GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anime/Manga"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/10/03 at 15:01
Regular
"You fail in life!"
Any of the guys and gals in here, like or watch any anime and manga?
Tue 28/10/03 at 23:45
Regular
"I'm Great."
One of my first exposures to anime was Orguss O2. That was about three or four years ago. I just managed to find them on video last year.

I've seen a few different series. Neon Genesis Evangelion, Martian Sucessor Nadesico, Excel saga, Bubblegum Crisis, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT. I'm currently watching Chobits and Outlaw star. I've also got Cowboy Bebop to watch too.

Of all the stuff I've seen some of my favorites have been Patlabour 1 and 2, Macross Plus (three disc set), Ghost in the shell and Bubblegum Crash. Pretty much the bigger named titiles. I still haven't seen Akira fully though.

What else do you get in Newtype besides the DVD? I take it there are a lot of interviews and other such stuff?
Tue 28/10/03 at 22:55
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Yes. And yes I'm male. And yes I can do a hatchet job on anyone elses username as well if I have to. She's my favourite anime character, barring Eclair from Kiddy Grade, and those Patlabor things.
Tue 28/10/03 at 22:47
Regular
"always swirling"
Belldandy, did you get your name from OMG?
i'm slow today.
Tue 28/10/03 at 22:29
Regular
kittworld wrote:
> I think I might pick up Newtype then, do you get yours from your anime
> supplier? I wonder how good the DVD is that comes with it. I think
> the price for the magazine varies, not cheap.

I pay £6.99. Typically the DVD contains a minimum of one complete episode of a not a forthcoming series, with sub and dub options, usually a pile of trailers, recently it's been two episodes minimum. I get mine from a comic shop in Nottingham www.page45.com but they do do mail order - the great thing is they don't rip people off for import things, you get it at roughly the $=£ rate plus a little extra but it's well worth it.

> Some series that might interest you, Cowboy Bebop (ah you're bound to
> have seen that), Trigun (very funny, becomes more serious), NieA
> Under 7 (that ones great), oooo and Serial Experiments Lain that one
> is great not to mention Boogiepop Phantom, Hellsings good, a couple
> of the darker series of anime lol.

Never seen Cowboy bebop, to be honest the name put me off, though I did see the newly released Region 2 movie in MVC today and it sounds okay, but right now I'm after a few bits of anime merchandise from eBay US so it'll have to wait a while. Serial Experiments Lain is one I've heard of, I want it on region 2 as soon as it makes it out, Boogiepop Phantom I came close to buying, but bought the Noir stuff instead, and again with Hellsing I've seen it in adverts, and saw a DVD in MVC, but it doesn't look my thing. With a few exceptions I'm more into the light hearted stuff like Ah My Goddess, Love Hina, You're under Arrest or the jokey stuff like Excel Saga and that. The two Patlabor films remain my all time favourites strangely, for anime films anyway.

> I hope Shadow Angel has some ideas on what to check out. One series I
> really want is El Hazard, just can't seem to find it, by the Tenchi
> Muyo guys.

Heard of Tenchi Muyo, got the McFarlanes figure of her and the bunny thing, but not El Hazard, though a search of eBay reveals many items. Have you seen any of Full Metal Panic yet ? I really really like it, the characters are so...something.
Tue 28/10/03 at 21:41
Regular
"always swirling"
i've got quite a few oh my goddess comics, the stories are pretty naff but the drawings are second to none.

p.s.
has anyone heard of a comic called angelarm? i saw a few papes of it in some 'how to draw anime' book and it looked great.
Tue 28/10/03 at 19:53
Regular
I think I might pick up Newtype then, do you get yours from your anime supplier? I wonder how good the DVD is that comes with it. I think the price for the magazine varies, not cheap.

Actually Belldandy from your list you've seen a fair bit. You've seen all of chobits, excel saga and love hina, they're good titles. Its good to see people being interested in series beyond that of those released by Manga Entertainment. (i.e Akira and Eva)

Some series that might interest you, Cowboy Bebop (ah you're bound to have seen that), Trigun (very funny, becomes more serious), NieA Under 7 (that ones great), oooo and Serial Experiments Lain that one is great not to mention Boogiepop Phantom, Hellsings good, a couple of the darker series of anime lol. Vandread I enjoyed, a funny Eva it is, men against women. One of the new series to look out for is Azumanga, that series I just keep going back to it's so funny.

