GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any Guitarists Here? A little advise please."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/07/03 at 19:30
Regular
I'm looking to get myself an electric guitar but as it'll be my first, I would like to know what would be a good guitar to get me started.

At the mo I'm looking at the Squire Strat by Fender, it's from Argos and I would like to know if it's any good or if it's not worth it. (£200) with amp included.

I'm sure someone here will know of a better guitar I could get, but remember I'm just starting and I don't want anything too expensive just yet.

Thanks.
Mon 14/07/03 at 20:06
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
triggerhappyrocker wrote:
> Lou Role wrote:
> I've never heard of a Caster till now so I'll need to
> look at those.
>
> lol! "Caster" is short for either a stratocaster or a
> telecaster. It just means either one of them. For example if somebody
> prefers "casters" to lets say Les Paul it means they like to
> play eithers strats or teles.

Yea lol, I know I'm dumb. I realised that a while back, I just forgot to mention it here. :)
Mon 14/07/03 at 20:04
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Well I got my Guitar today as planned, and an amp.

I got a Squire Strat, apparently the 20th anniversary edition, but I wouldn't know for sure. Anyway, it cost just £150 and it does sound good cos I asked the guy in the store if I could hear what it sounded like, and play he did. I also liked the look of it, it's a kind of golden metallic colour, so I got that.

Then looking at amps, the one the guy was using cost £140, which was a bit more than I was planning on spending for a starter, so I got the slightly cheaper version at £90, which, duh, didn't work when I got it home. :( So I've phoned the store and I've just to take it back and get it replaced, but now I want that amp the guy was using, man that sounded good. :) It was a Marshall Amp, I couldn't tell you what kind exactly, but it was big. So I'll get that tomorrow instead.

Then I got the strap, plectrums and gig bag.

Then just as I had payed, this other staffie guy came up to the counter and asked the other guy, "You sure it's £150 for that guitar?" They looked it up and it was actually priced at £230, but they thankfully never asked for the extra cash, it was their fault anyway. :)

All came to around £260 which I think wasn't too bad. (apart from the dud amp of course)
Sun 13/07/03 at 15:35
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Re: Yamaha ERG121 - Not GAK, i dont think they stock yamaha electrics. I meant the Soho Soundhouse. They'll also throw in a Marshall MG10CD 1x6.5 10W combo amp for £40 extra which is VERY good. Emulated line out, 2 channels, EQ control Master Volume control, overdrive, FDD switch, CD input, emulated headphone out jack, the lot.
Sun 13/07/03 at 15:30
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Lou Role wrote:
> I've never heard of a Caster till now so I'll need to
> look at those.

lol! "Caster" is short for either a stratocaster or a telecaster. It just means either one of them. For example if somebody prefers "casters" to lets say Les Paul it means they like to play eithers strats or teles.

"Castors" are great guitars but only the signature series, USA series, Texas series or Mex (Mexican) series. The squires are just.....tacky!

If you dont want to pay out for a mex strat (they start at about £400) then yamaha have some good quality strat/tele copies. The ERG121 is a strat body and neck with 2 single-coil pickups and a humbucker on the bridge. You can pick one up for about £80 from GAK.

If you prefer chunkier single cut bodies then go for a Les Paul copy, or if you've got the money, the real thing. I ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Standard a few weeks ago and managed to get it for £310 when its RRP is £550!

A note to serious guitarists: Marshall have recently bought out a Zakk Wylde signature amp. It's a JCM800 2203 100W head and apparently it kicks a r s e! Its powered by, i think, 4 EL388s and 4 EL34s.

Also having recently played through one, i now highly recommend the Marshall Mode Four. It's a 350W head (Yes, 350W!!!!) and A and B 4x12 cabs. Very nice. Try one out as soon as you can.

That's all.

Trig.
Thu 10/07/03 at 13:02
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
Kilgore Trout wrote:
> Judah Ben-Hur wrote:
> Or if you have breasts.
>
> Including man breasts?

Especially those
Thu 10/07/03 at 11:27
Regular
Most of the stuff from Oasis is simple aswell.
Thu 10/07/03 at 07:36
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
Yeah, Blink stuff is p!ss easy :D
Thu 10/07/03 at 02:56
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
To show off learn stuff by Green Day or Blink 182 as it's easy as pie. That's after the basics though obviously.
Wed 09/07/03 at 20:48
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Heh, I had that problem for ages, I'm finding more ways round it now, nothing I've found it to be a major problem for. I have smaller fingers with a smaller reach than any of my friends, and I'm the only one who plays guitar..Ah well. It made me concentrate a lot on accuracy, which has been very beneficial in the long run.
Wed 09/07/03 at 20:15
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
I have a disadvantage in that my hands are really small and I find it difficult to play many chords, in fact it's all almost impossible. Really annoying when there's this lanky git who is really good and plays in all the school performances etc. Grrr.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.