GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Solve My Problem - Networking ??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/09/03 at 14:03
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Please !!

Right, at the moment I'm taking screen captures from various consoles by plugging the yellow composite av cable into a capture card on an old PC. This old PC has a NI card in it.

The new PC has an NI built in.

Would I be right in thinking that I can connect the two PC's by the NI with some sort of cable, then transfer the image files from the old PC to the new PC ?

The old PC only has a floppy drive in, and at one screenshot per floppy it's going to get tedious !

Any suggestions/help appreciated.
Fri 05/09/03 at 20:18
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
OK, I'll get that lead and card then.

I got my new laptop. I must have broken a record when the MsBlaster worm got my PC within a minute of connecting!

Then I got another variant of it.

Then I couldn't patch the PC because the worm kept shutting it down!

I had to download it from the old PC onto here!

Just using my ZEN to transfer all the files onto here now.
Fri 05/09/03 at 15:04
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Yep Bell, your right, the cable must be the correct way round otherwise nothing will happen. The card [as long as it works] can be any make, prefer 3Com myself as these seem to last forever.

Have some machines here dating back over 7 or 8 years [yep they are that OLD!] with 3Com NIC in them and they're still going strong :)
Fri 05/09/03 at 13:02
Regular
Cable's definitely right, with the card I dont think it matters too much - I've got a Belkin one I bought for £5 off eBay and it's working fine.
Fri 05/09/03 at 12:59
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html? [poo]action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43779

That's the cable.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html? [whooooo]action=UFNTaG93UmVzdWx0cw%3D%3D

That's a ist of network cards. I'm guessing the US Robotics one, and not the ebuyer one?

If they're the correct ones, I'll buy them tonight.

Gonna pick up my laptop now!

Yay!
Fri 05/09/03 at 12:34
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
So it's literally called a crossover cable?

I'm guessing SR don't have any, that's why I was getting confused.

Scrap that.

I was looking at Ukleads and they didn't have anything!

It's under the networks bit...
Fri 05/09/03 at 09:39
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
phi11ip wrote:
> What lead do I have to buy?

Phi11ip, if your just connecting two computers NIC to NIC then you will need a crossover cable [as has been explained numerous times].

If your connecting your computer to a network, ie a Router, Hub or Switch, then you will need a straight through cable.
Thu 04/09/03 at 21:32
Regular
I'm using a crossover cable and it works, hence I 'think' you need the same. Probably if you ask in the store they will be able to tell you anyway.
Thu 04/09/03 at 19:56
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/ [space] q_GG8825_pci_utp_10__100_ne.html

Here's the network card.

What lead do I have to buy?

If I only save a couple of quid buying on the net I can't be arsed as it's easier for me to drive to SR and buy them...
Thu 04/09/03 at 16:56
Regular
I think a lot of my problems came from the fact that I wasn't working from a fresh install, the Win 98 PC was configured to access broadband via a router.
Thu 04/09/03 at 15:17
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
But at least you had the foresight to use the wizard, something which alot of people on here don't even bother with....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.