GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Well that was depressing"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Need For Speed'.
Fri 15/07/05 at 20:11
"possibly impossible"
Played Need for Speed on PSP and on DS today. No competition, the PSP version really outdid the DS in every respect.

However, that said, it still didn't 'do anything' for me, I mean it was a basic racer that wouldn't look out of place on a PS1. I guess that realistic racing games just don't fare that well with the DS, a trend Nintendo seem to uphold with every console, though I do like Asphalt.

I'm happy with the other games I have on DS though, so it's not going to be disappearing anytime soon...
Sun 17/07/05 at 12:45
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Edgy wrote:
> The sensible casual gamer will think, "Play on tele for a cheaper
> price or put something else in my pocket with my mobile and wallet,
> etc, playing the same games on a smaller screen for a higher
> cost?"

I don't think most sensible people think like that. Most people probably don't realise that most of the PSP games are the same as PS2 games, or don't care. Lots of people would love to have a handheld console that basically plays PS2 games.
Sun 17/07/05 at 02:07
Regular
The sensible casual gamer will think, "Play on tele for a cheaper price or put something else in my pocket with my mobile and wallet, etc, playing the same games on a smaller screen for a higher cost?" and instead will buy the PS2.

However, most casual gamers I met through working in games retail aren't sensible.

The DS has something new to offer, which is why it appealed to me.
The PSP doesn't, so I probably wont get it.
Sun 17/07/05 at 01:56
Regular
"Touched!"
Edgy wrote:
> sPiKeCaSt wrote:
> Graphics aint everything which is why a lot of people will go
> for the PSP because they will see the graphics and think "yeah
> it has better graphix!! omg!"
>
> Let me get this straight...graphics ain't everything...which is why a
> lot of people will get the PSP...
>
> Um...that makes about as much sense as Pink singing Lady Marmalade.

Sorry that's what doing at the pub does to you. I meant that people will go for the PSP because it clearly has better graphics than the DS.
Sun 17/07/05 at 01:47
Regular
sPiKeCaSt wrote:
Graphics aint everything which is why a lot of people will go
> for the PSP because they will see the graphics and think "yeah
> it has better graphix!! omg!"

Let me get this straight...graphics ain't everything...which is why a lot of people will get the PSP...

Um...that makes about as much sense as Pink singing Lady Marmalade.
Sun 17/07/05 at 00:18
Regular
"Touched!"
Mozzy wrote:
> Dringo, you might be, but im not bothered who is selling the most out
> of the two companies. Im bothered about how fun and long lasting the
> games are and imo the PSP has already won.

Handhelds are not about what lasts the longest at all, you've said it yourself "I don't care who sells more" which goes to show that you don't have a clue, you keep going on about who has this on the PSP and not the DS but does Sony have more sales? No. Simple as that. And before you start saying Mario is same old like you did with MK, what do you call Ridger Racer? Wipeout? etc etc. Face facts - a lot of games these days are re-hashed games from older games or just ports, but you don't see us lot going into the Sony forum being mongs do you? Goes to show that the average Sony users knows jack about the industry. (and yes I am involved in the industry btw!)

Also you may have noticed that Ninty and Sony are aiming at different markets with their games, so I'd say it's very unfair to compare the two.People will go for the PSP because they will see the graphics and think "yeah it has better graphix!! omg!" I'll probably get a PSP at some point myself but nothing at the moment really appeals to me.
Sun 17/07/05 at 00:13
Regular
"Touched!"
Mozzy wrote:
> You're not getting Pro Evo, Sony are!
>
> mwhahahaha...

Go back to the Sony forum then mongtard. Jesus you Sony lot always trying to get peoples backs up. PSP is good for some things DS is good for others, why people can't accept this is beyond me.
Sat 16/07/05 at 23:53
"Tesco value"
I just get teary eyed over perfect dark and goldeneye.

For the love of god, you know it's right, come on people make the damn port.

I miss using Natalya as a human shield in the jungle, suspectable to just about every single bullet except the one she stupidly runs into hitting her club of meat hand.

[URL]http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/GoldenEye69/characters.html[/URL]

can you remember first plugging the game into the 64, I remember bringing it back on the bus and turning the 64 on to be greeted by the proper music, and then the camera spanning around the first level and into the back of james bonds head, just trying to take it what was happening, and then you find the sniper rifle, at the beginning of the level and realising that holding the camera up button you can zoom in even further! that was the first decent use of a sniper rifle in a game I had ever seen.

watching the guards itch themselves, chase flies unawear that your about to pop a cap in their face.
Even better when you get to the dam and can snipe the guards at increadable distance.
My Mate brought a 64 soley for the sniper rifle in goldeneye

what about the first time you played the snow level with the Radar tower, you could see it from miles away as it slowly grew bigger the closer you got. I also loved the way you could go crazy with a KF soviet and you'd get some really good geath animations and once in a blue moon you'd watch them flayal back into the wall and slide down it. Brilliant stuff.
It was a good while until the cheat came out for the extra characters, and it was always a race to the all but one character at the end of the pack, a small woman in a yellow costume, tiny she was, the only character with a real advantage, and was especially funny when being chased by Jaws.

This game set so many benchmarks for FPS, Rare did a good job, no other game has made me feel the same excitement as when I first got goldeneye
Sat 16/07/05 at 22:18
Regular
> Legendary Link wrote:
> I dont see the DS creating that solid
> look that most games on the N64 had.
gerrid wrote:
> It's just because the graphics on the DS are a lot sharper. On the
> N64 every game was antialiased into next century to remove the
> jaggies, which is why most games were so fuzzy.

Thanks, that makes sense, i just had a go on Metroid hunters demo and yes the graphics far surpass N64 shooters, no pop up and sharp as hell. Roll on lots of FPS please, definatley what the ds needs..
Sat 16/07/05 at 20:32
Regular
"Mozzy"
You're not getting Pro Evo, Sony are!

mwhahahaha...
Sat 16/07/05 at 20:21
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I haven't bought a DS game since T&G, simply because there's nothing that catches my eye at the moment, but I know that, as the console progresses, more and more quality titles will come out. Most consoles have a pretty rubbish line up for the first 6 months to a year of their lifespans, as developers are still making their system sellers, like Mario Kart, Mario Bros DS, AoE, Fire Emblem and all those RPGs. I reckon when the second wave of EA titles come out we'll feel more like the DS is having some good releases. Their first games were all rushed, but contained some good ideas. Hopefully we'll get a decent Tiger Woods, Madden and Fifa/Pro Evo sometime into the last quarter of the year.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.