GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Solve My Problem - Networking ??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/09/03 at 14:03
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Please !!

Right, at the moment I'm taking screen captures from various consoles by plugging the yellow composite av cable into a capture card on an old PC. This old PC has a NI card in it.

The new PC has an NI built in.

Would I be right in thinking that I can connect the two PC's by the NI with some sort of cable, then transfer the image files from the old PC to the new PC ?

The old PC only has a floppy drive in, and at one screenshot per floppy it's going to get tedious !

Any suggestions/help appreciated.
Thu 04/09/03 at 09:53
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Oopps, you need to right click on Network Neighbourhood on the 98 comp and My Network Places on the XP machine and setup the IP addresses on them.
Thu 04/09/03 at 09:51
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Can you ping each machine from the other.

Each machine needs to have it's own IP address and they need to be unique.

Eg

192.168.50.10 - XP
192.168.50.20 - 98

Then on the XP machine you type ping 192.168.50.20 and it should come back with a reply.

On the 98 machine you type ping 192.168.50.10 and that should reply.

Come back when that's working.
Thu 04/09/03 at 09:38
Regular
Network Connections part of Win XP shows a connection as well.
Thu 04/09/03 at 09:36
Regular
Okay, some progress. Foudn the Crossover cable, plugged it into the NIC on the old PC, and the correct port on the new computer. Both lights show green and Windows XP does not show a broken lan connection which it was doing when I used the wrong cable. I did home network wizard on Xp, created a dik, put it into the Win98 PC, which did it's thing okay.

Now I'm stuck, what now ?
Thu 04/09/03 at 09:16
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Miserableman wrote:
> Can your two computers ping each other?

Bit silly saying that as he can't even find the cross-over cable, which he needs and if he's going NIC - NIC then a straight though cable wont work so neither will pings.
Thu 04/09/03 at 01:58
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Can your two computers ping each other?
Wed 03/09/03 at 17:48
Regular
I know I have a spare crossover cable, the problem is it's "Somewhere" - i.e somewhere inside the house.

If I can't find it I'll order another cable off someone on eBay.
Wed 03/09/03 at 17:44
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Belldandy wrote:
> Adrian, when I used to access Xbox Live using ICS, would the cable
> connecting the Xbox to the NIC have been a crossover one ?

Yep. Crossovers are for direct connections like XBox to NIC or NIC to NIC. If you use a Router then the cable has to be a normal Cat 5. Also have you got an official XBox Link cable as that should work as well.
Wed 03/09/03 at 16:29
Regular
Okay thanks, I'm going to start by finding my old crossover cable, then if I can't I'll get another one. then once I have the right cable fiddle around with getting it working.
Wed 03/09/03 at 16:00
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
I take it you have "File and Print Sharing" setup on the 98 machine?

If I remember correctly, 98 computers have major difficult accessing any XP machines regardless of whether you have the right username and password input.

Going the other way is much easier.

If your not getting lights on your "NI" [NIC] then I'd say you've got a problem with one or both of them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.