GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cars - why bother?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/07/03 at 16:35
Regular
My girlfriend has it in her head to get a car. She can drive, I can't. BUt because I will be "reaping the benefits" of her being able to drive, she wants me to split the costs, 50/50.

Now, maybe it's just me, but the economics of running a car just don't seem to make good sense.

We have an option to buy a car to around the value of £3,000, spreading the payments over 3 years - interest free.

Great, I hear you cry.

But then you have to insure it. Quotes come in at the princely sum of £800. Immediately almost doubling the cost of the car over the three year payment period. But even once it's insured to drive, you can't *actually* drive the thing, because you have to tax it, too. Something to the tune of £120+ to get your little sticker. So far we're looking at just under £2,000 a year.

But still the car is not "roadworthy", as it can't drive without... ta da da da da daaaa - petrol. I'm told "it's nothing to worry about" and "about £20-30 a week". Ooh, some small figures. But let's read the small print here. £30 a week? That's £1,560 a year.

So, for the paltry, almost insignificant price of £3,560, we have a car for a year. Put in a better perspective, for only £10,680 we have the car for three years and it is fully paid for, by which time, we'll likely be bored of it and want a new one.

Now, I can either have a car, or go on holiday twice a year to the bahamas, throw money to the wind gathering useless possessions and betting on the lottery, and afford all the alcohol and takeaway food I could ever want.

Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Somebody please tell me why on earth I would choose the car?
Fri 11/07/03 at 16:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
You pikey
"Horseless carriage? Pah, it'll never catch on"

Get the bus everywhere, share you lungs and space with horrible, wrong-faced mutants.
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
The only good thing about cars is the convenience.

If it will not offer you that, dont get a car.
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> no to all three questions

Well there's your answer, no point throwing money at something you don't need.

Why does your woman want one?
Regular
"not dead"
My choice is simple. I start work at 8:00. If I don't take my car, I take the bus.

If I take the bus, I have to leave the house at 6:25. If I take my car, it's &:15. That's 50 minutes.

On the way I home, I'd get back at 5:55 on the bus. In my car, it would be 4:35, that's another 80 minutes, a total of 130 minutes. Over two hours, every day.

Now if I go to work every day of the week, that's 10 hours 50 minutes.

If I work 47 weeks of the year, thats 30550 minutes, or 509 hours 10 minutes. More than 21 days, that's an extra three weeks of my time I'd spend travelling to and work.

Then there's comfort. The bus has no air conditioning, and Walter smells. Walter frequently gets the bus.
Fri 11/07/03 at 16:45
Regular
"Light of the world"
does your girlfriend need the car?

Do you live with her?

Would you use it for good use?

Do you regularly use public transport or pike lifts from others?
Fri 11/07/03 at 16:42
"Darkness, always"
no to all three questions
Fri 11/07/03 at 16:40
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Somebody please tell me why on earth I would choose the car?

So you can tick it off your, "places to do it" list.

On second thoughts, just rent one for that...or use the bus.

Do you actually require a car? Do you have long commutes? Is it going to vastly improve your life?
Fri 11/07/03 at 16:35
"Darkness, always"
My girlfriend has it in her head to get a car. She can drive, I can't. BUt because I will be "reaping the benefits" of her being able to drive, she wants me to split the costs, 50/50.

Now, maybe it's just me, but the economics of running a car just don't seem to make good sense.

We have an option to buy a car to around the value of £3,000, spreading the payments over 3 years - interest free.

Great, I hear you cry.

But then you have to insure it. Quotes come in at the princely sum of £800. Immediately almost doubling the cost of the car over the three year payment period. But even once it's insured to drive, you can't *actually* drive the thing, because you have to tax it, too. Something to the tune of £120+ to get your little sticker. So far we're looking at just under £2,000 a year.

But still the car is not "roadworthy", as it can't drive without... ta da da da da daaaa - petrol. I'm told "it's nothing to worry about" and "about £20-30 a week". Ooh, some small figures. But let's read the small print here. £30 a week? That's £1,560 a year.

So, for the paltry, almost insignificant price of £3,560, we have a car for a year. Put in a better perspective, for only £10,680 we have the car for three years and it is fully paid for, by which time, we'll likely be bored of it and want a new one.

Now, I can either have a car, or go on holiday twice a year to the bahamas, throw money to the wind gathering useless possessions and betting on the lottery, and afford all the alcohol and takeaway food I could ever want.

Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Somebody please tell me why on earth I would choose the car?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.