GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does anyone know any good DVD's to get?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/07/03 at 14:35
Regular
I am starting a DVD collection. Does anyone know any good DVD's, prefebly films? At the moment I have Saving Private Ryan and Gladiator. I am thinking I might get the Star Wars trilogy, the Indiana Jones trilogy or Star Trek: First contact.

Thanks
Mon 28/07/03 at 14:48
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Armageddon
> Best of the Best
> Black Hawk Down
> Gone in Sixty Seconds

> For action films you can't go wrong with Michael Mann films and Jerry
> Bruckheimer.

Sick joke, right?
Mon 28/07/03 at 14:49
Regular
I try to mix classic with action and a couple of horror here and there. Unfortunatley the majority of films released these days are appauling as both films and/or DVD's so you will be mainly looking at pre 2000 DVD's.

However if you are wanting DVD's that are good for the fact that they are DVD's then you may also want to check out Pearl Harbour 2 disc. Solid Dolby Digital soundtrack and its defintitley good for the extras.

Add Donnie Darko to you list as well.
Mon 28/07/03 at 14:50
Regular
Heh!

If you think that Black Hawk Down is a joke then it says it all really. It was a true story brought to life in an awesome way. What did you want from it?

As for the others they are just cheap and cheerful action films. If you can name some better ones that I don't have then please go ahead...
Mon 28/07/03 at 14:54
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Add Donnie Darko to you list as well.

*Nods head in agreement*
Mon 28/07/03 at 14:55
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Heh!
>
> If you think that Black Hawk Down is a joke then it says it all
> really. It was a true story brought to life in an awesome way. What
> did you want from it?

It was a piece of patriotic BS my friend.

>
> As for the others they are just cheap and cheerful action films.

Armageddon made me want to gouge my own eye balls out with spoons, just so I didn't have to witness anymore Bruckheimer toss.

If
> you can name some better ones that I don't have then please go
> ahead...

Die Hard 1+2
Predator
Starship Troopers
Total Recall
Terminator 1+2
Face off
The Killer
Hard Boiled
Any Bruce Lee Film

etc etc
Mon 28/07/03 at 14:59
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Die Hard 1+2
> Predator
> Starship Troopers
> Total Recall
> Terminator 1+2
> Face off
> The Killer
> Hard Boiled
> Any Bruce Lee Film
>
> etc etc

Got the Bruce Lee box set as well as the Die Hard SE 4 disc 1 + 2 box set but the 3rd is BS so I avoided. If you honestly think Starship Troopers is better than Black Hawk Down then there is something wrong. I do have Star Shipt Troopers, Face OFF, Con Air and the Predetor 1 + 2 box set but I haven't got the others.

Correct me if I am wrong though but isn't hard boiled that BS attempt by Chow Yun Fat (sp?)
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:00
Regular
Oh and he said films that weren't 18 and aside from Star Ship Troopers and the Terminators I believe they are all 18 movies.

Hence the reason why I asked if he could have 18 films. He said no so I listed alternatives that were in the 15 age band.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:05
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong though but isn't hard boiled that BS attempt
> by Chow Yun Fat (sp?)

Hard Boiled is one of the greatest action movies ever made. Directed by John Woo and starring Chow Yun Fat, please god don't tell me you're gonna even attempt to call it crap, i'll just laugh in your face.

Japanease action films are streets ahead of the majority of pap that comes out of the West.

As for the Black Hawk Down being better than Starship Troopers, i'd say you're wrong. Starship Troopers is a load of crap, it's watchable crap though. Where as Blackhawk down takes a real life event and turns into another "America's the best" pile of patriotic toss.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:06
Regular
I would also be interested to who you think Produces better action films for the 15 age band than Jerry Bruckheimer and the late Don Simpson? The majority of toss that is released today lies well under the shadow of some of their work. As an action film although it doesn't live up to the 68 original I honestyl thought Gone in Sixty was a solid cheap and cheerful action flick. The same can be said about Armageddon in the shadow of Apollo 13 (despite the fact that one actually happened).

Action films work towards one goal. They are there to entertain people for the short time they are on and then once they are over they are quickly forgotten. The amount of BS that I have seen over the years from Jet Li amongst others I can't honestly think of a series of action films from the same Producer which lived up to some of Bruckheimer's early work on films like The Rock and Con Air.
Mon 28/07/03 at 15:10
Regular
Black Hawk Down takes a real life event and does its best to put the viewer in the middle of the action. I have never seen a film which puts you closer to a real life event. I didn't watch it to be "WOWED" by the special effects or attention to detail. I watched it because I am a fan of military films and what happened in Mogadishu (sp?) was a tradgedy. One mans mistake in putting Marines lives at risk for the sake of rescuing the dead Marine's bodies for burial purposes was brought to life in a way which I don't believer any other producer could have done.

I "laugh in your face" if you can honestly compare something like Black Hawk Down to some cheap Japanese action film like Hard Boiled.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.