GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any Guitarists Here? A little advise please."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/07/03 at 19:30
Regular
I'm looking to get myself an electric guitar but as it'll be my first, I would like to know what would be a good guitar to get me started.

At the mo I'm looking at the Squire Strat by Fender, it's from Argos and I would like to know if it's any good or if it's not worth it. (£200) with amp included.

I'm sure someone here will know of a better guitar I could get, but remember I'm just starting and I don't want anything too expensive just yet.

Thanks.
Thu 03/07/03 at 19:30
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I'm looking to get myself an electric guitar but as it'll be my first, I would like to know what would be a good guitar to get me started.

At the mo I'm looking at the Squire Strat by Fender, it's from Argos and I would like to know if it's any good or if it's not worth it. (£200) with amp included.

I'm sure someone here will know of a better guitar I could get, but remember I'm just starting and I don't want anything too expensive just yet.

Thanks.
Thu 03/07/03 at 19:32
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I don't know much about guitars but considering that's from Argos I'd doubt it'd be worth it. If it's £200 there, I'm sure it'd be much cheaper from a dedicated guitar shop, so you'd probably be better to pick up a better guitar for the same price.
Thu 03/07/03 at 19:37
Regular
I got the £200 one from Argos. I love it for my first guitar. I can't play yet though :c(
Thu 03/07/03 at 19:44
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
DW, the tutorial vid that comes with that package, is it a load of crap or is it any good?

I will be taking lessons from an instructor though, but every little helps.

:)
Thu 03/07/03 at 19:56
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Argos actually aren't that bad for packages like that. Quick tip though - get a songbook (I recommend The Beatles or Oasis for ease and simple chord structuring) and learn the chords before you go into widdle-land. Might take a while, but the payoff is worth it.
Thu 03/07/03 at 20:03
Regular
I thought the video was utter sh...crap.
Thu 03/07/03 at 20:04
Regular
The video was too quick. How am I supposed to listen to you, play the guitar and learn the chords etc.

Basically, the chords you are supposed to hold flashed up on the screen, not giving me enough time to erm, view it. I couldn't be bothered to pause it. Heh.
Thu 03/07/03 at 20:45
Regular
"Far Beyond Metal"
The Squire Strat is a great beginners guitar... I started off with one of those myself. Before buying it from Argos, look around a bit first. Check the price at a few other places. :)
Thu 03/07/03 at 22:52
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
I'd say it's definitely good as a beginner's guitar (was my first guitar). You don't really want to go overboard, as you might end up not wanting to pursue plank-spanking after all - as Homer says, if you aren't good at something straight away, it's not worth doing! (...and don't go pulling me up on any inaccuracies of quote - I'm paraphrasing!)

Personally, I'd not put too much faith in learning from a video. The two best things that'll help you become a better musician are those two holes on the sides of your head (that'd be your ears!) A book might be better than a video - it's very difficult to SEE what someone's actually doing on a guitar when they're playing, but looking at a book means you can learn at your own pace. Always a good idea to shop around though, and go to a guitar shop if you can - you can get some advice from someone who knows what the hell they're talking about and you can try it out first too (if you can get the damn assistant to stop showing off and hand it over!)
Thu 03/07/03 at 23:18
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Those things always come on VHS too, like some relic of the 90s.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.