GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Digidal Camera - I want to buy one..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/10/03 at 13:07
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Looking at getting a digital camera, I don't want to spend too much on some super amazing thingy, but I don't want something cheap and nasty...

I'm looking to spend about £150 on it as it will be a christmas/birthday present.

Now I've had a look, and there are LOADS of them, all over the place and I haven't got a clue what to get.

I want one with a large memory because I'll be taking it on holiday and it will have to last a week of piccies without filling up too, but I want it to be small so that it can fit into my coat. Also making it indestructable would be helpful as I'll be taking it skiing and I'm bound to end up nearly killing myself with it in my pocket!

I just want any general ideas at the moment as to what I should get/avoid and if people have any they would recommend, I'll decide nearer the time...

Thanks.
Fri 17/10/03 at 23:30
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
That would be great if you could do that. Thanks for that.

I might add a few quid into it and buy a 512mb card. They were about £100 when I last looked...

Oh, and can you take small video clips with it or not? Just wondering...
Fri 17/10/03 at 22:28
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well the Mustek one has no optical zoom so you might not be able to get certain shots. Also look at its spec, its a 4 megapixel camera yet its sensor is only a 2.1 megapixel. Basically it seems its using hardware to increase picture size which would result in lower quality.

Am getting a Sony DSC-P72 for my birthday which is on the 21st. The cameras here now but cant use it. Camera is a 3.2 megapixel with 3x optical zoom, as is £187 from Amazon. The camera can store 10 photos at the highest resolution 3.2 megapixels (2048x1568 or something similar) on fine and at 640x480 on standard it can do 243 on a 16mb card. 128mb card is £45. So say on 1280x960 on standard you get around 46 on a 16mb so another 128mb will give you a total of 414 pics with both the 16mb and the 128mb cards.

I know that the Sony cameras are rated quite highly for picture quality, features etc. And the cheaper model with 2x optical zoom is only £155, so you could spend the extra on 256mb card or 2x128mb.

The Fuji cameras also seem great. Just search for camera reviews on the internet and see what reviews say about them. Personnaly I think that spending the extra £60 on the Sony or say a Fuji would be better than this Mustek camera to be honest. If you have £250 to spend and you want a decent camera then go with a nice name like Sony, Fuji or any other big name.

Another thing is to take into account whether the camera comes with a battery charger if you havent got the right sort. The Sony has one with the camera and can charge the NiMH batteries in 6 hours.

If your not going to be buying a camera for a few days I can give you my personal view on the Sony DSC-P72 and post some pics onto my webspace if you want to see the sort of quality it can do.
Fri 17/10/03 at 19:23
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
OK, I've got £250 to blow now. I've been given money which I have to spend on something...

What would you recommend now? I want something with BIG memory and is also good. I also want to buy some extra memory seeing as I'll be taking it away for a week and I don't want to run out of space!

Should I stay with the Mustek one, or are there any better ones?
Tue 14/10/03 at 13:39
Regular
"..."
Turbonutter wrote:
> DON'T buy low quality cameras. A 2MP camera from a decent manufacturer is infinitely better than a 4MP camera from someone you've never heard of.

Correctamundo. I bought this one about 6 months ago:

http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG9380_fujifilm_finepix_a.html

Is wicked, shame it dont have a rechargeable battery pack, but still rocks.
Tue 14/10/03 at 10:50
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I like the look of that Mustek one.

How many pictures can you usually get on one chip? I'm looking at buying another smart card thingy so that I can get more pictures on it, I'll have a week worth of pictures to put on it...
Mon 13/10/03 at 16:19
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Get this:
http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/ q_GG1110_mustek_dv_4000_dig.html

I am as soon as I've got the money. It's well within your price range, and it's just stuffed full of features. 3.1MP, makes MPEG movies, records voice, webcam, playes Mp3s! You can see pictures at www.firebox.com, but SR is far cheaper. Do it Doug!
Mon 13/10/03 at 16:15
Regular
"bing bang bong"
My Olympus C4000 is a beast of a machine. It takes fantastic photos, but I find it quite large and the menu's are about as badly designed as they possibly could be. It also chews up batteries at some rediculous rate of knots, although I'm not sure how fast digicams generally do. 4 Duracells will be lucky to last you through 20 photos, although it's considerably more economical with rechargeables.
Mon 13/10/03 at 16:08
Regular
"bing bang bong"
www.megapixel.net is a brilliant review source for cameras.
Sun 12/10/03 at 23:10
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah I have the DSC-P71, it's a great little camera.
Sun 12/10/03 at 22:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Also the Sony cameras come with a battery charger that does a charge in about 6 hours which is pretty reasonable. Saves having to get a charger if the camera doesnt come with one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.