GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guitars :: Guide to buying..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/04/03 at 19:56
Regular
Hey dudes.

I'm interested in getting a guitar, wanna learn to play it. Was wondering if you guys could help me. I'll tell you a package of guitars, and then ask you to decide which one I should go for. Bare in mind that I am a beginner, so I want any guitar. I would prefer getting a Fender one, and would prefer it if I could avoid the Yamaha's. Here's the packages...

PACKAGE ONE :: £139

Squier Affinity series Strat

No amp included in this package, basic, no deals with it. Basically, you pay for the guitar.

PACKAGE TWO :: £139

Fender Squier Guitars

Again, no amp, but a nice guitar. Great colour too...

PACKAGE THREE :: £139

Yamaha Pacifica 012

Third package also has no amp. Don't really like this one...

PACKAGE FOUR :: £210

Fender Frontman Stratpack

The Fender Frontman Stratpack features a Squier Affinity series Guitar, a superb sounding Fender Frontman 15 watt amplifier, Strap, lead, pick, Tuition Video, Instruction book with CD, all in a colouful presentation box. Everything you need to get started. Strat available in Black, White, Torino Red, or Baltic Blue.

PACKAGE FIVE :: £210

The Marshall Rock Kit :: Rocket Special

As well as the guitar you also get:
Marshall MG15RCD - probably the best 15 watt amp on the market
Marshall Roadworthy gig bag
Korg Tuner
15ft Guitar lead
Strap with handy built in pick holder
Spare set of strings and 2 Marshall picks
Online guitar lessons
All in a presentation box.

PACKAGE SIX :: £99.95

Westfield Strat Style

No amp, just basic guitar. £99 though, as a beginner, is pretty damn good.

DECISION

Okay, so which one is the best option? Also, for the guitars without an amp, where can I get a mega cheap amp from? Any online links welcome.

Thanks,
DW
Mon 07/04/03 at 21:12
Regular
Possum wrote:
I got a package for about £200 for a fender squier guitar, an amp, a guitar lead and a cool guitar case (not to mention the plectrum).

I was gunna spend £180 on a guitar and amp, but this looks like a better choice.

What shop was it? Is it the Goodge Street end of Tottenham Crt Rd or the Tottenham Crt Rd Station end?
Mon 07/04/03 at 21:15
Regular
Nah possum is right, go to Denmark street, including soho soundhouse, although they rip u off. Get written quotes and take them to diff shops, they will price beat each other. Its hilarious.

By the way i got an ESP Viper-301 Black, its a beaut but cost me £700

Going up there in a few weeks try and pick me up a Boss V-Wah peddel, i go for individual boss peddels. They rule
Mon 07/04/03 at 21:24
Regular
Now I'm totally confused :cD

Hmmm...I'll just wait until my birthday and see what Santa gets me...wait, that's Christmas, isn't it?

Bah, I'll save my birthday money and add it to some other money that I will have saved and spend £200 on one. Oooo, I'll quickly check X-Electrical and ABC Music's websites.
Mon 07/04/03 at 21:28
Regular
"^_^"
I just ordered a green Encore guitar . . .
Mon 07/04/03 at 21:40
Regular
Bah.

My guitar will be better then yours :cP

Anyway...

Basically, I was gunna save up for:

Maddam Thussards Season Ticket :: £40 (know someone who works at Thorpe Park, so get it for half price)
England Goalie shirt :: £20

That's 6 weeks money...but, I cannae be arsed to get them now, so I shall save up £200 by September (yeah, right), by which it will be my 16th, so I should have around £250+ cash. That's £200 on a guitar, £33 on a passport so that I can get a Visa Electron and £12 on scratchcards. :D

So...I'll be able to get a decent guitar from London...yay...only problem is how to get it home. No doubt I'd have to get it at the end of my journey, and then lug it on the tubes and main line rail all the way home.

Ah...planning ahead.
Mon 07/04/03 at 21:41
Regular
Parr wrote:
> I just ordered a green Encore guitar . . .

oh dear... I mean have fun!
Mon 07/04/03 at 21:45
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Like the others have said DW, it’s far better to shop around and see what deals people are offering, particularly if you are looking to get a guitar/amp package. If you live near London, or don’t mind the travel (bearing in mind what you’ll be coming back with…) then it’s the best place for variety, though if you’re looking for a Squire Strat then the prices really aren’t going to vary a great deal.

The only thing that I would suggest to you is that you buy the best you can afford, even if it means waiting a bit longer to get what you need. Most guitar makers do a ‘beginners’ model now, and you can get a really good guitar for £150 to £200 now. Try as many models as you can, with any luck the guy/gal in the store will be helpful and give you good advice, find out as much as you can about the models in your range and they’re less likely to try and sell you the first thing of the shelf. Ibanez and Washburn make pretty good starter guitars, at around the £170 mark, and you can pick up a 15W Marshall for around £60.

Just try and get the best you can afford man, there’s nothing more disheartening than realising you’ve wasted your cash, because the guitar won’t stay in tune for more than five minutes, and the amp sounds like your playing underwater.

Odin - I assume you’re talking about the Boss PW-10. It’s a great pedal, worth the cash for the Morley effect alone.

Bad Horsie….
Mon 07/04/03 at 22:00
Regular
I really appreciate all the advice. Putting what you have all said together, I have made up my mind. I'll make the hour trip to London with my mate, a pretty good guitarist, and we'll both test some, and I'll come back with the best deal. Then, I'll go to Kingston and get an amp for £30. If I want to use a better amp, I'll borrow my teachers. He won't mind.

Thanks guys, wasn't expecting as positive feedback.
DW.
Mon 07/04/03 at 22:16
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
If you really are going to keep at it and know you are no matter what then don't start with something cheap as you'll soon find yourself wanting something better.

That was the advice I got from guys on here.
Get something you like, sounds good and is within your price range.

Cause my dad plays I got an epiphone les paul which I think is great.. just wish uni work wasn't so busy right now or I'd be playing more often

Or at least trying to play.
Mon 07/04/03 at 22:39
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Out of interest, why did you want to avoid the Yamaha? I have an RGX, bought as my starter guitar, and it's been excellent for learning on. They're about £160, and while I'd certainly not consider myself a pro, it stands up to most things I can throw at it, and has never really disappointed me when I've tried anything. It's given me a good idea of what sort of things I like playing at least, and pointed me in the right direction for next guitar. The only thing I really dislike about it is the tremolo, it objects strongly to much use of that (satch etc..), but hey, floyd rose washburn for that..

(Sorry, I know you've decided on a plan and all, just wondering why the anti yamaha bit...aside from their associations with many other types of product etc)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.