GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any Guitarists Here? A little advise please."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/07/03 at 19:30
Regular
I'm looking to get myself an electric guitar but as it'll be my first, I would like to know what would be a good guitar to get me started.

At the mo I'm looking at the Squire Strat by Fender, it's from Argos and I would like to know if it's any good or if it's not worth it. (£200) with amp included.

I'm sure someone here will know of a better guitar I could get, but remember I'm just starting and I don't want anything too expensive just yet.

Thanks.
Sat 05/07/03 at 18:25
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Well I managed to pick up a Tablature book today it's the 'Guitar Tabs, White Pages' book. I think it'll be helpful and the guys in the shop gave me the names of a couple of recommended instructors in my area.

I've gave one of them a call and he charges £20 an hour, is this the usual price you'd expect to pay? He has also advised me to start off with an Electric Guitar instead of an Acoustic. He says some good guitars for beginners are the Squier Strat range, an Epiphone Les Paul or a Caster. I've never heard of a Caster till now so I'll need to look at those.

Anyway, does this seem like some reasonable advice to you? I'm gonna phone the other instuctor later since he must not be home just now.

Thanks again for any help.
Sun 06/07/03 at 20:45
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
The amp it comes with is probably a 5w practise amp (ie: balls)
Mon 07/07/03 at 19:18
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Yea thanks, but I've decided not to get the Argos pack.

I've found a good music shop, where I got my tab book, and the staff seem to know what their talking about so if I have any problems, I can talk to someone in the know and get some good advice. I'm gonna get my guitar next Monday from that shop, so I'll see what kind of pack I can get next week.

I'll have between 250 and 300 quid so I should get a decent pack.
Mon 07/07/03 at 19:55
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
My first is an Encore, but it's busted, so I'm taking it back to Argos and might give em an extra £50 or so to get a Squier Fender :)
Mon 07/07/03 at 20:08
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I just found this site:

www.mxtabs.net

They have tabs for almost every song you can think of so that's a good start.
Tue 08/07/03 at 16:29
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
Yeah that's quite good. Most of them are wrong though.
Tue 08/07/03 at 16:32
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
Lou Role wrote:
> Yea thanks, but I've decided not to get the Argos pack.
>
> I've found a good music shop

Haggle them like a fox though. Usually if you are buying a few things they will give you money off. Or if you have breasts.
Tue 08/07/03 at 16:51
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
Judah Ben-Hur wrote:
> Or if you have breasts.

Including man breasts?
Wed 09/07/03 at 19:27
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
Learning guitar rules, I started at christmas and am now pretty sweet.
I play stuff along the lines of Thrice, Blink, and I make up my own bad ass stuff.
Wed 09/07/03 at 20:15
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
I have a disadvantage in that my hands are really small and I find it difficult to play many chords, in fact it's all almost impossible. Really annoying when there's this lanky git who is really good and plays in all the school performances etc. Grrr.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.