GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The truth about consoles."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/03/01 at 21:30
Regular
yjr [d3 ti;rd/

yjr hs,rvinr smf cnpc dysmf mp vjsnvr

It isn`t a tough code at all.

Try it.
Wed 15/07/09 at 12:46
"The Boss Lady"
'Abject Failure' – 2008

Montage Film Reviews freelancer Wendy McCredie MA has written a review of the Hammer Horror film 'Blood From The Mummy's Tomb' 1971 (dir. Seth Holt & Michael Carreras).

To read the review see here
Mon 12/03/01 at 13:51
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
PseudoSavant wrote:
That's the problem. I doubt
> it. If the X-Box is successful, it'll be because of its internal
> structure being based quite heavily off the PC's. Sony will follow
> suit with the PS3;

What do you mean by internal structure? ... I suspect the consoles will primarily be using custom chips, at least for another 2-3 generations... Which would stick them more in the Apple/Amiga class computer? ... or... as I REALLY suspect... have I missed the point entirely here?

Agreed. I want things to move on as well, so
> long as consoles remain distinctive from PCs.

Aye true... kind of like the difference between Pubs and Bars...

Add in also the fact that many gamers
> think graphics are the secret to a good game. *sighs*

Although when I had a Speccy, I used to look forward to the day when computer game graphics looked as good as the loading screens :)

My
> biggest problem when I speak of stability isn't regarding the game
> but rather the system's stability. I know quite a few people who are
> very avid PC gamers; they're constantly getting new games,
> downloading patches for them - I mean, they go that additional mile.

Windows overall stability does suck... which considering the stability of other PC based OS's does mean its not a problem inherant to the open system architecture...

Although I always download patches as I find them... I rarly find they have any effect to the game as I play, and that they often affect the more ususual systems config?

> But here's the deal: They also tend to perform a full-format on
> their PCs every few months or so, sometimes even more rapidly.

They really shouldnt need to do this... although if your using Win95/98 with a pre V5 Explorer... whach has a habit of burrowing further and further into the kernal every use until the system perminatly crashes :) ... I've never need to reformat, except for required times... when instyalling a new OS, changing HD partitions, etc..

> too. You download a patch and it alters a configuration in your OS's
> coding in order to work appropriately.

Going back to sloppy Games coding though huh? Though Ive only ever really noticed a performance hit as a result of Windows dodgy memory mangament... None of the games I've used have replaced any OS compnents, except by updateing DirectX, etc...?
Mon 12/03/01 at 08:21
Regular
"not dead"
ssxpro wrote:

>yjr [d3 ti;rd/

>yjr hs,rvinr smf cnpc dysmf mp vjsnvr

Which translates to:

the ps2 rules.

the gamecube and the xbox stand no chabce

Indeed the xbox and gamecube stand no chabce! Not standing for chabce is what good consoles do! :-p
Mon 12/03/01 at 07:27
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> They'll still be around... but now there will be more of a choice? <

That's the problem. I doubt it. If the X-Box is successful, it'll be because of its internal structure being based quite heavily off the PC's. Sony will follow suit with the PS3; it'll become more like a PC since that seemed to work so well with the X-Box. Nintendo may not do this, but even Yamauchi will eventually have to realize that trying to compete with PC-based consoles is only going to get his systems killed. In the end, I honestly expect consoles to become nothing more than PCs that come with a controller for ease of gaming. They're already beginning to feature all the same peripherals as PCs.

> True... but in the early 80's I had great fun with some ASCII games... which I remeber fondly now... however I still want things to moe on...computers have always been about near constant change and development. <

Agreed. I want things to move on as well, so long as consoles remain distinctive from PCs.

> As it was with the Speccy... And I think most coders today are wasteful with their resources... <

Add in also the fact that many gamers think graphics are the secret to a good game. *sighs*

> Comming back to a pretty standard Shanks question... how often do you get games errors? ... Personally... I havnt had a professional title crash on me, at all, since Ultima9 was released? <

My biggest problem when I speak of stability isn't regarding the game but rather the system's stability. I know quite a few people who are very avid PC gamers; they're constantly getting new games, downloading patches for them - I mean, they go that additional mile. But here's the deal: They also tend to perform a full-format on their PCs every few months or so, sometimes even more rapidly. Should this be happening considering they themselves are computer programmers? No, not really, but they've told me that it's often unavoidable.

