GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Connection Dropping"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/05/09 at 10:59
Regular
"I like turtles"
I posted this problem a couple of months ago.My Freeola connection drops (usually overnight,but don't know if this is just coincidental ?).I was advised to try unplugging my router for a small period (think I left it off all day while I was at work) as I think this resets the connection at the exchange ?.It got better for a short period of time but now its as bad as ever.I replaced the router but that has made no difference.Its not a huge problem as all I have to do is reboot the router and its ok for a day or so.I will try the unplugging the router overnight trick again,no reason not to.Has anyone else experienced this problem ?.If not would that point to the issue being with my local exchange ?.
Mon 25/05/09 at 19:40
Regular
"I like turtles"
Keep getting this message in Firefox when connection hangs :

Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

Usually get this message a couple of times,prior to the connection dropping altogether.
Mon 25/05/09 at 17:55
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Tappet wrote:
> Dragonlance wrote:
> Noticed a month ago that our telephone line was 'wavy' not
> 'straight' or 'taut' like all the rest coming from the same
> pole.
>
> How taut your phone line is depends on the time of yr, during
> cold months the line will contract and appear taut/straight,
> while during warm months it will expand appearing slack/wavy.

Thanks Tappet, but I do understand the 'laws of cold and heat' - the line in question is slack and wavy all year, but all the rest, some 10+, are ramrod straight :-)
Sun 24/05/09 at 23:35
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Noticed a month ago that our telephone line was 'wavy' not
> 'straight' or 'taut' like all the rest coming from the same pole.

How taut your phone line is depends on the time of yr, during cold months the line will contract and appear taut/straight, while during warm months it will expand appearing slack/wavy.
Sun 24/05/09 at 22:14
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
No call as yet................:-D
Sun 24/05/09 at 20:34
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
if you get no joy this way, there is another path, but
it relies on who you know not what you know.

If you know of a local person who is a BT engineer, have a friend who does or a friend of a friend of a friend who does then have a quiet word with them, u'll find most are willing to have an 'off the record' look.

my cousin lives in a cul-de-sac, 2 engineers were recently working on the near by exchange, after they left the elderly lady who lives opposite was receiving all phone calls made to every house in the cul-de-sac,lol, my cousin rang his friend of a friend who came round on that friday evening and sorted it.
Sun 24/05/09 at 19:50
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks Tappet for your suggestion. The connection gives between 5mbs and 6mbs but occasionally you get this 'dead patch'. We live 300 yds from the exchange. We had a new house 'shoe-horned' into next-doors garden last year and ever since, things have not been ok.
Noticed a month ago that our telephone line was 'wavy' not 'straight' or 'taut' like all the rest coming from the same pole. Our line crosses the access point for this new dwelling and I think it has been subject to damage.

Just rang BT re telephone wire/pole damage and got India!!!!! The call was finally understood and has now been logged. Apparently an 'ingineeerial' will contact me within the next 4 hours to resolve the problem. When I questioned this, as it was 7.05 pm when I called, I was informed that it was 11.30 pm in India and no problem. Ok....I await the call from the 'ingineeerial' .... will let you all know how we progress:-)
Sun 24/05/09 at 19:30
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
if your sure its your connection lagging etc, then ring BT.

i had a friend who's connection was slow, very slow.
His isp said all was ok and they couldn't help
BT said all was ok and it was due to his internal phoneline wiring.
He rang BT everyday til they sent an engineer round free of charge. My friend insisted he checked the exchange, as he had only moved in his newly built house a few weeks earlier, upon inspection the engineer discoverd the exchange was wired incorrectly, the engineer reconnected my friends line to a block that had no other connections, problem was sorted plus the engineer told him , while he remained the only connection on that block in the exchange he would always recieve the same connection speed.

Get on the phone to BT and insist they look in to this prob, do this everyday until they they send an engineer out free of charge.
Sun 24/05/09 at 17:45
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
There is definately a problem with the service. During the last few days the page search/refresh rate has been abysmal - one page request fine, request another....forget it ....it doesn't happen. I do think it's about time something was done and you clever lads at Freeola should look into it....not just from your end....the servers are definately screwing up.
Sun 24/05/09 at 16:34
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
Ive been having the same sort of prob over last 12 months.
Its as if im not connected to the net even though tho the routers network and internet stats say all is ok.
When this happens i have no internet access until i unplug the power lead from the router for 20mins or so, not even rebooting the router by pressing the reset button sorts the hanging prob.

I did contact Freeola support about this a few months back while i had no access and they said all seemed ok and i was still connected at thier end. After they went through my router settings with me they were just as baffled as me and advised me to try another router.

Between ordering and receiving a new router the problem stopped but did start again a few months later and still happens once or twice a week.

A local computer shop told me that some routers do hang/lock up and is due to over heating, which i guess does make sence when unplugging the routers power lead for 20mins (allowing it to cool down) sorts the problem and the prob did stop during the winter months, so i'm assuming that the hanging/locking up of the router is recently happening more often due to warmer times.

If your still having this prob, try...
Stand ing the router vertical with provided stand, or
Lift the router up on blocks at either side to allow air to circulate all around it.
Keep it away from monitor, pc or other devices that generate heat.
Place it somewhere so its always in the shade.

Ive followed these rules for last few days and had no prob since, but time will tell.
Wed 20/05/09 at 22:41
Regular
"I like turtles"
Think I may be getting somewhere.My wife was on the phone and I was on the internet (this site actually) and both had problems.Internet hung (hence my double post in the gaming forum) and phone had intermittent break up before they died in unison.Rebooted the router as usual,and its clear.Reckon its got to be an issue at our local exchange ?.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.