GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Good free firewall.."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/07/03 at 16:51
Regular
Can't be bothered to buy Norton or anything like that.

Does anybody have a good free firewall that they could recommend me?

Easy question, gonna get complicated answers now!

Thanks.
Thu 24/07/03 at 12:31
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Quazimodo wrote:
> Me and my mate r learning to hack (legally of course) what languages
> do you need to know?

malbolge
Thu 24/07/03 at 12:30
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Most hacking is done by bulk - script kiddies have a script scan a range of ip addresses. The script then flags the most interesting/vulnerable looking computers for the kiddie to look at later. Home security largely involves making your computer look as uninteresting and difficult as possible to a casual scan, which is what a personal firewall does.
Thu 24/07/03 at 08:57
Regular
Me and my mate r learning to hack (legally of course) what languages do you need to know?
Thu 24/07/03 at 01:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The hell? YOu think hacking is EASY? You think firewalls make it any more difficult? Any programs that you're running that has vunerabilities is going to bypass your gay personal firwalls anyway ffs.
Thu 24/07/03 at 00:23
Regular
Yes go get haced easily.......
Wed 23/07/03 at 23:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You see, THAT's good as firewalls go.

My point has been made.
Wed 23/07/03 at 23:21
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
Zone alarm yes yes BUT it is very volitile and is kinda reactive any random poo which appears which is kinda bad and halts computer activity e.g. online games etc also rumoured to slow connections BUT it is the best out there
Wed 23/07/03 at 17:27
"High polygon count"
I used to use ZoneAlarm, but now I've got McAfee Personal Firewall, which is a breeze to use.

Never known of either to cause any unnecessary problems to users, though. Both are very easy to use.
Wed 23/07/03 at 15:04
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
It's impossible not to install these programs if you want to use the internet (and broadband) to it's full capability.

For example - real player. Constantly checking the internet while you use it for stupid instant messages and all that rubbish. I could either go through all the settings finding each little bit (and still have the possibility that it will send back info) or I could go into Zonealarm and stop it from being a server.

I think I know which is easiest and more reliable...

Oh, and zonealarm is currently using 3mb of my 512mb RAM. While idle, the computer still uses 0% processor power. Compared to the 35mb Mozilla is currently taking, Zonealarm is nothing to worry about performance-wise.
Wed 23/07/03 at 14:44
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Maybe if you didn't install annoying programs in the first place..

Trust me, firewalls cause no end of bother if you don't know exactly what you're doing. You shouldn't need a firewall, the provide no security enhancements, and the only circumstances where you should ever use a firewall is when you're forced to have one by ICS/NAT etc.

-Turbonutter

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.