GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 sham!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/03/01 at 14:12
Regular
Hah! finally sony have become casualties of their own marketing campaign.

The origional playstation used the theory of marketing style over substance. It worked dispite the playstation being inferior to it's competitors it had massive sales. The games were repetetive copies of each other with only a handful of titles really worth playing.

So when Sony desided to launch the PS2 they thought, well we conned all those idiots before, why can't we do it again.
Unfortunately they gave it such hype prospective gamers expected substance this time round as well as style. So when the launch titles were first seen dissapointment was heard through the streets, sure the idea of marketing the console at the supperficial masses was a good idea, but when you expect them to pay upwards of £300 for a peice of kit with faults and unrevolutionary software you thought wrong!

PS2 has sold but i doubt to the expectations of Sony, logically if you can buy a PS2 for £300 without good games available or internet play yet or a dreamcast for £100 a fantastic catalogue and net support as soon as you take it out of the box, as well as hardware capabilities to match the PS2 which would you take?

My advise is to snap up one of the Dreamcasts left around to tide you over until X-box and Gamecube.
Sun 11/03/01 at 14:12
Hah! finally sony have become casualties of their own marketing campaign.

The origional playstation used the theory of marketing style over substance. It worked dispite the playstation being inferior to it's competitors it had massive sales. The games were repetetive copies of each other with only a handful of titles really worth playing.

So when Sony desided to launch the PS2 they thought, well we conned all those idiots before, why can't we do it again.
Unfortunately they gave it such hype prospective gamers expected substance this time round as well as style. So when the launch titles were first seen dissapointment was heard through the streets, sure the idea of marketing the console at the supperficial masses was a good idea, but when you expect them to pay upwards of £300 for a peice of kit with faults and unrevolutionary software you thought wrong!

PS2 has sold but i doubt to the expectations of Sony, logically if you can buy a PS2 for £300 without good games available or internet play yet or a dreamcast for £100 a fantastic catalogue and net support as soon as you take it out of the box, as well as hardware capabilities to match the PS2 which would you take?

My advise is to snap up one of the Dreamcasts left around to tide you over until X-box and Gamecube.
Sun 11/03/01 at 15:22
Regular
This kind of pointless topic is the main reason why I spend less time here in the Playstation 2 forum. What an idiot.
Sun 11/03/01 at 15:32
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I know ssxpro. His the person that gives the ps2 forum a bad name. That's why i tryed to make the playstation2 forum a little more interesting with my "Are we being treated unfairly by the gaming world?" topic.
Sun 11/03/01 at 17:48
Regular
"Whatever!"
I find it stupid that people still come on this PS2 forum telling us how to spend our money!!
Sun 11/03/01 at 17:49
Regular
"Whatever!"
I agree with you ssxpro - What an idiot!!
Sun 11/03/01 at 21:55
It's my money and i'll spend on whatever i want.

Darkreaper
Mon 12/03/01 at 08:04
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
bet if he had 300 quid he would buy one
Mon 12/03/01 at 12:45
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Not to mention the fact that we've heard all these arguments before and time and again have these people been proven wrong.
At least make constructive and original arguments based on fact rather than Hear-say (Not the pop-group) and speculation.
Mon 12/03/01 at 12:49
Hes got a point though.

Just Kidd ing!
Mon 12/03/01 at 19:25
I don't agree with defender of the fish. The PS2 was one of the most hyped game consoles ever but with good cause. The graphics processing power exceeds that of the Dreamcast, it can play DVDs to a reasonable quality (unlike the Dreamcast), it is backwards compatible (unlike the Dreamcast) and has a decent future (obviously unlike the Dreamcast).

However, I am not saying that the Dreamcast is rubbish. Far from it. For the time it was released, it had superior power over all other consoles and a half-decent line-up of games such as Crazy Taxi. The early release games for the PS2 were, as you point out, disappointing but look further to the future. In the next few months Gran Turismo 3 arrives on our shores and a while after that Metal Gear 2. These are just two of the shining symbols of hope for the PS2.

Also, recent reports have suggested that Sega will be developing for the PS2 so expect Crazy Taxi and Sonic to be popping up on a black box near you. Obviously, the Dreamcast is a good purchase in the short term (especially for £100!) but the PS2 is a better investment in the long-run. By the time X-box and Gamecube arrive here in the UK, the PS2 will have an established consumer base and great games pouring out of the seams. The way Sony handled the public in regards to pre-ordering was rather chaotic I admit, but I'm sure they didn't want to repeat the riot scenes in the Japanese stores. As for the £300 price tag: if you've got that kind of money, spend it as you will. I personally think it is a bargain for the top of the range games machine and DVD in one. Don't expect Uncle Gates to be any more caring to the shallow wallets of the British consumer. The console developers know that whilst the demand is there, they can charge damn near any price they like and a bit extra.

Only a few minor bugs have been reported in a certain batch of PS2's, not due to a fault in its design but to a dodgy batch of componants. Sony couldn't have predicted this but acted efficiently, replacing all of the faulty units. I have had my PS2 for several months (since the launch day) and I have never encountered one bug in the system. I grant you that the cooling fan in its back is a bit noisey at times, but no louder than a PCs. Also, when you're playing SSX or Timesplitters with the volume at full level, you don't notice a thing.

Anyway, all I am trying to say is that the PS2 is a good longterm investment. The X-box and Gamecube are quite a while away and until I see them working I will not accept the defeat of the PS2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.