GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IS the Playstation 2 to really worth spending 300 odd pounds?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/03/01 at 17:29
Regular
All im saying is that yeah the playstation 2 has a DVD in it, yeah it has the best Graphics any console has ever been able to produce but other console makers like Nintendo and Dreamcast will target this oppurtunity. They will bring out new consoles with better Graphics and better gameplay for a lot less than £300 making the Playstation a lot less popular for example the gamecube. If you think about kids these day dont have £300 lying around anywhere and there mum and dad arent just gonna give them £300 quid so my advice is either buy the gamecube or wait till the price goes down.
Sun 11/03/01 at 18:00
You see, the thing is - at the moment thanks to Dreamcast, Sega's games are just so much fun to play, as well as looking like true next gen titles, that they wouldn't look out of place on any of the announced new consoles! But maybe Shenmue should stay a DC exclusive - it's better that way.
Sun 11/03/01 at 17:58
Really? Name 5 games planned for GC - I know Sega will be backing the GBA a lot, so maybe they will indeed be a GC developer.
Sun 11/03/01 at 17:56
Regular
Perhaps I made a mistake on the Namco comment... but I am very sure of Sega backing Nintendo a lot more than the others...
Sun 11/03/01 at 17:47
"Expect little support from Sega for the PS2 Dan, I've said many times, they are going to be supporting Gamecube a hell of a lot more...

And back on PS2's third party crisis, what about Namco? Probably the most famous one of the last month, Namco have lost millions... and blame only PS2, which is why they will now be completly backing Gamecube instead.

I am being completly honest here, if I owned a PS2, I would be trying to sell it... "

Grix - Sega and Sony and Namco are pushing for great things - the PS2 is the fastest selling console in history, and in Japan the games are ruling the charts - I mean MotoGP and SSX are in the UK top ten - that's better than most DC games, although I was delighted when Virtua Tennis made no.1 - lovely stuff.

Namco - completely backing GC? Nah.

Sell the PS2? So soon? I think not.

But I think you're all fogeting that Sega will rule once more - with software sales as well as Hardware in terms of the PAce box.

The XBox is about 15inches by 14inches by 3 inches - how big do they want it to be? For that reason alone it will fail. The GC has a handle.

Anyway - GT3 in demo form is pathetic, and nothing will ever touch Shenmue.

Shenmue is superb.

Goodbye!
Sun 11/03/01 at 17:20
I've never heard any analysts say that, but okay...
Sun 11/03/01 at 17:12
Regular
I read something about that, though I`ve forgotten what it all said. Basically though, it said the capabilities were the same, but that developers could achieve it more quickly with the GC. However, put the time into the PS2, and it`ll do just as well. We`ll see that in games later this year, and shortly before the release of the GC.
Sun 11/03/01 at 17:10
ssxpro:

Graphics-wise, it doesn't make any difference. The PS2 is able to render two textures with every pass; the GC can do either six or eight, meaning that (whichever the case) it renders the graphics quicker and without slowdown. If the PS2 developers put in the same number of textures, it'll slow the machine down, which means they'll avoid that many to save from it.
Sun 11/03/01 at 16:47
Regular
Is it more powerful. The CPU is larger, but as soon as the PS2 developers tap into the vector units properly there will be little difference, which will mean that the games will be what wins it, not the power of the machine.
Sun 11/03/01 at 16:47
Regular
"I like cheese"
PseudoSavant wrote:
> I agree that MGS looks damn good. But to say that it beats out what
> the Gamecube can do is just being unreasonable, as the Cube is the
> more powerful machine and could easily match the PS2's capabilities.
> Be fair.

I don't feel like being fair. {:) {:) {:)

Also, I suppose I shouldn't sink to that level, but I just can't seem to post anything without all this stuff about, "b******t" or whatever.

Sorry matey. As a long-time regular I should be setting a better example.
Sun 11/03/01 at 16:44
I agree that MGS looks damn good. But to say that it beats out what the Gamecube can do is just being unreasonable, as the Cube is the more powerful machine and could easily match the PS2's capabilities. Be fair.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.