GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does anyone know any good DVD's to get?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/07/03 at 14:35
Regular
I am starting a DVD collection. Does anyone know any good DVD's, prefebly films? At the moment I have Saving Private Ryan and Gladiator. I am thinking I might get the Star Wars trilogy, the Indiana Jones trilogy or Star Trek: First contact.

Thanks
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:12
Regular
I enjoyed The Rock and Con Air, the rest of their stuff is terrible though.

I rank Bruckheimer next to Stephen Segal and Jean Claude Van Damme in terms of annoying.

As for the Jet li comments, I agree with you, his Western films have been utter toss. Same goes for Chow Yun fat and Jackie Chan, compare something like 'The One' or 'Rush Hour' to some of their early work and you'll find it's Western ideals that have f***ed them up.

I just wish all the Asian film stars would stop seeking fame in the West and just stick to making the type of films that they're good at.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:14
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Where as Blackhawk down takes a real life event and turns into another "America's the best" pile of patriotic toss.

Eh?

I take it you haven't seen Black Hawk Down then. The fact that it was American Marines that were involved in that particular incident. Its films like Pearl Harbour that have allowed American's to re-write history in a BS manner. Black Hawk Down tells it as it happens. There is no happy ending, American Marines lost their lives for being sent into an impossible situation. Its not a bloody action film like The Rock where its all made up.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:16
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:

> I "laugh in your face" if you can honestly compare something
> like Black Hawk Down to some cheap Japanese action film like Hard
> Boiled.

*resists urge to swear constantly at Alistair*

You ignorant muppet, you really have no bloody clue do you?

I give up, how can you even think about comparing a big budget piece of patriotic bullsh*t like 'Blackhawk down' to a cult classic like 'Hard Boiled'?

End of conversation, I've had enough of your foolish ways. Next thing you're gonna be trying to tell me that Jerry Bruckheimer is a better director than John Woo.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:17
Regular
Play.com have a section for Hong Kong legends. I never purchase anything remotely western because it ends up a shambles. Take The One for instance. Jeez what the hell were they doing? Jet Li is talented at what he does yet all his moves were computer generated and completely unbelievable. The acting was shocking and why the hell they cast "Turkish" as the protector role was beyond me. I can just imagine him saying "You a t*t Tommy" or something along those lines from his work in Lock Stock and Snatch.

If it was just the odd one I could liv with it. However every time I turn the TV on there is some BS starring Jet Li as a super human Dinasaur or something totally ridiculous.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:20
Regular
Heh!

Black Hawk Down tried to re-create a REAL LIFE EVENT. It wasn't meant to be full of cheesy dialouge and BS stunts.

Classic films like Die Hard are completely different, they aren't bloody real for starters.

If you actually read the book Black Hawk Down for the actual events you will realise what they went through. Its bloody ignorant of you to expect some sort of cheap thrills film from something so tradgic.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:23
Regular
When did I ever expect some type of cheap thrills film from Black Hawk Down?

Urrrrrrr

One last thing, if it wasn't for 'Hard Boiled' you would have no Max Payne.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:25
Regular
You do know that the events in Black Hawk Down were exactly what happened in real life don't you? Its just the bit about you saying it was an to show "America's the best pile of patriotic toss." That to me suggests you haven't seen it.

18 young American soldiers lost their lives and thats all the film shows. There is no patriotic BS about it. The film doesn't make the American's look extra special in any way.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:27
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
>The amount of BS that I have seen over the years from Jet Li amongst >thers I can't honestly think of a series of
> action films from the same Producer which lived up to some of
> Bruckheimer's early work on films like The Rock and Con Air.

Sacrilege and blasphemy, you philistine!

The Shaolin Temple starring Jet-Li is one of the finest martial arts films to ever grace the earth.

Con Air was rubbish, The Rock was his only decent film.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:28
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> One last thing, if it wasn't for 'Hard Boiled' you would have no Max
> Payne.

Bullet time was John Woo's original idea. Even if he hadn't released Hard Boiled doesn't mean that he wouldn't have gone on to use it in one of his later films.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:29
Regular
Shaolin temple wasn't ruined by Western Directors of produces. Thats the point we made about Jet Li being talented but wasting his time on tosh like The One.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.