GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 sham!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/03/01 at 14:12
Regular
Hah! finally sony have become casualties of their own marketing campaign.

The origional playstation used the theory of marketing style over substance. It worked dispite the playstation being inferior to it's competitors it had massive sales. The games were repetetive copies of each other with only a handful of titles really worth playing.

So when Sony desided to launch the PS2 they thought, well we conned all those idiots before, why can't we do it again.
Unfortunately they gave it such hype prospective gamers expected substance this time round as well as style. So when the launch titles were first seen dissapointment was heard through the streets, sure the idea of marketing the console at the supperficial masses was a good idea, but when you expect them to pay upwards of £300 for a peice of kit with faults and unrevolutionary software you thought wrong!

PS2 has sold but i doubt to the expectations of Sony, logically if you can buy a PS2 for £300 without good games available or internet play yet or a dreamcast for £100 a fantastic catalogue and net support as soon as you take it out of the box, as well as hardware capabilities to match the PS2 which would you take?

My advise is to snap up one of the Dreamcasts left around to tide you over until X-box and Gamecube.
Sat 31/03/01 at 15:15
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
The reason why people don't go out and buy a dreamcast for £100 because it would be £100 DOWN THE DRAIN!!!!!!!!!
Why would anyone want to go out and pay £100 for a piece of hardware thats DOOMED TO FAILURE?!?!?!?!?!? in about 3-5 months, i warn you DREAMCAST WILL BE GONE FOREVER!!!
Wed 14/03/01 at 22:06
"High polygon count"
> Hey Wòókiee Møn§†€R do you work for Sony
> or something? Why do you keep on defending Ps2 very much.

No, I don't work for Sony - and I don't go out of my way to defend them. I know they're not perfect, but I do object to the unwarranted bashing they're taking.

I do like the PS2, not because I'm a sucker for the hype, but because I *know* what the machine can do, and it has the games that *I* want to play. Despite the problems - which in my personal opinion are minor, but blown out of all proportion - I know enough about Sony to trust them to deliver.

The PS2 launch was not the disaster the many people seem to want it to have been. It certainly wasn't smooth or problem-free, but it was still the most successful ever. It will be bettered, there's no doubt about that - whether it be by Xbox, GameCube or even PS3 in 4 or 5 years time. And the sales are doing just fine, thankyouverymuch.

PS2 may not be the best thing since sliced bread, but it's a damn fine system. Yes, there will be better machines, but that is always the case.

I've today seen screenshots of some Xbox games, and yes, I am impressed. BUT... they aren't that much of a step up on either PS2 or Dreamcast, in my honest opinion, and while I think Xbox will sell well, I don't think it will be the runaway success that others do.

Basically, if you have a preference for the Xbox or another platform, then fair play to you. But please, don't feel the need to come to a PS2 forum and attempt to justify your decision by making out that Sony are a bad company or that PS2 is a bad machine, because all the facts prove that neither is actually the case.
Wed 14/03/01 at 18:11
Regular
He defends it because he knows the truth.
Wed 14/03/01 at 17:55
Regular
I'm going for PS2 over X-Box now... after what I saw in Gamestock, I'm very disapointed.

Only REAL game on the X-Box looks like Halo... and to be honest, nothing in the demos looked much different to what I've seen on the PS2, bar Halo. Which has been in development for years.
Wed 14/03/01 at 16:48
Regular
Hey Wòókiee Møn§†€R do you work for Sony or something? Why do you keep on defending Ps2 very much.
Wed 14/03/01 at 16:43
Regular
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> > That's why some coders are saying that it is hard to developed
> games
> for Ps2 as they look better on Xbox.

It's hard to
> develop for PS2 because games look better on the Xbox? That makes
> no sense to me.

What I actually mean't was that it is easier for coders to make games look better on the Xbox than on the Ps2.

Tue 13/03/01 at 21:55
"High polygon count"
> That's why some coders are saying that it is hard to developed games
> for Ps2 as they look better on Xbox.

It's hard to develop for PS2 because games look better on the Xbox? That makes no sense to me.

> When it comes to the HDdrive and internet connections.
> devolopers are having problems with the Ps2.

First I've hear any mention of that.

> What If it doesn't sell
> it would mean that they are developing games with internet
> capabilites for few people while they could have used thid time to
> make the game better.

You can level the same argument at Dreamcast and Xbox - they box come supplied with online capability, but what if not many people sign up?

> However this is not a problem for the Xbox as
> the hard drive is ready and the console is ready to be connected to
> the internet via braodband

The Xbox comes with an Ethernet card. Broadband is only just taking off, and you need a special network for that. Ethernet is faster, but again needs a special cable network. Ethernet is faster than broadband, but without the necessary cable infrastrucure, you won't get the full benefit of it - making it little better than broadband for some time to come. Also, a built-in card limits future expansion - something which won't affect PS2.

> if Sony had enough consoles at
> launch they would have got very good sales because everyone wanted
> to play the new machine.

Sony's sales were very good, and still are. The demand for the machine took even them by surprise, and they would most likely have struggled to supply everyone at launch even without the production troubles they had.

> what
> I'm talking about is that Americans are going to get the console
> first

Why are you so concerned about what the Americans are getting and when? Whether it be Sony, Nintendo, Sega or Microsoft, Europe and the UK are still low on their list of priorities.

> I do want Xbox to kill the Ps2.

I don't believe that will happen, because the market if more than big enough to support several formats. However, you should hope for everyone's sake that it doesn't happen, lest we end up with the console market in similar shape to the PC market.

Also, though I do not wish to offend, I have to question the intelligence of anyone who desires a premature demise to anything that they just spent £300 on, console or otherwise!
Tue 13/03/01 at 20:57
Who cares about overhyping? You really think Sony wanted it to be overhyped? They're good enough to reilise that hype kills. It nearly killed Star Wars: Episode I.

Don't pay attention to hype, get what you want.
Tue 13/03/01 at 20:39
Regular
Yes... replies to this topic are easily accessible right across the web...
Tue 13/03/01 at 20:10
might win for that if it isnt copied..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.