GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"118 - The Official topic for Reading Festival chat"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/08/03 at 18:02
Regular
Been home for about an hour or so now. Feeling rather tired and so won't write a long essay about what time I caught the bus and how long it took to pitch my tent or anything like that which I know you don't want to read. I'm also not going to mention much about the bands for now, apart from saying System Of A Down was amazing.

People, here is a place that when you get back you can talk about the bands, the camp site antics, the drink and drugs. The festival.

Anyone check out "Dave's Rave" last night in the green campsite? Afro Dave and Naked Dave were ledgends!

Also what happen involving Hulk Hogan on the donut stand? For those of you who wern't there, A guy on one of the donut stands looked like Hulk Hogan and apparently a mob of people (I heard about 250) came to see him when his shift started at around 1AM. Not sure what happened but the next night about eight police men and woman stood in a semi-circle around the stand and more were close by. Hulk Hogan was nowhere to be seen. So what actually happened?

I'm tired, so that's it for now.
Sat 13/09/03 at 19:49
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Hmm. Think the mailing list thing is okay now. Think there was a little bit wrong in the PHP, but seems to work now...
Sat 13/09/03 at 15:40
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Read both of the posted Reading reports, which were both great. Although Sib's covered more of the bands that I am personally interested in. Very nice site by the way, first time I've got around to checking it out. Attempted to sign up for the newsletter but I don't think it worked...
Thu 11/09/03 at 18:20
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
www.unitepunk.co.uk

Full weekend review of Reading. + pictures :D

ahem.
Thu 11/09/03 at 11:51
Regular
"fake polystyrene ma"
u can never be too sure.
Thu 11/09/03 at 00:29
Regular
Idioteque wrote:
> dont forget the small thing that ur band says reading festival 2003 on
> it!
>
> and they change the colour each year. 2002 was blue, this year
> red/pink.

Think he may of be joking no?
Wed 10/09/03 at 22:10
Regular
"fake polystyrene ma"
dont forget the small thing that ur band says reading festival 2003 on it!

and they change the colour each year. 2002 was blue, this year red/pink.
Wed 10/09/03 at 21:47
Regular
"keep your receipt"
I still have my band on! The plan is to keep it on till next year and then get in free! However I've heard that in like a month they'll start changing colour and smelling quite foul.
Wed 10/09/03 at 01:07
Regular
I went to Leeds for the mere one day to be honest, the day Linkin Park and Blink 182 were headlining. I wrote a review for Synae.com (yet to be published) so really I thought I might as well post it here to let those who can be ar$ed have a read.

Enjoy.

I visited the Leeds festival, now at its brand new site at Branham Park, on the Saturday (so Reading’s Friday). The headliners for the day were 3 years absent Blink 182 and Nu Metal Kings Linkin Park. With a promising main stage support line-up I decided to give Metallica a miss and see Inme, Bowling For Soup, Finch, Less than Jake, The Datsuns, Staind, The Darkness, Placebo, Blink 182 and Linkin Park.

Being late in caused a rush to Inme, I have (at feeder) seen the band before and decided to stop off at the Radio 1 tent to give Violent Delight a glance over first therefore. Violent Delight was VERY impressive, although I only heard a few songs before being dragged (kicking and screaming) over to the main stage by my ever-vigilant girlfriend I knew Violent Delight were here to say. The band have released 4 singles (secret smile, wish I was a girl, All you ever do and Transmission) and have yet to release an album, yet those 4 songs have placed them well in the alternative eye and heralded a full Radio 1 tent. I heard the poppy “all you ever do” before lunging into their first single “Secret Smile”. The band commanded so much power; the lead singer whipped the crowd into an early frenzy and played beautifully… Bloodhound Gang better watch their backs.

So I was dragged to Inme, boy did I regret that, Inme weren’t too impressive at the Feeder concert… yet here I have never seen such an awful band. Their songs are nice recorded, but as a live act they sound ropy and dull… wish I’d stayed away. The following band though were a great improvement, again I’ve seen Bowling For Soup before but their hilarious nature, relating to the crowd and playing classics such as “Girl all the Bad Girls want” and “Emily” as well as latest single “Punk Rock 101” made a second viewing essential. Bowling For Soup are not ashamed to poke fun at themselves and they do it oh so well, claiming that “The B!tch Song” was “about Eric’s (the bassists) mum”. Having an inflatable dummy crowd surf and confirming their third tour in Britain (in the last year!) made me smile… Now I know why I loved the band.