"See, the problems with a lot of these games is this: You got your standard OS, mostly Windows, and you install files into its framework that allow you to play these games up to the level they're meant to be played. This can happen with patches too. You download a patch and it alters a configuration in your OS's coding in order to work appropriately. Well, what happens is: Let's say one game changes the code in this way, then another one you're playing necessitates a change that alters it another way. Well, eventually, with all this mix-matching of code-changing, you're going to alter things so badly that the OS becomes unstable. Because the games or patches have altered the manner in which it functions enough that it no longer functions as it was meant to. Most OSs, especially Windows, are actually rather static. They aren't very flexible, they don't handle change well. This leads to the corruption of your system - it slows down, locks up more frequentally, and then gradually requires a full format just to get it back in working order." [This is from an essay one of my friends wrote, entitled "The Frailties of PC Gaming". He's mentioned to me that he refuses to buy a X-Box for a similar reason; it's because he (and he guesses that he speaks for numerous people) wants something different from both the PC and the console. He doesn't want them to be alike, because then you minimize what consoles were meant to be in the first place.]

He and I have talked about this a lot, and we share the same opinion on it. THAT's why I don't like what the X-Box could potentially bring about in this industry.
Mon 12/03/01 at 00:01
Regular
"everyone says it"
Its kind of a white building that is fat in the center and then it spilts into different divisions, its a modern building like a low tower block with bit of the top knocked off. They have I think 4 HQ's in the US.
Sun 11/03/01 at 23:57
Regular
whats the HQ look like? is there a big mario on the side of the building!
Sun 11/03/01 at 23:55
Regular
"everyone says it"
No my dad knew someone there (best friend) he had a place so my dad had a holiday while I kinda worked, I didn't enjoy it as I was rather scared at 13 but determind to make an impression! its some huge building! the toilets are bigger then my house.
Sun 11/03/01 at 23:52
Regular
what was u doing in LA? did u used to live there?
Sun 11/03/01 at 23:48
your one lucky boy
Sun 11/03/01 at 23:44
Regular
"everyone says it"
lets just say that luck kinda went my way, I insisted that the Nintendo gave me work experience so I worked in a department for two weeks, after the first few days I kinda got bored in that area and started to explore the building! I got completely lost as The NOA building is LA is massive! so I walked into this office were a two young guys were sitting and testing a game, they were playing a test version of Perfect Dark, I was only 13 at the time and I can remember just standing there with them not noticing I was even there, I managed to get behind the open door and watched for about 25 mins, then one of the said screw this and left the room and the other said 'hang on I will get us some coffee', there I was PD infront of me only a few people in the world had even played it..I couldn't resist, I pressed the pause button and the game was kinda horrible, I am used to it now, the game had no backdrops, no detail but he game was there in its full 'mode of play'. I was just breezing around playing the first level and I was amazed and how everything was so weird, no detail, no bricks and then I came to what I know now as the final PD boss, I managed to kill him without being shot (dont ask me bloody how), I heard one of the men coming back so I hid behind the door forgetting to press the Start button and restart the level. He came in and then saw the Test Complete screen and looked around the room to see me hiding behind the door, he didn't shout, he just pulled me out and asked me how long I had been playing games? I said since I was 2 and it kinda started from there, NOA have me under contract, so when I am 16 I can test games for the Nintendo British HQ (new). but I couldn't be bothered to wait, my dad said Eidos are a few minutes away from where I live, so last summer I walked into the builing and starting talking the boss there, he was more interested in why Nintendo were interested then being interested in me. but after him staring at my NOA report he became some sort of best friend! After that he offered me more money then Nintendo but no signed agreement, therefore I can move back to Nintendo HQ and test games whenever I want after august.

Thats my story, I say just don't give up, and RARE are looking for 14-18year old games testers so get there details from somewhere and give it a go, you never ever know!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.