GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are videogames becoming too mainstream??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/03/01 at 08:46
Regular
Today I'ld like to ask the question:

Are videogames becoming too mainstream??

And is this a good thing or a bad thing? I've thought about it and there are many advantages and disadvantages. One of the main advantages is that its no longer seen as "Nerdy" to play videogames, also bigger and better games are now being made, as more money is now circulating in the game industry.
There is of course a bad side too, Barbie Race and Ride and the Spice girls videogame spring to mind! Not to mention the ton of really really poor Film to Videogame rip offs!

So whats your opinion?
Sat 10/03/01 at 12:46
Your Honour wrote:
> This is in reply to PseudoSavant.

You say that you can pick up a pack of 10 CD-R's for £4, ok fair enough, no problem with that. <

That wasn't me. New Jimmy said that.

> But what else are you paying for when you buy a game? You aren't just paying for the th CD you are also paying for the actual game and the packaging and everything that surrounds the game as well. <

I'm aware of this.

> Shenmue for the DC cost something like £50million to develop so they have to get the money back for that somehow. <

I haven't any figures to back up what I'm about to say, but...There is no way possible that Shenmue cost 50 million to develop. They would've had to sell an unholy number of copies in order to just break even after that.

> Also, normally when you buy a console game, some of the money that you pay goes towards Sega or Sony or Nintendo because they licencse out to developers. With PC's this doesnt happen because there are a number of different PC manufacturers, therefore the games can be cheaper. <

Agreed. That's something I didn't add into it.

> I paid £55 for Extreme G on my N64 when it first came out, which seems a lot but it was worth it cos it was such an amazing game, I paid for the privelege of playing a good game, which is whats supposed to happen when console manufacturers licence out, they are supposed to do a quality control thing to make sure that the game is up to stadard to play on their system. <

I think the only company that does this - or is known for doing this - is Nintendo; others might do it as well, but I haven't heard anything about them.
Sat 10/03/01 at 10:25
Regular
I've just thought of another reason why console games are more expensive. How many adverts do see for PC games, either on the TV, billboards in magazines etc? How many do you see for console games? The money to advertise the games on TV has to come from somewhere, and paying £40 for a games probably contributes a lot towards that.
Sat 10/03/01 at 09:43
Regular
Typo, sorry, hey im still half asleep!
I meant that its not very applicable to what i wrote
Sat 10/03/01 at 09:42
Regular
After reading back through what i wrote its very applicable is it! I think what im trying to say is that you are paying for other things besides the actual CD that the game comes on, which is what psuedosavant said.
Sat 10/03/01 at 09:38
It depends. If you're going to the pub to have a nice evening you pay £2.50. If your going to get hamered you put up with the mank!
I'm not sure how this translates to gaming though?
By the way you made a good point:)
Sat 10/03/01 at 09:18
Regular
manky old pub with crap music, or £2.50 in a nice decent pub that plays good music and is more comfortable?

Sorry about this going into two messages, not quite sure what happened there.
Sat 10/03/01 at 09:17
Regular
This is in reply to PseudoSavant.
You say that you can pick up a pack of 10 CD-R's for £4, ok fair enough, no problem with that. But what else are you paying for when you buy a game? You aren't just paying for the th CD you are also paying for the actual game and the packaging and everything that surrounds the game as well. Shenmue for the DC cost something like £50million to develop so they have to get the money back for that somehow. Also, normally when you buy a console game, some of the money that you pay goes towards Sega or Sony or Nintendo because they licencse out to developers. With PC's this doesnt happen because there are a number of different PC manufacturers, therefore the games can be cheaper.

I paid £55 for Extreme G on my N64 when it first came out, which seems a lot but it was worth it cos it was such an amazing game, I paid for the privelege of playing a good game, which is whats supposed to happen when console manufacturers licence out, they are supposed to do a quality control thing to make sure that the game is up to stadard to play on their system.

Put it like this, would you rather spend £2 on a pint in a
Sat 10/03/01 at 01:42
New Jimmy wrote:
> But we still get ripped off on our consoles!

Not really. A really good PC that can run essentially any game available right now is going to be over 1000 quid, while consoles are available between 1-300. Not to mention the fact that consoles are far more stable, with the potential exception of the X-Box.

As for the cost of software: You've easier access to it, considering how expensive PCs are compared to consoles. Also, as long as it's a good game, I don't feel like I'm getting 'ripped off' on it. My previous example of buying the original Legend of Zelda worked like this: It cost me more than any other game has since then, but it didn't bother me since I loved it. Only time I feel ripped is when I buy a game and it turns out lousy.
Fri 09/03/01 at 18:10
I just picked up a second hand copy of Quake2 for my N64 for £2 at a charity shop. Bargain!

But we still get ripped off on our consoles!
Fri 09/03/01 at 09:28
New Jimmy wrote:
> Arent you sick of PC gamers getting a better deal than console owners! <

Of course, but it doesn't matter. The reason why PC games are typically cheaper than console ones is just what I told you: When an industry is having trouble, the prices for things revolving around that go down. PC gaming doesn't pull in nearly as much as consoles do, or sell even half as many units. That's why, in the end, I'll be playing Halo on my PC: It'll cost probably over 40 when it comes out for the X-Box, but I'll be able to get it cheaper and have it run better on my PC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.