GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PlayStation 2: 26/01 - 25/02"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/02/01 at 12:46
Regular
That's right sports fans, I've had my PS2 a month and the bleedin' thing has died on me. Well, more specifically, the DVD Drive has gone t***-up.

I've phoned Sony and should be getting a replacement on Tuesday.

-S
Thu 01/03/01 at 12:25
I'm almost tempted to hold a sweepstake on when my PS2 is going to die (of natural causes).......
Thu 01/03/01 at 12:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Glad I wasn't the only one to get an awful, lawnmower sound from SSX with soon-to-be-ex-PS2.
1st game I stuck in when the new one arrived, and is quiet.

Enjoy the Silence.

And I was amused as anyone else to just wander in for groceries and come out with Super-Console.

Wasn't laughing over the weekend though.
Thu 01/03/01 at 12:14
Going out for teabags, and coming back with a PS2 - sounds like that bloke on the Fast Show.

'Did you get the milk dear?'

'No, but I got a chainsaw, some nails, a puppy, and two tickets to Barbados'

:0
Thu 01/03/01 at 12:00
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Thing is, my folks were telling me "Wait for a short while cause the ones out there are probably faulty.." and in my ignorance thinking "What do they know about PS2's?" went and bought one.

More fool me :)

First thing I noticed with SSX when I popped it into my replacement PS2 was how bleedin' quiet it was. It wasn't making that irratating racket.

-S
Thu 01/03/01 at 11:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I know that feeling only too well.

When mine went, I stared at it, looked at my mate who sat there, cigarette paused an inch from his face...we both looked back at the chugging-not-working machine and then back to each other.

I lent forward, hit reset and..."unable to read disc".
Again we stare at each other, back to machine, at each other, back to machine.

A rising panic, dawning horror and slow anger.

Removed the disc, tried another, audio CD, DVD and nada.
Zip.
Zilch.
Phone supermarket, no joy, phone Sony, joy.

Yeah, with hindsight I shouldnt have got one from them, they sell food and household stuff.
But, if you go out for teabags and grapefruit only to find PS2s on sale, 3 days before Xmas with no queue yet...of course I'm going to get one.

No more though. I shall restrict computer stuff to computer places. Common sense but I was blinded by an excited prospect of getting home that afternoon and playing the "None available until Feb 2001" machines with no waiting, no effort and minor lining up.

Hindsight: It's a sickening thing.
Thu 01/03/01 at 10:43
You can add my PS2 to the list of deceased.

24/11/00 - 28/2/01

3 months and 4 days..... by the standards set by others i should count myself lucky I suppose, mine lived to a ripe old age. Oh, my particular machine, failed to respond to the ON switch, refusing to open it's green and blue eyes, and welcome me home from a hard days work.

Sony say they'll be another, and that it will be better and may even last a year, but I don't think anything can truly replace the time that I spent with my first. That wonderment I felt as it first winked at me with it's blue eye, and the sheer frisson of joy as FIFA started up. The knee-trembling excitement of SSX, cutting elegantly through the virgin snow.

Yes, it can be replaced. Yes, I'll play just as hard with the new model. But it'll never be the same again, knowing that at any time it could all happen again. I might be going deep on Madden, pulling off a 1080 IFFY Stiffy on SSX or playing DOA2, and it could all go wrong.

You never forget your first......

Oh, and the poxy thing trapped my Madden disc!

Mark
Thu 01/03/01 at 10:34
I know it's easy to say this in hindsight, but it doesn't really surprise me. They bought into it to make publicity for themselves. And I wouldn't trust a supermarket chain to suddenly have great game console knowledge, or to know how to handle after sales service. I mean, if some electrical retailers don't have the required knowledge, I wouldn't expect my local fruit and veg supplier to either ;-). Anyway, better luck with the new machine.
Thu 01/03/01 at 09:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah.
The supermarket were not helpful at all, I bought it there before Xmas because I happened to be in the store the morning they had them in.
European console, with a plug adaptor to enable UK play.
It went wrong, I phone them and they say "tough" basically, the reason was "it's after 28 days and we dont sell them, it was a one off".

But phoned SCEE and the replacement arrived yesterday, quieter (no horrid GRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNNDDDDDDD sound with SSX)and the drawer seems to slide a lot better.

Hope this one is ok for a while now, but if not I know to phone SCEE and not a supermarket.
I won't slur this chain, because I'm seeking legal recourse, just to say that I was massively unhappy with their performance and attitude, shant be frequenting their stores again. I know one person not shopping there won't make a damn bit of difference, but I will not be treated like that anywhere.

So here's to the new PS2, long may it work
Tue 27/02/01 at 20:30
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Wow Goatboy! That's what I would call awful Customer Service.

Would they not refund the £300 in cash or on your Credit Card?

When mine went belly-up, I phoned the shop I'd bought it from, told them my predicament, they said with most Consoles, they'd replace the defective unit. However, with Sony, you have to contact them regarding a possible replacement.

Anyway, my replacement PS2 turned up today and I must say it certainly is a darn-sight quieter than my faulty model, but what are the odds of this one being defective too?

We shall wait and see...

-S
Tue 27/02/01 at 13:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Hey man, check back through previous posts since Xmas, I've been the 1st to praise the PS2.

But since it went wrong, and I've not had it, I've realised I hardly touch it anyway.
I did post "Sony treat me right" about the speed they've offered a replacement at, but my sulk is because I shouldnt even be praising a company for replacing brand new goods quickly.

I hope, sincerely, that yours is trouble free for a long time, and I'm aware that the ratio is greater because so few consoles were available at launch time, I just feel it was all rushed for profits.

But that's capitalism in action folks, so shut up and be happy.

*sulk*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.