueing that it isn't such a big deal. I'm talking about E3 as a whole. There's more to it than Nintendo.

> You're overreacting.
>
> Good one.

You are.
Tue 17/05/05 at 22:43
Regular
Overall I think it wasn't that good for all 3 companies with Microsoft in the lead because of their head start and actual game footage. Although I enjoyed the short Zelda trailer and await videos and pictures for the new Age of Empires on the PC.
Tue 17/05/05 at 22:41
Regular
"not dead"
But honestly, there wasn't really much to it, was there. Plenty for the DS, which is nice if you have one, but if not, what do you have to look forward to in the next year? Zelda? Good, but will it last 100+ hours to make up for all of the games we WON'T be playing? Pokemon too, I suppose might be worthwhile. Even Mario Soccre might be fun.

A hasty video showing off these new ideas we all hope to see would be great, Nintendo could show it, but they'rew too bloody paranoid, thinking that everyone will steal their ideas.

Still, might finally get to play Earthbound legitimately.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.