GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who will buy an X-Box???"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/02/01 at 15:58
Regular
Im curious as to how many people have already decided to buy an X-Box. Can you keep your answers brief, like "yes" or "no" and then a quick explanation, I dont really want people going into details like the pipelinig architecture of the X-Box RISC CPU etc etc.

I'll start: I will buy one. Possibly not on day of release, it depends on the price.

Ingsy
Sat 07/07/01 at 19:37
Heres the specs for the Alpha Development kit PCs used to make Xbox games (taken from Microsofts own website)

Intel 733 MHz Pentium III
Intel VC820 motherboard
NV15 with 64MB DDR (250MHz core, 183MHz memory)
128MB PC800 RDRAM
20 GB HD
6x DVD drive
Intel Pro/100 MB Ethernet card
Microsoft mouse
Microsoft keyboard
Xircom USB Card
2 Game pads

This is basically what the Xbox is in PC terms, and that would set you back at least £600...the X-box will retail at £300. Doing the math the Xbox looks like a bargain.
Mon 20/08/01 at 17:34
exuse me but the ps2 will need more time to get started
as loads of peaple have already said that by the time x box is out new improved games will be out like.
finel fantasy x , mgs2 and gt3 is already out

so i think the x box is a load of crap made by crap micro soft.
Mon 20/08/01 at 17:36
thats to pac man down below
Sat 25/08/01 at 16:31
Regular
New Jimmy wrote:
> Heres the specs for the Alpha Development kit PCs used to make Xbox
> games (taken from Microsofts own website)

Intel 733 MHz Pentium
> III
Intel VC820 motherboard
NV15 with 64MB DDR (250MHz core,
> 183MHz memory)
128MB PC800 RDRAM
20 GB HD
6x DVD drive
Intel
> Pro/100 MB Ethernet card
Microsoft mouse
Microsoft keyboard
>
Xircom USB Card
2 Game pads

That is impressive but im still not even the slightest bit tempted, the hardware is obviously good but I cant see enough AA titles coming out on the system.
Sun 26/08/01 at 00:11
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
ingsy905 wrote:
> Im curious as to how many people have already decided to buy an
> X-Box. Can you keep your answers brief, like "yes" or
> "no" and then a quick explanation.

Yes.

(I made my mind up for sure a few days ago when I saw the full streaming gameplay of Halo from the E3 show).

I've always had Sega and Sony before (Megadrive, Saturn, PSX, Dreamcast) as well as the SNES.

X-Box has the following pluses:

Powerful, loads of money poured into it, some great games in the making (Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Dragon's Lair, and possibly Metal Gear X and a TOCA title from Codemasters to come as well), huge specifications, and even if it gets released at a high end price (£350) you are still getting more future proofing with the X-Box than any other console apart from the PS2 seems to offer.

The alternatives out there (128-bit+ consoles):

Dreamcast, already have one, it matches the PS2 at the time of writing both for graphics and games catalogue. I'll probably end up holding onto it as well as the 47 games that I've so far collected (it's kind of a hobby with me).

PS2, matches the Dreamcast at present but has great potential for great titles in the future, the like of which we've never seen before. The reason I'm avoiding it this time is I've played a lot of Sony published titles on the PSX before, I don't want more sequels, and the general consensus at present from PS2 owners is that although they are happy with it they'd like more good games, of which there aren't enough at the present. I feel that the X-Box will provide more novelty value with their games than Sony will.

Gamecube, looks good, the graphics show that Nintendo have put a lot of good work into the hardware, and it should thoroughly delight its owners, as long as they are younger than 16. I'm 34, I go for the more realistic look in games, preferring to shoot enemies with an AK-47 rather than a tomato gun, or drive a real car as opposed to fly on the back of a bumble bee. I feel that the X-Box will offer more titles in that area than Nintendo will.
Sun 26/08/01 at 00:23
Regular
I'm be purchasing the Xbox.
My reason: FRESH VIBES MAN, FRESH VIBES.
Sun 26/08/01 at 15:53
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I will buy a Xbox and am currently saving for it so I can get one at launch day.

The reasons? Well,for me the Xbox is looking very exciting for alot of reasons, mostly the games. I'm a huge Sega fan and they have pledged to support the Xbox with the Shenmue series, Crazy Taxi next, Jetsetradio future( I love the first game) and House of the Dead 3 ( check out Xbox.com)

The other games for it look really promicing too. Munch''s Oddessy, Halo, DOA3 and MSRs sequel. And there is also Raw is war for all you WWF fans.

Also, I know hardwear isn't everything but the Xbox is exciting in this respect with the potential for some mind blowing games.

Xbox is a PC? Nah don't think so. Even if it is, thats no bad thing. And the price? Around £300 at launch, the same as the PS2 was and your getting more value for money I reckon.

Roll on spring.
Sun 26/08/01 at 16:42
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Mewtwo wrote:
> YES
I will buy one it will kick the crap out of the PS2, After all
> has Microsoft ever really failed with anything?

sorry to spam up but do u like Pokemon at all Mewtwo? give me an answer and we can go straight back to the topic.
Fri 23/11/01 at 01:44
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
I will not pay a penny for my XBXO - I am making sure that I win it
LOL - don't ask me how
Fri 23/11/01 at 01:45
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
haha i mean XBOX

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.