GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cars - why bother?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/07/03 at 16:35
Regular
My girlfriend has it in her head to get a car. She can drive, I can't. BUt because I will be "reaping the benefits" of her being able to drive, she wants me to split the costs, 50/50.

Now, maybe it's just me, but the economics of running a car just don't seem to make good sense.

We have an option to buy a car to around the value of £3,000, spreading the payments over 3 years - interest free.

Great, I hear you cry.

But then you have to insure it. Quotes come in at the princely sum of £800. Immediately almost doubling the cost of the car over the three year payment period. But even once it's insured to drive, you can't *actually* drive the thing, because you have to tax it, too. Something to the tune of £120+ to get your little sticker. So far we're looking at just under £2,000 a year.

But still the car is not "roadworthy", as it can't drive without... ta da da da da daaaa - petrol. I'm told "it's nothing to worry about" and "about £20-30 a week". Ooh, some small figures. But let's read the small print here. £30 a week? That's £1,560 a year.

So, for the paltry, almost insignificant price of £3,560, we have a car for a year. Put in a better perspective, for only £10,680 we have the car for three years and it is fully paid for, by which time, we'll likely be bored of it and want a new one.

Now, I can either have a car, or go on holiday twice a year to the bahamas, throw money to the wind gathering useless possessions and betting on the lottery, and afford all the alcohol and takeaway food I could ever want.

Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Somebody please tell me why on earth I would choose the car?
Sat 12/07/03 at 15:02
Regular
"everyone says it"
I don't think it should be 50/50. But dude a car can come in handy for emergencies etc.
Sat 12/07/03 at 13:36
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Wants to split the cost 50/50? Seeing as she'll be driving it all the time and i doubt you'll be with her on every single occasion, add to that the fact we're supposedly in the era of independant women, make her buy it herself with her own money.
Sat 12/07/03 at 12:55
Regular
Mystique wrote:
> Nova burberry boy

There's note wrong with Nova's ;) And I bet your down the Nottingham circuit round broadmarsh on sunday nights, I'll see ya there sometime. :P

I'm getting a citreon saxo anyhows. Lowered suspension, 17" alloys, new body casing, decent sound system to thump out that bass ;)

You do realise this will cost a lot more then what I can afford, but meh. I can still dream.
Sat 12/07/03 at 02:45
Regular
Oh, and insurance will drop (as long as you dont have any accidents...)

Can drop to about £200 a year with a small engine if you have no accidents.
Sat 12/07/03 at 02:40
Regular
I'm lucky as my dad works for Vauxhall.

Cheap insurance, cheap cars. We have 3 cars in a family of 3 drivers. One Astra (soon to be replaced with a New Vectra Elite - 17" alloys, climate control, leather seats, 4 CD autchanger, star silver metalic paint etc etc) and Two Corsa's - one comfort and one SXi. The SXi (in black) being mine.

Petrol still expensive though :( Although my Dads Turbo diesel Astra averages just under 50mpg, which is sodding fantastic considering the acceleration on it. It usually does 500+ miles to a full tank of 50 litres even though i quite often do 100mph+ on the motorway.

I *need* to drive though. With a daily 20 mile trip to UNI the car is the only way to go. Mind you, i'd still own a car even if i only had a 1 mile trip. Cleaning/waxing my car has become a weekly ritual. As has crusing around blasting out my gangsta rap. I'm playing the stock market @ the moment so i can make 40 Gs for an BMW M3. Should have one within 10 years...*ahem*

As soon as i'm 25 i'll be able to get a Astra GSi turbo on my dads work scheme as currently my dads work doesnt allow me to drive anything more powerful than 100bhp (the GSi is 200bhp)
Sat 12/07/03 at 00:18
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> I'm getting a car cause I like cars.
>
> Especially modified cars.
Nova burberry boy
Fri 11/07/03 at 22:35
Regular
I'm getting a car cause I like cars.

Especially modified cars.
Fri 11/07/03 at 22:04
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
Don't do it, and if you do, research what car to get. Don't buy it from dodgy geezer sellin' it cheap down the market, maybe get it from someone you know and get the AA/ RAC to check it. Personally i'd rather have the takeaways, Bahamas and waste money option.
Fri 11/07/03 at 20:24
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> My girlfriend has it in her head to get a car. She can drive, I can't.
> BUt because I will be "reaping the benefits" of her being
> able to drive, she wants me to split the costs, 50/50.

man, you are one serious sucker. tell her to pay for it herself, thats just daft. what happens when you eventually get a car, she won't be 'reaping any benefits' so you'll get squat. heh :D
Fri 11/07/03 at 20:18
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I couldn't be bothered with a car. It was suggested that I but one for going to and from college, but I prefer to walk or cycle. With traffic the way it is these days it would probably be quicker walking or cycling! It'll only take an hour and a bit on foot.

One thing I can't stand seeing is people clogging up the roads with cars on journeys that'd take maybe a half hour all told on foot, i.e. going to the shops, visiting a mate. It's ridiculous.

It's handy to have a car if you're in, say, Meka Dragon's situation where it seriously cuts down on commuting time,or if you find it difficult walking, but other than that I think cars are a pointless expense. I can't get over how many of my mates have cars and all they use them for is to go the shops or go to a mates. That, and of course, it makes them "cool", or so they say.

I'll never bother to actually even entertain the idea of a car until if I end up with a job that is too far away for travelling by bicycle or on foot. I could think of better ways of spending a few thousand quid.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.