GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Connection Dropping"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/05/09 at 10:59
Regular
"I like turtles"
I posted this problem a couple of months ago.My Freeola connection drops (usually overnight,but don't know if this is just coincidental ?).I was advised to try unplugging my router for a small period (think I left it off all day while I was at work) as I think this resets the connection at the exchange ?.It got better for a short period of time but now its as bad as ever.I replaced the router but that has made no difference.Its not a huge problem as all I have to do is reboot the router and its ok for a day or so.I will try the unplugging the router overnight trick again,no reason not to.Has anyone else experienced this problem ?.If not would that point to the issue being with my local exchange ?.
Fri 08/05/09 at 17:37
Regular
"I like turtles"
If I stood on the roof on my house I could pretty much throw a stone and hit my exchange.This made my laugh as my previous ISP (the mighty Tiscali) said the reason for their pants connection speed was because I was too far away from my local exchange !.I live in a fairly small village and our exchange is years old.Can't see we would be one of the first exchanges to get upgraded but you never know.Speed has never been an issue since I joined Freeola 2 1/2 years ago,its always been good.I am starting to think my dropout problem could possibly be exchange related.

Just put my number into the Freeola speedchecker :

Your Exchange: Unknown
Expected Speed: Unknown
Fri 08/05/09 at 17:01
"Are you sure?"
I'll swap my line with yours! :¬)[/b]

You have the fastest 'normal' connection for an 'interleaved' line - 7616, along with the correct IP Profile (see the table in my earlier link). That shows that you haven't had any low sync events - I'm guessing this is because your line is so good that you still sync very high even if you do drop your connection sometimes at night.

You must be pretty close to your exchange!

You will benefit when your exchange is upgraded and you can move to WBC (Wholesale Broadband Connect) - these are the 'UP TO 24Mb' adverts that you see on Freeola. The 'up to 8Mb' annoyed me enough, now I have to look at '24Mb'!!!

Put your phone number into Freeola's availability checker to see if your exchange has an upgrade date.

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 08/05/09 at 16:10
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for the help guys.

I did the BT speedtest.The results were :

Your DSL connection rate: 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),

448 kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4844 kbps

Seems respectable enough as I seriously doubt that our local exchange boasts the most cutting edge technology on the planet.I did change the cables when I swapped my router and I only have 1 phone filter which I have now just swapped but I would be surprised if that is causing the problem TBH.Checked the settings on my router and there does not appear to be any 'kick me off when i'm idle setting' and I do not have a Sky box.I only have one phone port in the house which I only have my router and the single base to my cordless phone plugged into.The light on the router does flicker from time to time and the connection does drop when it is in use.Its not the end of the world as I just have to reboot the router when it drops,its just a bit annoying.

Thanks again for the comments guys,I'll see how I get on with the new filter installed.
Fri 08/05/09 at 12:48
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
I've looked into your connection history and it doesn't look too intermittent, although I can see it drops out late in the evening (11-11.30) every other night.

When you replaced the router do you also change the cables and filters at the same time as, more often than not in my experience, these cause the intermittency as opposed to the actual router. Also in the past we have had customers who have had their Sky box connected to the phone line which caused similar intermittent connections on the line. If you do have a Sky box I would advise you also check the filter on this socket, maybe even unplug that for a few days to see if this makes a difference.

Have you ever been using the connection when it drops? If so, we would be very interested in what the 'sync' (or DSL) light on your router does at this time. Do you notice it drop or flicker or does it stay solid for the duration?

Finally, as you have used two routers I'm assuming this is not the case, but I would also check that you have not set an 'idle timeout' limit or have a 'use on demand' option enabled anywhere within the router. The fact that the connection seems to mainly drop out in the evening could point to the latter as the cause.

I have had BT do some testing on your line and they are not able to see anything un-toward. Your noise margin is moving slightly but that is nothing to worry about at the current levels.
Fri 08/05/09 at 12:40
"Are you sure?"
Hi pete_21,
The problem with losing sync is you may also affect your IP Profile. I've linked to a table showing the settings - see up the page for notes.

So if you reconnect at a lower speed BT's systems will slow you up until you have been connected at a higher speed - depending on the connection differences this can take up to 5 days to recover! So losing sync is never a good thing.

The reason ADSL often has problems overnight is due to the addition 'radio interference' that occurs during darkness. Your line has a SNRM (signal to noise ratio margin) - if this drops too low when the interference (noise) occurs your line will drop.

It's worth doing an official BT Speedtest as this will reveal your IP Profile and Connection speed etc. speedtester.bt.com

Not sure about the 'unplug the router for a while' advise!
You can clear a stale PPP session (your logon) by doing this for 30mins but otherwise it sounds like someone was just trying to get shot of you...

FWIW I've tried to explain things in a few pages here: ADSL Max

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 08/05/09 at 10:59
Regular
"I like turtles"
I posted this problem a couple of months ago.My Freeola connection drops (usually overnight,but don't know if this is just coincidental ?).I was advised to try unplugging my router for a small period (think I left it off all day while I was at work) as I think this resets the connection at the exchange ?.It got better for a short period of time but now its as bad as ever.I replaced the router but that has made no difference.Its not a huge problem as all I have to do is reboot the router and its ok for a day or so.I will try the unplugging the router overnight trick again,no reason not to.Has anyone else experienced this problem ?.If not would that point to the issue being with my local exchange ?.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.