GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Young girl fined for having 1,000 downloaded songs..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/09/03 at 00:32
Regular
Warning to all Kazaa users... a young girl from America's parents were fined $150,000 for each song downloaded by the girl. She issued a statement claiming she was "sorry" and "didn't wish to hurt the artists she loves so much".

In the end the case was settled out of court for a mere $2,000...

Mere? This is crap... I know some artists are dead against downloading music but I also know many bands don't give a s**t and offer downloadable songs from their very own website...

If more bands did that the better I'd say... beat the money obsessed system!
Fri 12/09/03 at 00:06
Regular
The thing is, the girl didn't even know she was doing something wrong.

She was just downloading, like the program showed her how to.
I doubt she was even warned of whether it was leagal or not.
And then some tw@ts try to sue her for 150 grand, and call a 2 grand fine a "let off!".

It's like putting the CD in the street, and arresting anyone who picks it up for "stealing" it.

So much for justice.
Fri 12/09/03 at 09:28
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Dringo wrote:
> Bruce and Maiden are legends in their own right... their songs are a
> tad long but I love them... All 3 maiden albums I have (2 live and
> Brave new world) are superb and I did download some tracks
> (originally dissapointed in Waisted Dreams... only to love it now)...
> and I love the songs and plan to buy the album when I get paid.

Long? Well, possibly, but if they can keep a song like Dream Of Mirrors going for 9 minutes and I don't get bored of it then long is fine by me.
To be honest when I bought Brave New World, it took a while for a lot of the tracks on there to grab me, The Wicker Man did straight away, must be the intro, but I don't really class that as being the best song on there anymore, as I did when I first bought it. I need to listen to most of them a few times at least for them to really sink in.
By the way, it's near impossible to get any Dance of Death tracks, EMI (presumably) seem to have flooded fasttrack at least with fakes. Doesn't really bother me, I ripped the mp3s from my CD anyway, for my own purposes you understand.
Why is my connection so slow today ? :@ Oh well.
Fri 12/09/03 at 10:36
Regular
I'll search for someones playlist with the songs on it...

And some of them are too long... Fear of the Dark for example is a fantastic song... but theres an extra chorus after the solo that really doesn't need to be there...

a bit shorter would be nice... Metallica has the same problem.

On a note harcking back to the topic... I'm not too sure if this case is real or a publicity stunt... did you read the little girls press release...

whatever.
Fri 12/09/03 at 17:00
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
The press release was indeed suspicious,
Girls mum: "We understand now that file-sharing the music was illegal. You can be sure Brianna won't be doing it any more."
And Girl: "I am sorry for what I have done. I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love."

To be honest, when I first read this, my only reaction was WTF?
Doing my best to put forward my opinion without inciting the usual fools to create conspiracy theories (Just kidding, make all the conspiracy theories you want), I think that maybe the RIAA had realised the had buggered up slightly more than usual, but being stubborn fools decided not to admit it, and try to cut their losses and get out as quietly as possible, by, not admitting defeat, but lessening their usual (and utterly stupid) 150,000 dollar fine to 2,000, on the condition she made a pro RIAA press release. In the hope that the weak minded 12 year old females of America will be influenced to not contribute to the downfall of society and to impending armageddon by downloading music.

Regarding FOTD, I really lurve the song (not to be taken literally. Perverts), you might be right that the final chorus is unnecesary, but I like these songs which last a long time, 6+ minutes.
I mean, FOTD, 7 mins I think(?), that's really a classic in my opinion, but for instance Wildest Dreams (new single - tonight on TOTP), while being a truly rocking song, 3:52, I don't think will ever get to a truly 'classic' state. That's only really my take on the matter though.
Sat 13/09/03 at 01:00
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Hang on, Maiden appearing in a discussion on SR? Blimey, not something I've seen a lot. The TOTP performance was disappointing, to the point of cutting out a whole verse, and the solo at least certainly wasn't played live - a shame, as they were the band to break TOTP's policy of not having live performances in 1980..Yet to buy the new album - well, I've ordered it, but Play are taking bloody ages..

Lots of complaints I've read about copy protection on the new CD, and if it's having an effect on the quality of the release. Most of it seems to be put down to production and poor sound quality compared even to some of their older recordings, but the protection EMI used seems to have involved intentionally inserting error bits on to the CD so as to confuse lasers trying to copy them. Even if this doesn't directly affect the sound quality, the CD is far less likely to survive a scratch with errors already on the disc.

I have to agree with Bruce's comment on the situation, I was going to quote that myself :D It's exactly what I do. I've got in to a lot of artists following passing recommendations from various people by grabbing a few tracks off the net - for example, Thunder, Maiden, Matchbox 20, Lifehouse, Levellers, Satriani..many, many more, and I've now bought CDs, been to concerts and got T-shirts from all the above. Wouldn't have done any of that without the mp3s to get a bit of a taste for the music - the people who recommened them to me even found out via the net and mp3s.

The industry left it far too late to try to deal with the problem, they were offered use of the mp3 codec long before it was released in to the public domain, but dismissed it. Even when the popularity of P2P rose, they tried to attack networks and close them rather than offering a superior service themselves - if it's priced reasonably, many people would be happy to get the tracks officially and support their favourite artists.

Oh well, roll on Earl's Court in December :D
Sat 13/09/03 at 09:40
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Off topic (again), but I don't reckon songs have to be long to be classics. Minor Threat (80's punk/hardcore band) have many of their songs under a minute long, and I don't think any got longer than 4 mins. Still, their songs ('Straight Edge' especially) kick started a whole movement...

But getting back to the MP3s thing, it really does sicken me how they used a 12 year old girl to try and create anti-MP3 propaganda.
Sat 13/09/03 at 09:48
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
They can't scare me. It's not easy to trace all downloaders.

And who cares if some bands are against it? I'm a fan of Metallica, and I don't give a monkey's about what they say about MP3 downloading.

What's wrong with it, anyway? There are plenty of idiots who'll pay £1 download an MP3, and bull all their albums. I only buy albums I can't find on the net.

And if the music industry wants to stop losing money, they can rise the price of CDs.
Sat 13/09/03 at 10:18
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
The performance was a bit dissapointing, Bruce looked tired and his voice showed that at times, maybe the result of just coming off the Ed til I'm Dead tour. Although, he was on the R1 Rock show a few weeks ago, from 1 until 2 AM, and he said the next day they were recording TOTP, so maybe he didn't get much sleep. He mentioned jetlag too.

The quality, I doubt is really down to the copy protection, I've read that a lot of people have just been able to copy it straight off, so for one thing, it's pretty useless. I haven't tried myself yet as I don't have any blank discs. But, I read it was meant to be unable to play on PC's, anyway, an hour after getting home with it I'd extracted all the tracks to mp3, so it's not
too effective. I think the production and mixing is a bit poor; the songs themselves are pretty good, there's not a single weak track on there in my opinion, just let down a bit by the production. After you hear it, you'll think it's pretty good, but the sound quality's not quite up there with the crystal clearness of FOTD, Powerslave etc. Can't really put my finger on what's wrong with it, but even so I'll be downloading live versions as soon as I can.

Sibs: You might well be right, but not being into punk I couldn't really make much comment, I was really talking about metal songs (and it's only my opinion remember), the only short song I would really regard as being a classic is Paranoid. And that was only written as a filler.
Sat 13/09/03 at 11:10
Regular
That's only $2 a CD!!

She should have got the full $150,000,000

:D

I think that would have made quite a difference to any artist.
Sat 13/09/03 at 11:15
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Der Nazi wrote:
> I only buy
> albums I can't find on the net.

Aren't you a loyal and supportive fan?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.