GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The truth about consoles."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/03/01 at 21:30
Regular
yjr [d3 ti;rd/

yjr hs,rvinr smf cnpc dysmf mp vjsnvr

It isn`t a tough code at all.

Try it.
Sun 11/03/01 at 13:19
Regular
Edgy wrote:
"Meka tends to grab all the prizes but so do Newbies, so good luck! :)"

HE HAS ONE MORE!!!

ONLY ONE MORE!!!!

;0)

Sun 11/03/01 at 12:20
Darkness said, well...He basically seems to *really* like the X-Box, unquote.

Though I'm sure it'll be a cool system, I hate what the X-Box is going to do to this industry. Frankly, I see it as the beginning of the end for Consoles, those nice, friendly things that were stable and never forced you to reboot. Sure, the move to include more PC features benefit the graphics and all that, but you know what? I don't care. Graphics don't make the game; they may enhance it to a degree, but that's about it. I don't really care if the X-Box can pull 75 trillion polygons per second at its peak performance...who needs it? In the last ten years or so, some of the best games I've played have been on the GameBoy. The limitations involved with developing for a weaker system like the GameBoy have forced designers to be truly inventive.

That's the thing: I don't have any interest in a console dishing out the power of a PC if it means coming with all the same failings and stability issues. I like playing games on my PC; after all, there are some truly great ones out there. But, when it comes to ease and stability, when I want a guaranteed worthwhile gaming experience...I turn on any available console or handheld. Because I can trust that they'll be ready and willing to cooperate, not shoving some glitch or error message down my throat.
Sun 11/03/01 at 08:55
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
A simple soloution. An external console drive.
For example, with Bill Gates' new X-box, links with PC's are very possible. In fact the 'box has a USB port (slightly mosified, but still), and uses a Pentium processor. Wheres the difficulty in having and X-Box linked to your PC, and sitting next to your scanner. A great idea you say! It gives the graphics and high performance of a Pc, and it's monitor, with all the great console games that could never be converted to PC. And you could play brilliant multiplayer games on the console when friends come, and play brilliant multiplayer games over the internet on the Pc when you are alone. Not to mention it now be easy for Bill Gates to put 'box games on the internet for download ( for a price, but a reduced one), and you could play it off of your hard drive.
And when you need a break from your gaming, turn on some music, surf the net, or chat with some friends. And this special version of th X-box would be cheaper, as it can use some of the PC's resources instead of being standalone.
Hell, you could even play an x-box game over the internet, or it's own modem, with your web cam plugged in, showing your oponent in a small browser window. Wicked!
You could even use your joystick and keyboard to play those games that have just too many combinations for a controller.
'But wouldn't this make piracy easier? I mean, people could make a pirate copy and distribute it over the 'net!'
No they wouldn't. The X-box and GC are both being made 'pirate proof' ( okay, some really intent people could manage a copy or two, but not on a wide scale), so games downloaded from anywhere but microsoft would not work.
What other problems could there be?
Well, computers do crash a lot, although the PC-X-box would run mainly seperately, so you only need the monitorto continue playing.
Hackers. Viruses. Both pose a problem, as then your X-box would also be ripe for a virus. A new anti-virus program made just for the box would probably do the trick!
PseudoSavant said that both the PC and console are great gaming systems, well now you can have both!
|End Mesage|
Sun 11/03/01 at 04:40
Wait a second, what is this about? Look, be it a console or a PC, there are good games on each. And there are games available on each that the other will never see. I've still yet to see a console-based port of the phenomenal PC game "Thief" or of "Tribes". Not to mention the concept of a Massively Multiplayer Online Game {with PSW qualities} on the console. True, they may exist in the future, but will there be as much complexity? Probably not. Having an entire keyboard of buttons to macro actions is, once you get used to it, far superior to having the limited number on consoles.

Look, there are good games on everything. They each do different things very well, perhaps better than the other. But the PC and console are both rather good gaming systems.
Sat 10/03/01 at 23:16
Oh and ortega, I spent far less than £1000 and I use it for games about 20% of the time. You can't do very much else with a console....

And RTS games are far better on the PC. And you can d/l some cool free/shareware games from the net (ok so not nearly as good as a proper game but they are often fun for a few weeks).

MA
Sat 10/03/01 at 23:12
You tell hin Perrin! :-)

And PC games can be mod'd by everyone, creating a richer and more varied gaming experience.

Well that is my theory anyway...

MA
Sat 10/03/01 at 23:08
Regular
sorry i just remembered somethin...i suppose the PC does have Championship manager....somethin that would never appear on a console(without a hard drive at least)
Sat 10/03/01 at 23:06
Regular
what the hell u talking about u MADMAN! console games are much better compared to PC games. most pc games are on consoles anyway. And why da hell would u spend £1000 plus just to play games?! flippin stupid.
Sat 10/03/01 at 23:01
1)Why are you all typing in coded? Speak english like everyone else so that all can understand you please

2)Stop fooling yourselves, a console can NEVER, and i mean NEVER be as could as a PC can be. It is impossible. And dont say 'oh wait for this new console to come out, it will be so much better than a PC' because newer, faster and better PC's come out all the time. And dont get me started on graphics, i mean come on people how can a TV screen possibly produce graphics at the standard of a PC monitor ? IT CANT.

PC's are the future of all gaming, not PS2's or X-Box's

-Perrin
Sat 10/03/01 at 23:00
Regular
Hehe. You`re my little brother`s age!
I take it you are GCSE year?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.