GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm buying an iMac"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/10/03 at 22:24
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I've fianlly got round to saving enough cash to buy myself a nice, shiny iMac. I could afford a G5 but would never use it to it's potential so I thought I go for the middle of the road.

I was wondering if any of you guys have used or do use an iMac or any Mac with OSX on? Is there anything you can't do that you can on a PC? Apart from reboot, that is ...

While we're at it, can anyone recommend a Mac alternative to FrontPage Express?

Cheers in advance.
Fri 17/10/03 at 12:23
Regular
"You've upset me"
I'm on a Mac (one of the swivelly anglepoise ones... Mmm...) And am running OSX. Never once have I had a problem that either isn't my fault or can't be sorted with a quick peek at MacHelp. Admittedly, OS8 and OS9 (the latter especially) were very volatile and prone to violent bouts of electronic teen-angst, but OSX is perfecto... plus it looks nice :-)
Thu 16/10/03 at 18:13
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
1100 Opterons would run faster and generate less heat, heh.
Thu 16/10/03 at 11:34
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Turbonutter wrote:
> Why don't you spend the same amount of money on a good PC in a nice
> case with a TFT?

Because part of the reason I'm moving is to get away from Windows - I've had each incarnation, starting with Windows 3, and have grown tired of it's problems.

> ... doesn't it bother you that all iMacs look identical?

Not in the slightest.

Bob: I read about that 'super computer' on the BBC news site - I think if you stack 1100 of any machine in racks you're gonna produce a lot of heat!
Thu 16/10/03 at 09:19
Regular
With OSX you should be fine and Turbo thats is based on Unix and even includes a command line terminal. As for G5's there a Uni in the states that just created a massive cluster of them (some figure in the thousands) and it has become one of the most powerfull super computers. It also require a custom built water cooling system (Mac's run hotter then anything else i know) and special software to accomadate machines crashing :)
Wed 15/10/03 at 22:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Why don't you spend the same amount of money on a good PC in a nice case with a TFT?

You can do a lot better looking than iMacs, and doesn't it bother you that all iMacs look identical?
Wed 15/10/03 at 19:14
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I don't need a speed machine - my current PC is a 800MHz AMD with a 32Mb graphics card so most things would be an improvement.
Wed 15/10/03 at 18:53
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Saw this on /, today.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,8,00.asp
Tue 14/10/03 at 23:32
Regular
"How Handy."
I'd love a nice G5 to sit on my desk and look purty. Used one last year and loved it, was very nice to use. Wouldnt replace my PC all together with one though..
Tue 14/10/03 at 21:47
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Heh - thanks!

: ^ |
Tue 14/10/03 at 18:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I wish him my commiserations.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.