GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are videogames becoming too mainstream??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/03/01 at 08:46
Regular
Today I'ld like to ask the question:

Are videogames becoming too mainstream??

And is this a good thing or a bad thing? I've thought about it and there are many advantages and disadvantages. One of the main advantages is that its no longer seen as "Nerdy" to play videogames, also bigger and better games are now being made, as more money is now circulating in the game industry.
There is of course a bad side too, Barbie Race and Ride and the Spice girls videogame spring to mind! Not to mention the ton of really really poor Film to Videogame rip offs!

So whats your opinion?
Wed 14/03/01 at 07:07
Again, I have to ask, "What's the incentive for making their games cheaper?" Truth is, there really isn't any. Despite the fact that it makes sense to us (the gamers), it doesn't benefit them any. For one thing, companies have the potential to make far more with console games than they do PC ones. I've read a recent article about PC gaming and, if you thought developers for the PS2 had it tough this year, you should hear about these poor people. PC developers are struggling right now, badly.

I frankly doubt that Microsoft will lower the price of their console games.
Tue 13/03/01 at 15:01
Microsoft has a clear advantage in promoting cheaper games, I would assume that Microsoft would charge developers a set price(i.e. per unit) for making discs for its machine! Then its up to the developer how much he charges the retailer and customer for the game.

If this is the set up, then you can see that Microsoft would gain more money when more games are sold, and not when games are sold at a higher RRP.

Of course Microsoft could decide to charge a % profit, however I dont believe they will as this is not the norm.

Even so if games are cheaper to port over from the PC to the X-box then they should be cheaper to produce.
Games producers usually drop the price of their games after a few months once theyve broken even on their game and sales slow down. Since developers will break even quicker due to lower costs of production then I believe the cost of X-box games will be significantly cheaper than on other systems.
Tue 13/03/01 at 06:01
New Jimmy wrote:
> Ild dissagree I think the X-box will significantly reduce the price of gaming. Microsoft itself has said it will charge third party companies less than Sony, Sega or Nintendo ever did for making games for its console. Also if games are as easy to port as you say with the X-box then this saving will eventually be passed on to the consumer with cheaper games. <

No, it won't. Gamers have grown accustomed to the high price of console games, and they're more than willing to pay it. What incentive does Microsoft have for dropping the price of its games below the present standards if people are willing to pay the higher one? NONE.

> We all hate Microsoft, but theyre a smart company and Im sure since they own direct X, the software used to make all the top games run in Windows..that they have an upper hand in making PC ports to the X-box very easy for developers! <

All true, but this won't alter the price of console games.

> I envisage a market more like the PC games market emerging! <

Don't 'envisage' too much. You'll be disappointed.
Mon 12/03/01 at 17:41
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
New Jimmy wrote:
If Sony could push ahead with some creative PC type
> software and bundle it with a PC hard drive, keyboard etc add on too
> the PS2 I would gladly buy the PS2!

Sonys using a mouse'n'keyboard arnt they?

And a hard-drive and other stuff even! :)

Which, at least will allow console gamers to compete with PC gamers on UT/Quake/etc...
Mon 12/03/01 at 17:39
I think a return to the gaming computer would be great, although I hate Microsoft and wish someone else would push a head with a similar idea. I dont like Microsoft because I think their software is poor, especially when it comes to creativity such as music or art!

If Sony could push ahead with some creative PC type software and bundle it with a PC hard drive, keyboard etc add on too the PS2 I would gladly buy the PS2!
Mon 12/03/01 at 17:06
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
PseudoSavant wrote:
> Shanks:

Well, I hold nothing against the PSOne; I'm rather glad
> it was able to retain gamers that have grown up a little over the
> history of console gaming.

I think even more than that... since most people, after the early 90's console resurgance, left their SNES and Megadrives to the attick and boot sales...

It was the PS1 that not only brought people en masse back to consoles, but made them almost as standard as video recorders... although it'll be interesting to see how the public reacts as it slowly realises that, unlike video recorders, TV's, Microwaves, etc... you have to buy a new console every few years or be obsolete...

> they like the X-Box is because it's like developing a game for a PC;
> it's a lot easier. This adds to the higher price of console
> games.

Sticking with the PS1... even though it is initially harder to develop for than a PC... its familarity over time will have lead to it being a lot easier for older hands to knock out gameing code? ... I suppose I'm asking why PS1 games are still expensive, compaired to PC games, when its been around long enough for developers to feel comfortable with the format?

What I do see as the
> X-Box's potential is that it'll lead to the eventual destruction of
> console systems altogether. If its supporters feel that's just fine,
> then so be it. I personally hate the idea and wish it'd never come
> to be. What people seem to neglect, and something that Your Honour
> and I have commented on before, is that the more like a PC consoles
> become, the less they'll appeal to a larger player base. Because the
> simplicity and stability of the console will be gone; it'll have the
> same faults that any PC has.

For whom? consoles are developed to appeal to the mass market much more than PC titles. Though the XBox has a PC architecture, its target audience wont be PC style game players... they'll be looking for the SNES, PS1, et al. classic console experience.

Equally what is wrong with a return to the gameing computer as oppsoed to console... if the XBox does well, it will have cournered the PC based console market... other manufacturers Nintendo, Sony, etc.. will have to use their non-PC structure aws their strenth... Amiga500 Vs IBM PC 386
Mon 12/03/01 at 13:58
But the X-Box won't alter the console game's price. As I've said before, as long as people will pay the inflated price, it'll remain the same.

Ild dissagree I think the X-box will significantly reduce the price of gaming. Microsoft itself has said it will charge third party companies less than Sony, Sega or Nintendo ever did for making games for its console. Also if games are as easy to port as you say with the X-box then this saving will eventually be passed on to the consumer with cheaper games.

We all hate Microsoft, but theyre a smart company and Im sure since they own direct X, the software used to make all the top games run in Windows..that they have an upper hand in making PC ports to the X-box very easy for developers!

I envisage a market more like the PC games market emerging!
Mon 12/03/01 at 06:33
Shanks:

Well, I hold nothing against the PSOne; I'm rather glad it was able to retain gamers that have grown up a little over the history of console gaming. N64, despite it being a nice machine, sure couldn't have; at least not as easily.

As for production costs: It's a LOT easier to develop for a PC than it is for a console; it's been that way recently to be certain, with the developmental difficulties involved with the N64 and the PS2. One of the reasons why you'll hear quite a few developers comment as to why they like the X-Box is because it's like developing a game for a PC; it's a lot easier. This adds to the higher price of console games.

But the X-Box won't alter the console game's price. As I've said before, as long as people will pay the inflated price, it'll remain the same. People are willing to pay over 40 quid for a console game, so why should they lower it? So don't expect the X-Box's being like a PC to alter that.

What I do see as the X-Box's potential is that it'll lead to the eventual destruction of console systems altogether. If its supporters feel that's just fine, then so be it. I personally hate the idea and wish it'd never come to be. What people seem to neglect, and something that Your Honour and I have commented on before, is that the more like a PC consoles become, the less they'll appeal to a larger player base. Because the simplicity and stability of the console will be gone; it'll have the same faults that any PC has.
Sun 11/03/01 at 22:03
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
New Jimmy wrote:
> Still too expensive for me,

Strangly enough... that was one of my reasons for not buying a PS2...?
Sun 11/03/01 at 22:02
Lucky for some P.fish.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.