GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Expensiveola"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/08/03 at 15:45
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Seeing as nobody ever checks this forum anyway to get feedback from the customers, I doubt they'll ever see this...

Still. It may help a few people from making the mistake of signing up.

It's got to the point now where their service just seems to be taking the p*ss in some cases.

Like when I had about 25meg worth of stuff deleted from my site, they didn't bother to contact people about it, they knew of the problem as Snuggly said he'd talked to people about it but there was no update on the service page.

It later turns out that they had uploaded an index.shtml page to the account of everyone who was affected telling them what had happened. This would be great but my index.php page didn't get deleted, so I wouldn't have seen the page uploaded. (monkey_man, could you see if you've had the page uploaded next time you log onto your site please?)

Now I phone up to change the nameservers on a domain, this is where things get stupid, they want me to fill in a form telling them the details now. I can't do it by email, even if I tell them EVERY BIT of my details including my passwords because someone may be lying, pretending to be me... I personally think it's because they can now charge me a £3.51 admin charge for doing this! It's also per domain! That's the higest admin charge for changing a couple of words I've ever known!

Other hosts do it for free, or even let you do it yourself. But, FREEola charge for this service as it's another way to get money.

Oh, you've gotta dial-up still to access your webspace and pay extra for MySQL. Really good deal there. Why don't they understand or listen to the countless number of pleas I've seen on here for them to launch a new service. I'm pretty sure that if they were to charge £100 to let people access their space all the time from any connection and keep the unlimited deals, plus add the MySQL into it, they'd get far more than they currently do.

OneandOne.co.uk do hosting, for £8.99 a month you get:
1 GB Web space
300 Email accounts
10,000 MB/month traffic
25 sub domains
MySQL databases

£100 a year from Freeola would be £8.33 a month and would easily beat that, apart from the subdomains. There are other things like log files which could be included too to attract people to the service but as far as webspace and bandwidth goes, this package will easily beat some of the other paid for packages...

Maybe they could introduce other cheaper paid for packages?

As for the deal with Freeola broadband, they've got something good there at least...

Still, they need to carry out some MAJOR changes with their service to attract more customers. Being cheaper and attracting more customers will benefit them far far more than just increasing their prices to force all the existing customers into debt...
Thu 28/08/03 at 15:45
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Seeing as nobody ever checks this forum anyway to get feedback from the customers, I doubt they'll ever see this...

Still. It may help a few people from making the mistake of signing up.

It's got to the point now where their service just seems to be taking the p*ss in some cases.

Like when I had about 25meg worth of stuff deleted from my site, they didn't bother to contact people about it, they knew of the problem as Snuggly said he'd talked to people about it but there was no update on the service page.

It later turns out that they had uploaded an index.shtml page to the account of everyone who was affected telling them what had happened. This would be great but my index.php page didn't get deleted, so I wouldn't have seen the page uploaded. (monkey_man, could you see if you've had the page uploaded next time you log onto your site please?)

Now I phone up to change the nameservers on a domain, this is where things get stupid, they want me to fill in a form telling them the details now. I can't do it by email, even if I tell them EVERY BIT of my details including my passwords because someone may be lying, pretending to be me... I personally think it's because they can now charge me a £3.51 admin charge for doing this! It's also per domain! That's the higest admin charge for changing a couple of words I've ever known!

Other hosts do it for free, or even let you do it yourself. But, FREEola charge for this service as it's another way to get money.

Oh, you've gotta dial-up still to access your webspace and pay extra for MySQL. Really good deal there. Why don't they understand or listen to the countless number of pleas I've seen on here for them to launch a new service. I'm pretty sure that if they were to charge £100 to let people access their space all the time from any connection and keep the unlimited deals, plus add the MySQL into it, they'd get far more than they currently do.

OneandOne.co.uk do hosting, for £8.99 a month you get:
1 GB Web space
300 Email accounts
10,000 MB/month traffic
25 sub domains
MySQL databases

£100 a year from Freeola would be £8.33 a month and would easily beat that, apart from the subdomains. There are other things like log files which could be included too to attract people to the service but as far as webspace and bandwidth goes, this package will easily beat some of the other paid for packages...

Maybe they could introduce other cheaper paid for packages?

As for the deal with Freeola broadband, they've got something good there at least...

Still, they need to carry out some MAJOR changes with their service to attract more customers. Being cheaper and attracting more customers will benefit them far far more than just increasing their prices to force all the existing customers into debt...
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:01
Regular
I was gonna get a domain from Getdotted....not gonna bother now unless they make amends to the service!!
Thu 28/08/03 at 16:19
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I don't get why freeola make all these things so long and drawn out. With the people I bought my domain name from, changing the nameservers involved logging in, clicking a link, and typing in what I wanted them to be changed to. And that was it - done.

Also, the domain was considerably cheaper in the first place. So, not only do you pay over the odds for a domain name in the first place, you then have to pay once again if you want anything changing. It's stupid.

Besides, you could say you get the hosting with freeola. And that'd be true, it's great for someone who wants to set up a quick account and just get a simple domain name working (not wanting to update it all that often). But this space is supposed to be free - so why do the domain names cost so much more?
Thu 28/08/03 at 17:09
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
How the hell does me posting/faxing a form mean that it's me doing it and not someone else?

What's to stop me from pretending to want to change the DNS on pocketmonkey.co.uk?!?! I can get his address, (easy) and just tell them to change the DNS. All for £3.53! (Got the price wrong earlier!)

I might ring them up again. I've got no black ink in my printer to print off that form and the charge for it takes the p*ss...
Thu 28/08/03 at 17:10
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I haven't got my transaction number either.

So I'm stuffed now am I?

Can't move the domain, stuck here for ever.

Phone time.
Thu 28/08/03 at 17:22
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Putting a charge on it to stop people abusing the service! What crap! It's an easy way to con people out of more money. I'm moving my domain away ASAP from here and I'd tell anyone else to do the same, rumour is they'll be charging to let people view your site in the future. You'll have to get each visitor to fill in a form, post it to them and pay £10 admin charge (ex vat!) so that they can view your site...

Why can't you do it over the phone? I can give them my details, like my password. How can people abuse the service if they need to give in a password, or my home address, or my transaction number?!?!

Well, I'll print the sheet and pay that price because there's nobody that I can talk to about it and there's nothing that I can do.

But I won't be recommending them to anyone.

Plus I'll add a link at the bottom of the form to try and direct them here so they can see what people think, and maybe resond to customers...
Thu 28/08/03 at 17:56
Regular
"How Handy."
Dude, they're offering free unlimited webspace and unlimited bandwidth, where are they going to make money if they dont harge for other things?
Thu 28/08/03 at 18:40
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
You're paying to dial up, so it's not free.

The thing is, they're introducing these hidden fees obviosuly to make more money. This is gonna make people think, "Sod that" and go elsewhere...

Their service WAS great but there are sooo many offers out there now that are just so much better.

Why don't they listen to their customers? At least acknowedge their existance and check in on the forum which has their name in it!

If they want to make more money, then they shouldn't be doing things like this, they should be launching new packages to attract more people, instead of increasing the charges on existing customers.
Thu 28/08/03 at 18:51
Regular
I'll get them to come here!
Thu 28/08/03 at 23:09
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
still no comment from a staffie...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.