GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I think I need to help someone, and I'm not sure how."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/07/03 at 10:40
Regular
This is about a girl. It always is, I suppose – no-one writes topics about blokes on here. Not meaningful ones. That’s something worth taking into consideration, because, despite the platonic tone I am keen to emphasize, I wouldn’t be typing this if the girl was a boy. But perhaps that’s just the way people are, I don’t know.

This is a girl called Skoda. She’s a ballet dancer. Some of you might remember her from a thing on a trampoline last summer (Jebus, have I been posting here that long?). She’s probably one of my best friends, when I think about it. I’ve known her since year 8 – I’ve just finished my GCSEs, so that makes it 4 years. That’s a long time.

Here is the problem. She’s funning crazy now. Not crazy in a mentally impaired way, but in a ‘better to burn out than fade away’ way. She’s a heavy drinker – she won’t just have a couple of alcopops, she’ll drink until she drops.

And frequently does. I’m not usually there, but you hear stories. Falling down in the middle of roads, that was 2 Fridays ago. Week before that, she ended up at my house. I wasn’t here, I was in Penzance. But my older sister (21, back from uni) had to rescue her in a pub, and bring her back here to vomit and cry. My sister hasn’t seen Skoda for years, but they used to be ballet dancers together.

Of course, this could only be a problem in my head. Maybe I just want to save her in a nice dramatic Dawsons Creek way, I don’t know. After all, if I really wanted to help someone, I should try the alcoholic in the village, because he definitely needs saving. But I don’t want to do that, and nor does anybody else, so they won’t. And he’ll die, there’s no question about that.

The other thing is sex. She’s 16, she can sleep with people, I don’t care. But she does. A lot. She had a boyfriend for 3 months, that was good, that was steady. But that broke up a couple of weeks ago, so she’s single now. I don’t know…obviously she wouldn’t do it if she didn’t enjoy it, and I’m not in any position to tell her what she does and doesn’t enjoy. But I just think, in the long run, she’s going to get so emotionally hurt.

Because she’s gorgeous. Absolutely drop dead gorgeous. And nobody disputes that. It’s not just her figure, it’s the way she moves. Everything about her, her laugh, everything, just makes you want to, in Goatboys words, ‘pole her’. And people will pretend to care about her just so they can touch that body. And at some point she’s going to reach for someone, and they’re not going to be there, not on an emotional level.

Just to note, I’m absolutely and totally in love with my girlfriend, so, although I admit Skoda is fit, there’s not a thought of anything happening between us. Because my girlfriend is the best. Completely and utterly the best.

So this my point, and this is what I want replies to. Other than this helping me sort out how I feel, this being carthetic (is that a word?), I need to know if I should try to do something. Because, in 2 years time, I couldn’t bear to see that she’s still in the state that she’s in. Because I don’t think she’s happy. I don’t think she’s happy at all.
Fri 18/07/03 at 22:43
Regular
A party may not be the best timing...

But it does sound like you should try to do something.
Jeez, tough position, to get the right balance between making your point and pushing her away.

I guess the only advice I could give would be to be as honest as possible, while remaining tactful.
And if it does all collapse, be there for her then.

Oh, and I'd definitely suggest getting hold of her at a time with no distractions, when she's sober, when you'll be able to talk it over properly.

Good luck.
Fri 18/07/03 at 22:47
Regular
"joypadjunkies.com"
I agree a party i dont think will be the right place, apart from the chance of her drinking there, You dont want to make a scene. You need a different enviroment to approach the situation.
Sat 19/07/03 at 19:59
Regular
"Light of the world"
This girl sounds like she has some issues. Alot of people when they drink so much they are trying to escape something. Sometimes they feel that through drinking/drugs/not eating they can escape from the thing they think no one will understand.

her boyfriend left her, she sleeps around and she seems a ni on alky. She probably has had no one there to stop this.

You have posted a thread, you think highly of her and probably see more to her than a nice body and easy ride.

Although she will probably try to push you away(its what women do) By saying you care as a friend, you want her to be ok again etc this will give her a reason to stop. It would also show that she is being noticed - and not when she is drunk or because you want something out of her.

From a friends point of view just show her you care. That will do so much good for her you won't even know it.
Sat 19/07/03 at 20:35
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
If it was me I'd call her a stupid bint and tell her to get her act together before she really hurts herself and/or the people that care about her. It may sound harsh, it may sound uncarring but if it gets through to her then it's worth it. If not then I suggest you try as hard as you can to wash your hands of her. I know that will be hard as you've been friends for so long but that's what I would do.
Sat 19/07/03 at 20:36
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
Does your girlfriend know you want to help this girl? If not I would tell her before you do anything to help or she might take it the wrong way. Maybe your girlfriend could help her too? Good luck, it's a good thing to help otheres.
Sat 19/07/03 at 20:42
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
Cubist wrote:
> If it was me I'd call her a stupid bint and tell her to get her act
> together before she really hurts herself and/or the people that care
> about her. It may sound harsh, it may sound uncarring but if it gets
> through to her then it's worth it. If not then I suggest you try as
> hard as you can to wash your hands of her. I know that will be hard as
> you've been friends for so long but that's what I would do.

Iit would be really bad to just 'wash your hands of her' you'd have to be a real assh*le to do that, it's just going to make her feel worse, what if a couple of weeks later she killed herself? You'd feel overwhelming guilt for a long time and would probably be your fault. Also, calling her a stupid bint will probably make her even more depressed, it's best only to do that to people who are either making a big deal out of nothing, or are emotionally stable, this girl doesn't sound emotionally stable, so it would probably make her hurt even more. God i'd hate to know you out of these forums...
Sat 19/07/03 at 20:45
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Screw you, and you called me the ass|-|ole. What else can you do? Sit her down and have a rational conversation and maybe she'll see the light? Get real.
Sat 19/07/03 at 20:53
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
I said anyone who would do that was an ass][ole, if you would do that then you are one, grow up cubist.
Sat 19/07/03 at 20:54
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
You just have to show her that you care, and her confidence and ability to control her life will increase, telling her she's a stupid bint is really going to help her confidence increase, eh cubist.
Sat 19/07/03 at 20:55
Regular
"You've upset me"
Cubist wrote:
> If it was me I'd call her a stupid bint and tell her to get her act
> together before she really hurts herself and/or the people that care
> about her. It may sound harsh, it may sound uncarring but if it gets
> through to her then it's worth it. If not then I suggest you try as
> hard as you can to wash your hands of her. I know that will be hard as
> you've been friends for so long but that's what I would do.

God you're an unsensitive, immature, emotionally deprived neanderthallic prat aren't you?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.