Finch were up next, a powerful band that I have also seen before (don’t worry I haven’t seen anymore before). Sadly I was disappointed; their new songs sounded ace, the lead singer still managed to reach his insanely powerful notes but the entire atmosphere paled in comparison to when I saw them at the Astoria. Nevertheless they still sounded good just not as good as they used too, starting with “What it is to burn” was a good choice but missing the final song and smash hit “Letters to you” was probably a mistake. Less than Jake, the legendary Ska rockers took the stage next and certainly didn’t disappoint. I’m no Less Than Jake fan but the presence on stage, the recognizable songs and the comical characteristics proved they were a great live act. My Brother who saw them at the Cambridge Corn Exchange said they were better here than they were there… nice.

I heard a bit of The Datsuns before sinking off… I can’t stand their music recorded and I couldn’t stand their rather arrogant performance live either. So I went to see Alien Ant Farm, the poor band have been victimized by Kerrang as of late and the band spoke out against them at the packed tent… well I felt a little disappointed in Kerrang’s actions but Alien Ant Farm surly can’t expect to take them down? Anyway their new songs are far more accomplished despite what Kerrang says and their live set was very pleasing, again despite what Kerrang says. Playing the Mario theme tune before smashing into breakthrough hit “Smooth Criminal” was great and “Movies” was well received along with new hit “These days”.

Staind were back. With Fred Durst at the side holding the guitar, the biggest nu-metal phenomenon in America played a gentle performance here. We got a load of hits from album “break the cycle” as well as newer songs in “14 shades of grey”, new brilliant song “So Far Away” got a massive response from the crowd… it is an excellent song and then quickly followed by mega hit “Outside”. I say quickly followed but that isn’t strictly true, he spent a while fiddling with his guitar claiming that to “play it out of tune would be awful”. It was a nice set nothing massive or great with power… but it relaxed us for what was to come next.

The Darkness caused a wave of fans to run to the main stage, the band are an incredible force live. The tongue in cheek humour used throughout (claiming some songs have “naughty words”), and their legendary thumbs up sign. They are as good as you’ve heard they can be, they played through their three hits and the crowd were in unison singing along to songs such as “Get your hands off of my woman” and “I believe in a thing called love”. They were truly fantastic. Even their clothes commanded a response; his humour and particular ability to get the crowd involved was second to known. They deserve to be the next big thing in Britain.

Placebo followed suit and the crowd got thicker, Placebo played through new hits “The bitter end” and older hits such as “Special K”, they promised to cut out “all the faggy parts of their set” which is disappointing because that was all their set. They made little relation to the crowd, they didn’t move too much and despite a loyal fan base jumping about there wasn’t much to discuss about at the end of the day. It was a depressing display, the music was played well but we didn’t get much to scream about.

But the following band certainly gave us something to scream about… enter Blink 182. Their set was a tiny 1 hour and 5 minutes long so we weren’t to expect too much comical crowd interaction… but we got plenty anyway. Tom informed us he liked us “far better than him” (points to Mark), Mark looks to the side to see a sound guy and tells us he likes us better than him too. In mid sentence Tom would scream “boobies” at a female flasher before Mark pleads with her to put them away. Mark also made the mistake of using Tom’s mic for Tom to lose his cool and lash out. Song wise we got a load of great songs, we got a load of new songs including the fantastic Action. Before “First Date” was played Tom informed us that “Mark went on one of these yesterday”. We had fireworks aplenty, Confetti sprayed everywhere and a giant flaming sign that read “F**K”, hilarious is an understatement… it should be immature but I was loving it so much. The songs were insanely fast; Travis lived up to his name as the greatest Punk drummer. They ended with incredible song “Dammit” as well as playing humour songs from their live CD “the Mark, Tom and Travis show” such as “Family Reunion”. The crowd was lapping every bit of the band up and falling from side to side. Blink 182 were stunned at their response despite being away for so long… they’ll be coming back soon.

It was a difficult job for Linkin Park to follow such a fantastic performance but they did their best. Every movement seemed perfect, they knew what they were saying, they knew what they had to do… they knew it. It is this pin point perfection that has propelled Linkin Park to such massive heights so fast. Crawling felt as fresh today as it did 3 years ago; Faint caused a frenzy despite a rather safe looking crowd, the band moved from the stage and involved the entire crowd. It was an epic performance playing the best tracks from both their albums and even a track (pushing me away) from Re-animation. The performance ended with the encore of “One Step Closer” featuring a guest appearance of lead signer Aaron from Staind, brilliant show, a nice set up but no pyrotechnics unlike Blink 182.

Incredible finale to a promising show… now can Limp Bizkit do any better?

Leeds day 2 rating: 9/10
Wed 10/09/03 at 00:40
Regular
Possum wrote:
> Astoria 29th march 2003 ?

Nah t'wasn't I don't think. The one before probably.
Tue 09/09/03 at 21:55
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Anyone see Rocket Science?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.