GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any Guitarists Here? A little advise please."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/07/03 at 19:30
Regular
I'm looking to get myself an electric guitar but as it'll be my first, I would like to know what would be a good guitar to get me started.

At the mo I'm looking at the Squire Strat by Fender, it's from Argos and I would like to know if it's any good or if it's not worth it. (£200) with amp included.

I'm sure someone here will know of a better guitar I could get, but remember I'm just starting and I don't want anything too expensive just yet.

Thanks.
Fri 04/07/03 at 00:29
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I'm playing an Epiphone Les Paul at the moment, my first guitar and I'm slowly gettine better but I see this as one of those things that you have to make time for and expect a slow and tricky start too it all.

If you live near any music stores go in and ask them if they are doing any deals, let them know how much you want to spend and try get a bargain out of them or get them to throw in a few extras.
Fri 04/07/03 at 11:54
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I got royally ripped off with my first guitar, it's the same one from Argos. I pointed it out to my mum (as it was a christmas present back then) and she said ok but then bought the same guitar from a local guitar shop who just gave her the guitar with no amp or anything and then she paid an extra 20 quid for some learners video.
Fri 04/07/03 at 13:29
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I had (and still have for a for more weeks) a Yamaha rxg121s as my first guitar, and it's been great - nothing I wanted to do as a beginner that I couldn't with this. It cost me £199 in the first place (with a gig bag/cable/picks thrown in), and I certainly don't regret buying it; I started off using a practise amp borrowed from my uncle before I could afford my own, in order to be able to spend a little more on the guitar in the first place. I wasn't sure whether or not I'd want to keep it up, but I found this enjoyable to play and it encouraged me to keep doing so. Definately get the best you can afford to, you'll enjoy playing it more and should be encouraged to keep it up.
Fri 04/07/03 at 13:35
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Go with a squire or an epiphone.
Fri 04/07/03 at 13:39
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
I'd love to play an electric guitar, the only problem is I can't read sheet music heh:S Slight problem but I'd love to be able to do it.
Fri 04/07/03 at 15:05
Regular
Cubist wrote:
> I'd love to play an electric guitar, the only problem is I can't read
> sheet music heh:S Slight problem but I'd love to be able to do it.

Guitar music is written in Tabulature. Not sheet music :P When I started learning muy guitar I had (and still have) no idea how to read sheet music.

Its written in a series of numbers and symbols representing what frets/strings to play.

In answer the the main post - Its probably best if you look around music shops in your local town, see if they have any deals going ect.

Also....Pick up a copy of "Total Guitar: Beginners Special 2" its VERY good for a beginner - comes with a good CD aswell to help you learn.
Fri 04/07/03 at 16:36
Regular
"you've got a beard"
ok, firstly it depends what kind of sound you want...
strats are more on the tinny side of things and Les Paul-style guitars are have more bass, especially budget models, but they're all fine to learn on still :)

don't bother with anythng under about £100 though. seriously, 90% of them are badly made and make playing such a chore that you won't want to do it anymore... which would obviously suck lots.

£200 for the squier?
hmmm, it depends which one it is, there are 3 kinds.
the Korean, the mexican and the japanese.

£200 is FAR too much for the korean one but is average-ish for the mexican (from new). i'm betting it's the korean one from argos, if "squier" is written in boring blocked black writing on the headstock then it's korean and there's NO way you should pay £200 for it.

i agree with memorendum though, don't bother with argos, get it from a proper music store, you should be able to get a small amp included for the same money and if it needs setting up then it's no problem, whereas at argos there's noone ot help you.

as for learning, lessons can't hurt, but a good way to practice is find an album you like (and own!), find the tablature book and just start playing along, you'll soon pick up what notes fit where and things. it doesn't really matter if you can't read sheet music, i've been playing (properly) for about 5 years and i still can't read it, never needed to though.

hope it all goes well for you dude
Fri 04/07/03 at 18:48
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Thanks for the advice guys, it's been very helpful. I will go to a few music shops before I get anything from Argos and I'm off to find some mags just now.

Also, what is a 'tablature' book?

Thanks again.
Fri 04/07/03 at 19:29
Regular
Lou Role wrote:
> Also, what is a 'tablature' book?

A book full of guitar tabs :P

Guitar tabs are a simple way of noting the music that needs to be played....

Check out this, Its a better explanation

http://www.mxtabs.net/bassguitar.php? PHPSESSID=35beaf26752809dd9afcde59998bd1fa

(Yes they've put the tab explanation into the bass sectinon for some reason)
Fri 04/07/03 at 20:52
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Thanks gamezfreak, that site was very useful and I'll regularly have a read through it. I'm going into town tommorrow and I'll look around different music stores, I'll pick up a tablature book if I can, and any other mags or books that'll be useful.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.