GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"high usage limit."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/08/03 at 00:20
Regular
For a site that says unlimited bandwith within reason would you assume that 6Gb was out of reason.

My host 10kwebhosting.com has put a cap on my bandwith usage 6Gb its an outrage!

It says unlimited but in small print it says that high usage will result in a limit being set but 6Gb is pretty crap i can go and buy hosts which are cheaper dont pretend to have unlimited and offer 10Gb.

just posting to say if any of you thinking of going with this company with a site that uses lots of bandwith think twice!
Thu 21/08/03 at 15:22
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
My figures were way off the mark,

oneandone.co.uk 40gb month for £20 a month or 10gb month for £10 a month

123reg.co.uk 2gb month for £5 a month

Basically I'm paying £5.83 a month for 1gb web space and 20gb month bandwidth :)
Thu 21/08/03 at 15:25
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
And don't forget that geocities give you 3mb an hour for free (it's monitored per hour before you start working out what it is per month !)
Thu 21/08/03 at 15:25
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
6gb isn't a high amount though. Other hosting companies will tell you you get say 15gb bandwidth - but by 10kwebhosting.com's standards, just about every hosting company in the world would have "unlimited, high bandwidth".

It's stupid! You can quite easily get over 1gb bandwidth being used a day, and I wouldn't call that a high amount, it just means you've done well in getting your site popular, and you provide a lot of content for the visitors.

They might as well not bother calling it unlimited. It's clearly trying to trick people into signing up, especially when you can then pay more for a higher amount of unlimited bandwidth.
Thu 21/08/03 at 15:27
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I'm paying £0.00 a month for pretty much unlimited space and bandwith. And they mean it too - if you need more, they'll give you more.

Or like phi11ip, you can become a mod and control your own account, giving yourself as much as you need.

Now that's good hosting.
Thu 21/08/03 at 15:27
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Fact is if you're getting 6gb monthly transfer you should bloody well be paying for it. If I remember correctly bandwidth in the UK costs about £1/gb, so for every 6gb user you're losing £6 a month, which is quite a lot.

Bottom line, you can't expect to host a high bandwidth site for free.

(By comparison: Our highest bandwidth user who runs a large weblog which pulls 2000 hits per day on pages alone currently runs at about 5gb/month)

Sounds to me like you're doing filehosting. Naughty.
Thu 21/08/03 at 15:36
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I think there may be limits though to other people...

The highest that's been allowed to a site owned by a user is 10GB.
Thu 21/08/03 at 15:38
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
so it's not unlimited....

You pays you money and makes your choice, just make sure you read the small print and ask the right questions before paying your money !
Thu 21/08/03 at 15:50
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It's unlimited for some people. Just not others.

PLus they didn't put it in their T&C either. It just said you get a high allowance which could mean anything!

So in future, you should always email them and get an exact figure before they screw you a week after setting your account up!
Thu 21/08/03 at 15:50
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
phi11ip wrote:
> The highest that's been allowed to a site owned by a user is 10GB.

As of yet though, I haven't seen anyone be refused the bandwidth they request, unless they're hosting torrents etc.

£20 a year from 10kwebhosting is a fair price, I have to admit, but I don't see why a user should be expected to crawl into the small print to see what they're actually buying.
Thu 21/08/03 at 16:21
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
That's the way of the world unfortunately.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.