GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cars - why bother?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/07/03 at 16:35
Regular
My girlfriend has it in her head to get a car. She can drive, I can't. BUt because I will be "reaping the benefits" of her being able to drive, she wants me to split the costs, 50/50.

Now, maybe it's just me, but the economics of running a car just don't seem to make good sense.

We have an option to buy a car to around the value of £3,000, spreading the payments over 3 years - interest free.

Great, I hear you cry.

But then you have to insure it. Quotes come in at the princely sum of £800. Immediately almost doubling the cost of the car over the three year payment period. But even once it's insured to drive, you can't *actually* drive the thing, because you have to tax it, too. Something to the tune of £120+ to get your little sticker. So far we're looking at just under £2,000 a year.

But still the car is not "roadworthy", as it can't drive without... ta da da da da daaaa - petrol. I'm told "it's nothing to worry about" and "about £20-30 a week". Ooh, some small figures. But let's read the small print here. £30 a week? That's £1,560 a year.

So, for the paltry, almost insignificant price of £3,560, we have a car for a year. Put in a better perspective, for only £10,680 we have the car for three years and it is fully paid for, by which time, we'll likely be bored of it and want a new one.

Now, I can either have a car, or go on holiday twice a year to the bahamas, throw money to the wind gathering useless possessions and betting on the lottery, and afford all the alcohol and takeaway food I could ever want.

Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Somebody please tell me why on earth I would choose the car?
Mon 14/07/03 at 02:15
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Blank wrote:
> I don't understand that mentality at all. Instead of buying a small
> car and adding loads of crap to it to make it look better, just buy a
> bigger car.

I totally agree with that, some of the cars that i see with stupid looking spoilers, bucket seats and wierdly curved tacky plastic bodies that resemble the rear end of a hippo, just make me wonder how anyone can drive such an atrosity and not shrivel up in shame. The townie 17year old girls think they're the coolest things under the sun.Oh i forgot the "racing seat belts" <--fitted to a 1.2 nova!!!

Me...Id use the subtle approach that speaks for itself...BMW M3 baby yeeeaaaahhhhh, all the gadgets are buried under the bonnet, including one of the best engines known to mankind.
Mon 14/07/03 at 02:02
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Lil Ginge wrote:
> Meka Dragon said:
> >and Walter smells. Walter frequently gets the bus.
>
> there is a walter in every village so it would seem

IAM WALTER AND THOUGH SHALT PAY FOR YOUR INSOLENCE
Mon 14/07/03 at 00:22
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Back to the future hoverboards- they would be the coolest thing ever along with lightsabres. :P

I am increasingly getting annoyed with cars and i'm only 16. I love Top Gear and cool cars and all, but when you're in endless traffic jams day after day I really do think there must be another altrenative. I use the bus all the time so I may take a pilgramage not to own a car later in life because basically, they will be the death of this planet- mark my words, oh yes, Cars WILL KILL US ALL.

There is some truth in the above statement.
Sun 13/07/03 at 16:07
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Somehow, I believe you....

*wonders what strange contraption Grix Thraves is dreaming-up*
Sun 13/07/03 at 13:24
Regular
Black Glove wrote:

"I'm waiting for someone to invent a hoverboard."

Ok, gimme a little while though.
Sun 13/07/03 at 13:03
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Tell her to get knotted.... heh, "get knotted".
-Note: I have a random disregard for the welfare of other people's relationships.

A motorbike and sidecar would be a better option.
You could do a camp Biggles impression with a white scarf and a pair of goggles.

I don't drive. Probably never will.
I'm waiting for someone to invent a hoverboard.
Sat 12/07/03 at 18:38
Regular
Blank wrote:
> I don't understand that mentality at all. Instead of buying a small
> car and adding loads of crap to it to make it look better, just buy a
> bigger car.

It's an interest/hobby.
Sat 12/07/03 at 18:11
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
gamezfreak wrote:
> I'm getting a citreon saxo anyhows. Lowered suspension, 17"
> alloys, new body casing, decent sound system to thump out that bass ;)

I don't understand that mentality at all. Instead of buying a small car and adding loads of crap to it to make it look better, just buy a bigger car.
Sat 12/07/03 at 17:47
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Mystique wrote:
> Nova burberry boy
>
> There's note wrong with Nova's ;) And I bet your down the Nottingham
> circuit round broadmarsh on sunday nights, I'll see ya there sometime.
> :P
>
Actually, No you won't. I've been on there once maybe twice on a Sunday night and we were just passing though.
It's sad. All of them just parked next to Broad Marsh car park watching other slack jawed mouth breathers drive round in circles.
Sat 12/07/03 at 15:20
Regular
"The Red Shift"
just give her a friendly contribution, ie. not 50/50. it probably would be a reasonable purchase.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.