GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Solve My Problem - Networking ??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/09/03 at 14:03
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Please !!

Right, at the moment I'm taking screen captures from various consoles by plugging the yellow composite av cable into a capture card on an old PC. This old PC has a NI card in it.

The new PC has an NI built in.

Would I be right in thinking that I can connect the two PC's by the NI with some sort of cable, then transfer the image files from the old PC to the new PC ?

The old PC only has a floppy drive in, and at one screenshot per floppy it's going to get tedious !

Any suggestions/help appreciated.
Wed 03/09/03 at 14:03
Regular
Please !!

Right, at the moment I'm taking screen captures from various consoles by plugging the yellow composite av cable into a capture card on an old PC. This old PC has a NI card in it.

The new PC has an NI built in.

Would I be right in thinking that I can connect the two PC's by the NI with some sort of cable, then transfer the image files from the old PC to the new PC ?

The old PC only has a floppy drive in, and at one screenshot per floppy it's going to get tedious !

Any suggestions/help appreciated.
Wed 03/09/03 at 14:20
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Windows has a built in data transfer program, can't think what it's called though, Direct Data Transfer ? - will have a look. Just using a lead won't work, you need a program like laplink (mainly used for linking Laptop to home PC). I personally just burn the stuff onto a CDRW and take it to and from work.
Look on download.com they may have some free software.
Wed 03/09/03 at 14:21
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Easy to do. Just get a Crossover cable and plug the each end into the NICs. Then just setup a network by using the step by step process in Windows XP. I had to do the same sort of thing 3 months ago as I built a new PC and had over 8 gigs I wanted to transfer.
Wed 03/09/03 at 14:21
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Don't think you'll be able to use those ports as connector either, may need USB or Serial or something.
Wed 03/09/03 at 15:17
"I love yo... lamp."
Adrian is right, presuming it's a standard 10 or 100 Mbit card(s). A CAT 5 crossover cable at 5m long will set you back £6. (www.pless.co.uk)

XP and ME have built in programs for connecting PCs, don't know about older versions.
Wed 03/09/03 at 15:21
Regular
I tried what I thought was a Crossover cable, but both PC's act like it's not, would I be right in thinking that if it was a straight through cable then neither PC would register it ? The LED on the NIC card didn't come on, and the new PC shows no connection.
Wed 03/09/03 at 15:23
"I love yo... lamp."
I think so. With a crossover cable it should work for a direct connection. What version of Windows are the PC's running?
Wed 03/09/03 at 15:37
Regular
New one - Windows Xp
Old - WIn 98SE

I used Win XP to create a network disk, then put that disc into the Win 98 PC , installed okay. It has to be the wrong cable.

Cable has the following on it anyone is informed enough to know if it tells anything;

"Category 5 UTP 24awg 4 pairs lan cable"

Adrian, when I used to access Xbox Live using ICS, would the cable connecting the Xbox to the NIC have been a crossover one ?
Wed 03/09/03 at 15:42
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Direct Cable Connection, that's it isn't it ?
Wed 03/09/03 at 15:46
Regular
"How Handy."
The cable from XBox -> NIC would have been a crossover, yes. Valentino, Direct Cable Connection is used for Serial Cable connections, this is a straightforward network..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.