GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are videogames becoming too mainstream??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/03/01 at 08:46
Regular
Today I'ld like to ask the question:

Are videogames becoming too mainstream??

And is this a good thing or a bad thing? I've thought about it and there are many advantages and disadvantages. One of the main advantages is that its no longer seen as "Nerdy" to play videogames, also bigger and better games are now being made, as more money is now circulating in the game industry.
There is of course a bad side too, Barbie Race and Ride and the Spice girls videogame spring to mind! Not to mention the ton of really really poor Film to Videogame rip offs!

So whats your opinion?
Sun 11/03/01 at 22:01
Still too expensive for me, but hey if I wasnt a Student I'ld rush out and buy one right now!

Maybe next year when I get a job.
Sun 11/03/01 at 22:00
New Jimmy wrote:
> PseudoSavant has a point PC gaming is still seen as being geared
> towards adults, which is fair enough after all not many kids can
> splash out £1000 for the latest PC or £300 for the
> latest graphics card upgrade!

I can afford all this with my dad around
Sun 11/03/01 at 21:51
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
New Jimmy wrote:

However BudgetPCs are becoming very
> powerful, especially with the fast and cheap AMD processors that are
> now readily available. The X-box could also change the shape of the
> videogame entertainment industry!

aye... with P3 1 Gigs PC's for 500 squid?
Sun 11/03/01 at 21:23
PseudoSavant has a point PC gaming is still seen as being geared towards adults, which is fair enough after all not many kids can splash out £1000 for the latest PC or £300 for the latest graphics card upgrade!

However BudgetPCs are becoming very powerful, especially with the fast and cheap AMD processors that are now readily available. The X-box could also change the shape of the videogame entertainment industry!

Maybe videogame will become mainstream when the X-box arrives!
Sun 11/03/01 at 21:19
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
PseudoSavant wrote:
> Part of the differences is certainly who they're marketed towards.
> Simply put, videogames haven't become mainstream. For one thing,
> especially in terms of console games, they're considered for kids.

But, wasnt that the big thing with the PS... not only did it make consoles mainstream... but it made them the number1 desired object for male 20 somethings?

> whatsoever, because PC gaming is seen as a purely adult portion of
> the industry.

aye

Truly, I think the reason why console games are higher in price
> is that there are far more console players out there than PC gamers.

There are more console gamers than PC gamers... but apart from having to pay Sony/Sega their gains... development costs for the machines should be pretty much the same... so if there are that many fewer PC games buyers out there... then surly to cover their costs, PC titles will have to be at least the same price as console games?
Sun 11/03/01 at 21:19
Regular
when was the last time you went in a game shop?
All new releases are coming out in DVD style boxes now.
Sun 11/03/01 at 21:17
Another point, PC games usually come in Larger boxes(with smaller CD boxes inside the Large Box) Therefore they take up more shelf space than there console equivalents.
If therefore high street shops claim that overheads raise the prices of games in their shops then surely PC games should be more than their console equivalents which take up less shelf space!

I think its a case of the high street retailers looking for excuses to justify their high prices!
Sun 11/03/01 at 12:32
Your Honour wrote:
> I just checked my figures and Shenmue cost [$10 million] to develop (issue #17 of ODM). How much it cost to publish or advertise the article doesnt go into. <

Well, that makes a helluva lot more sense than $50 million. I looked up something: Sega has "sold between 8 and 8.5 million units" (EGM, Issue 141) of the Dreamcast worldwide. That's why the $50 million mark seemed, well, a bit steep.
Sun 11/03/01 at 09:50
Regular
not $10, sorry lol! $10 million.
Let me off will ya, its early!
Sun 11/03/01 at 09:50
Regular
I just checked my figures and Shenmue cost $10 to develop (issue #17 of ODM). How much it cost to publish or advertise the article doesnt go into.

I still dont see why console gaming is percieved as nerdy, in an article last year it said that more than 50% of homes in britain had a game console, and the games industry was the 2nd biggest market in the world, higher than the recording industry, but lower than the film industry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.