GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Solve My Problem - Networking ??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/09/03 at 14:03
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Please !!

Right, at the moment I'm taking screen captures from various consoles by plugging the yellow composite av cable into a capture card on an old PC. This old PC has a NI card in it.

The new PC has an NI built in.

Would I be right in thinking that I can connect the two PC's by the NI with some sort of cable, then transfer the image files from the old PC to the new PC ?

The old PC only has a floppy drive in, and at one screenshot per floppy it's going to get tedious !

Any suggestions/help appreciated.
Thu 04/09/03 at 15:05
Regular
unknown kernel wrote:
> Oh my god, no: another subject about which Belldandy knows
> everything!
>
> (Only joking, Bell.)

:D Actually I couldn't find the old topics, so, reasoning that I had all day, I just messed around withe settings until it worked. I know how to repeat it now, but getting ICS to work was more luck than actual knowledge.
Thu 04/09/03 at 15:00
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Your ping rate will be between two computers, even on a 10mb card, absolutely fine, ie under 1ms [millisecond] unless you've got something wrong with one or both of the cards.

We run a 10/100mb network here, I can ping a machine on one of our boats via my 100mb hub - 10mb hub - 64k leased line to wireless antenna and still get replies of sub 50ms when they are more than 3 miles away.

For a machine that's sat with a direct 10mb connection your gaming needs will be fine, plus you will also be able to move files back and forward and surf the net using ICS and still shouldn't see any drop off from game pings.

The chances of you actually doing all three or more at once is pretty remote so no need to worry.

Ebuyer [expect SR to delete any post with their competitors links in] are probably the best, could try SR and just get the cheapest 10/100 NIC.
Thu 04/09/03 at 14:45
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Depends what the Ping is, you won't know until you try.
Thu 04/09/03 at 14:39
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
OK, I'll look.

Oh, and will I be able to play games using that link? Not that I'm planning on playing games. I'll be working all the time!
Thu 04/09/03 at 14:35
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
ebuyer.co.uk ?
Thu 04/09/03 at 14:26
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Jive just can't be a*sed to go through it again!

:p

Anyway.

Similar to this topic, I'm getting a Laptop tomorrow. It's got the NIC in it, but my Win 98 PC hasn't.

I'm guessing all I'll need to buy is a crossover cable and another NIC card for the PC? Then just follow this thread to set it all up?

Well, reading it again, this thread is exactly what I want to know!

Anyone know of any good places to buy a NIC and some crossover cable?

Thanks.
Thu 04/09/03 at 14:24
Regular
"relocated"
Oh my god, no: another subject about which Belldandy knows everything!

(Only joking, Bell.)
Thu 04/09/03 at 14:00
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Cool, now make sure you keep an eye on this section, because the next person who comes along [and there will be one] asking about ICS, well your the current expert and should be able to answer at the drop of a hat :P
Thu 04/09/03 at 13:22
Regular
Yep, used the Win XP Help section, there was an option to bridge LAN connections, did that, made another network disk on the XP PC, put it on the 98 PC, and voila !
Thu 04/09/03 at 13:18
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
\o/

Yay, congrats :)

Got ICS working as well?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.