GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Balls to you, Sky!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/06/03 at 20:56
Regular
So, some joker in programming at Sky has decided to move Alias to Sky One Mix as of next week.

What a way to lose half the audience!

A cracking show, just getting really interesting, and they move it to a backwater channel.

Great if you have Sky Digital, no use at all if you get Sky through cable.

I was going to buy the DVDs anyway when they're released, but now I have to wait for the Season 2 discs to see the rest of the series.

Obviously done to increase viewers for what is essentially a repeats channel, but a Very Bad Move in my opinion. There's no way in hell I'm switching to Sky Digital from NTL - we have TV, broadband and telephone from NTL, AND I can record terrestrial TV while watching Sky without needing to fork out an extortionate amound for Sky+ or a second installation (same thing as far as I know!)

So balls to you, Sky - and expect an e-mail of complaint very soon.
Thu 19/06/03 at 20:46
Regular
Chemical Brother wrote:
> maddmun wrote:
> But, I can see Sky's logic behind this, I mean, SKY One is a Sky
> channel, so, why should they let it be shown on an unnofficial
> receiver?
>
> That makes no sense. If they don't want non-Sky subscribers to view
> it, why sell them the rights to show it in the first place?
>
> Companies like NTL don't get to show Sky One for free, you know - they
> do have to pay Sky for the rights.

YOu think I don't know this?

What companies like Sky do however is analyse when their channels are watched the most and take action accordingly.

They see that Alias is watched by many people and move it to an exclusive channel to get more subscribers, as subscribers bring in more money.
Thu 19/06/03 at 20:34
Regular
"Wobble"
maddmun wrote:
> But, I can see Sky's logic behind this, I mean, SKY One is a Sky
> channel, so, why should they let it be shown on an unnofficial
> receiver?

That makes no sense. If they don't want non-Sky subscribers to view it, why sell them the rights to show it in the first place?

Companies like NTL don't get to show Sky One for free, you know - they do have to pay Sky for the rights.
Thu 19/06/03 at 19:01
Regular
HMm, I don't watch it, but, I will say, is Sky One Mix is crap. Everyone with Sky Digital in my area is getting a crappy low quality signal, which makes most channels jump every 10 seconds. Sky One Mix is the worst of them all.

But, I can see Sky's logic behind this, I mean, SKY One is a Sky channel, so, why should they let it be shown on an unnofficial receiver?
Thu 19/06/03 at 10:34
"The Will of D."
That really p!sses me off, I have the exact problem as you, I have NTL Broadband and cable, even if it's on Saturday night It means I have to tape it then watch it the following morning when I could have just watched it on Monday instead. No more monday Tv anymore, all i have left is Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday TV days, this is so annoying!
Thu 19/06/03 at 10:17
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Whatever happened to Sky Movies Widescreen... it just dissapeared?!?
Mon 16/06/03 at 17:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Been cancelled already? Damn.
>
> Did anyone notice that CSI was an hour later than normal last night?
> It also appears to have been one of first episodes I think. Sara
> joined in that one. But then I never saw the first ones so maybe they
> did a few series without her.

If you are referring to tuesday night on channel 5, it was a double bill, the first one was a new episode, the second a repeat.
Mon 16/06/03 at 17:14
Regular
"Wobble"
Adrian was right. The episode of Alias showing tonight on Sky One Mix is repeated on Sky One this coming weekend - 00:30 Sunday morning (or Saturday night, however you want to look at it).

I'm still livid about the move, though.
Thu 12/06/03 at 17:10
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
Meh, no more of Tiffany-Amber-Theissan then? :D
Thu 12/06/03 at 16:46
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I think it was cancelled due to viewing figures. But it was shown on a Friday night and I think if I remember got quite good ratings. Also John Doe which was another Friday night show on Fox just after Fastlane was cancelled. It was a bit of a thinker at times but was such a good program. Now talk about cliff hangers as John Doe had one of the best and I was so looking forward to Season 2, but it got cancelled :(
Thu 12/06/03 at 15:29
Regular
"Wobble"
Fastlane is just another to add the pile of decent programmes axed because the Yanks don't watch them.

You could *almost* understand why Sky have been messing around with the scheduling of it, BUT...

They've also bought and started showing American Gothic at 10pm on Thursdays - an awesome show, which was originally shown on Channel 4 in the mid 90's, and was also axed after just one season and left you hanging.

Yet Sky have lapped it up, put it in what for them could be considered a Prime Time slot, and touted it as "All New". Surely more evidence that their scheduling department is run by monkeys?

I'm very surprised at Fastlane being cancelled, though. Usually the only shows which fail in the US are those which require a little bit of thought to follow. Fastlane is fast-moving and great fun, but it could never be accused of having complicated plotlines!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.