I hope Shadow Angel has some ideas on what to check out. One series I really want is El Hazard, just can't seem to find it, by the Tenchi Muyo guys.
Tue 28/10/03 at 18:01
Regular
I'd say Newtype was more for anyone interested in Anime - after all around 1/4 of the mag is devoted to 4-8 page spreads showcasing new shows with character info, plenty of pictures, plot lines etc, also each issue has a manga strip that hasn't been release yet in it - at the moment it's this cool looking one called Angel/Dust - I'm no way a hardcore anime fan, I know the names of about 2 anime creators, about zero of the history, and I just buy/watch/read what I see. I haven't seen Spirited Away mainly because it just doesn't appeal to me.
Tue 28/10/03 at 17:13
Regular
Another reason why Spirited Away took so long was because they were waiting for it to win the Academy Awards which was a good move as it really helped it.

I don't use ebay, I do get a lot of new titles from play.com. I regret to say I've even gone as far as to download fansubs (something that I've always disliked). Althought I tend to get those that I know I will be buying on DVD, although I do own 171 hours of anime on this computer.

That does sound quite expensive but have you seen R1 of FLCL? 2 episodes per DVD and for some reason some of the main importers don't sell it so you could be paying 11 pounds per episode. Still a great series.

ADV have done a lot, I believe they've even released none ADV animes. I still blame them for the mangas though, Viz have been selling mangas in the UK for quite a long time, they even helped boxtree do a Ranma 1/2 version, which only lasted two volumes in 1994 9 years ago. I forgot about Ironfist Chimini, I wonder what happened to that.

I still think the way to improve things is a magazine (is Newtype more for hardcore fans then someone who just caught ultimate muscle on tv and wants to find out more about anime?), promote the clubs, conventions, release dates, actually telling people about anime and manga.
Tue 28/10/03 at 16:49
Regular
kittworld wrote:
> I think a few of those titles are coming to the UK, I feel ashamed to
> say I still havent even picked up a Newtype isn't there a tiny UK
> section? I think Jonathan Clements the old Manga Max editor does some
> articles.

Half a side of A4 basically (that's the UK content). Though the DVD that comes with it (despite saying it is Region 1) is ALL region and it has introduced me to tons more stuff. today I collected the 1 year anniversary issue and it has TWO DVD's worth of episodes and trailers :D

Getting hold of stuff can be hard in the UK - I'm lucky to have found a retailer that loves anime stuff and has a brilliant reservations service (that's how I get Newtype USA monthly). With regard to the UK market, I don't think it's too fair to blame the USA companies (without ADV we wouldn't have this latest boom anyway IMO) - UK companies are being very wary - probably rightly so - about spending money on licenses that may not make anything for them.

Do you use eBay kittworld ? I'd suggest (if possible) you sign up for Paypal and get some of the new stuff from the Asian sellers because it's a very good way to get new series. Part of me wonders just how legal they are, but on the other hand 1000's of eBay sellers sell them and to my knowledge not one has ever been shut down.

On another note I think we're being royally screwed over valuewise - the new Full Metal Panic has FOUR episodes on, for 19.99 ! They're about 20 mins each, and if you cut out the titles and "next on Full Metal Panic" then it's less than that. Some of the Neon Genesis Evangelion DVD's have just 3 episodes one as well ! Manga Entertainment may be a little slow, but at least they're relative value for money - Patlabor 1 + 2 for £20 was a bargain.
Tue 28/10/03 at 16:39
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> The worst thing is, in that place we call America, They get a whole
> Television channel dedicated to Anime.

It's worth noting two things about this channel though ( I see the schedule in the Newtype USA mag);

1 - most of the programming is ADV stuff - Excel Saga, Neon Genesis, Full Metal Panic and so on - that's not bad but remember not everyone likes all anime.
2 - it is only available in some cities. Barely any towns (as far as I know) and certainly not small places.
3 - it's a subscription channel as well.

Don't get me wrong, it's great, but not flawless. Over here I suspect the subscription would be massive because it would further kill ADV's sales, and the user base would be a lot lot smaller.

> Why did Spirited Away take so long to reach our shores?

1 - People sorting out who was going to get the rights to show it and distribute it over here, and convincing those companies that it would make money
2 - Convincing some cinema's of the same thing
3 - Waiting for the right time to show it when it stood a chance of making any money at all.

Bare in mind that until this year the number of shows available on DVD was minimal, then ADV started releases and it's getting better.

> Belldandy - Was it you that said Forbidden Planet (In broadmarsh
> centre) sometimes sell's anime DVD's?

They do, but they suck - I suggest going to Another World (top floor) for a better selection or try MVC - went in today and they've restocked a little. Really though Play.com is the place to go - generally £5 off RRP at least on most titles. For Manga (especially Tokyo Pop) go to either Travelling Man (top deck of Gamestation) and Page 45 (just by Another World).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.