GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spaceworld - told you so."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/05/05 at 17:20
Regular
When Nintendo revealed little information about Revolution I knew there would be another event, almost certainly Nintendo based, that would reveal the price, the games and the controller. Obviously Spaceworld is the event to do that.

There hasn't been a spaceworld since the Mario Sunshine/Wind Waker announcement. So the reply from a slew of forum users who will remain nameless declared "There has not been a Spaceworld in years, admit it Nintendo have screwed up". "Don't be so optimistic Dringo" and so forth.

Now both Miyamoto and Kaplin has confirmed that Spaceworld is certainly on the cards and Iwata has declared all the revolution info will be released by the end of the year.

And after hardcore reaction it seems almost essential.

I have to admit, that the new Nintendo console looks the best out of all of the rivals, and that makes a change!
Tue 24/05/05 at 11:23
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Can you 2 stop now please!

Its getting a liiiiitle bit repetitive now!
Mon 23/05/05 at 22:56
Regular
When I insulted the Nintendo fans who went a bit mental, aka in the original post, you went and discredited it. So I argued with you.
Mon 23/05/05 at 21:52
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I recall you calling me a moron and an idiot several times. It was me who was telling you that you weren't arguing with me and to stop insulting me, not the other way round. I'd appreciate an apology, seeing as you flatly insulted me without understanding what I'd said.
Mon 23/05/05 at 21:21
Regular
gerrid wrote:

> Now I've said that around 5 times and you still haven't taken it in,
> yet you try your cheap shots in order to look big and clever.

I'm not disagreeing with you gerrid, stop fighting me, you have a weird obsession with fighting people. I'm fighting the fans of which you speak.
Mon 23/05/05 at 19:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Yeah of course if they have a snigle slower in-order core it'll be less expensive, but it'll mean that all the developers have to use the same middleware and whatnot. Now, that's the sort of thing that Nintendo will love, because they can sell them their middleware (dev kits),so the whole thing looks unlikely, but yeah, if they went out-of-order then a lot of developers would be happy, and we'd probably see all the 3rd party games ported to the Revolution, as they could just port their code straight over without having to adapt it to the different middlewear, as the processor would re-order it whatever.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:55
"period drama"
Ah, I didn't think of that.
If the big company themselves hands out the middleware with the dev kit, then the developers can't really complain about it.

Still, if Ninty use an out-of-order one, then can get comparatively high performance from a lower spec CPU, whereas the XB360 / PS3 ones will run slower than stated.

Of course, the extra expense and space need for an OFO core doesn't really sound much like Ninty's idea of thing.
Bah.

Although would getting the slower CPU keep the costs down?
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:27
Regular
"bit of a brain"
They're definiteluy more expensive. You can fit around 3 or 4 inorder cores in the same space as 1 out of order core - that's what they've done with Cell, that's hwy it has 8 cores. Here's what the guy from the GDC said:

"Rumors" which happen to be from people who are actually working on these chips, is that straight line gameplay code runs at 1/3 to 1/10 the speed at the same clock rate on an in order core as an out of order core.

This means that your new fancy 2 plus gigahertz CPU, and its Xenon, is going to run code as slow or slower than the 733 megahertz CPU in the Xbox 1. The PS3 will be even worse. "

Basically an out-of-order core allows you to write your code in any order and the processor will sort it out for you. An in-order core means that you have to write all your code in perfect sequence and if you don't it won't work, which means a lot more time spent writing the code and fixing bugs and whatnot, and basically requires super programmers to use properly, whereas pretty much anyone can use out-of-order cores. That's why you get so many independent PC programmers, as PCs use out-of-order cores, but with the PS3 and 360 using in-order cores, developers wil find that their programmers really struggle, unless the dev kits have specific programs to convert out of order processes into order (DirectX and other middleware does this - so Microsoft have a head start and don't really need to worry). THe problem is that it means all developers will be using only a few middleware products so a lot of games will end up being the same - think about everyone using the Unreal engine for instance, which isn't exactly great for diversity. Cell is definitely in-order though (that's how they can get 8 on one chip), which means developers are gonna have hella trouble with their games unless they use middleware.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:18
"period drama"
Are they more expensive, or just bigger?

Seems like most developers would prefer them anyway.
It'd certainly fit what Ninty appears to be pushing more than anything else in any case.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:04
Regular
"bit of a brain"
A quick readabout reveals that whilst out-of-order cores give 2x the performance, you can fit 2x as many in-order cores into the same space.

Although apparently in a direct comparison, IMB found that out-of-order cores were much more efficient.

I'm guessing that the reason they don't use out-of-order cores is because they are more expensive requiring more power and space, suggesting that Nintendo probably wouldn't want to use them. Darn.
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I imagine there's some sort of downside to it. But ever since reading that I hoped the Revolution wasn't just a new control method (I've always maintained that controllers haven't pushed gaming forward), but something which would help developers create their games much easier.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.