GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guitars :: Guide to buying..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/04/03 at 19:56
Regular
Hey dudes.

I'm interested in getting a guitar, wanna learn to play it. Was wondering if you guys could help me. I'll tell you a package of guitars, and then ask you to decide which one I should go for. Bare in mind that I am a beginner, so I want any guitar. I would prefer getting a Fender one, and would prefer it if I could avoid the Yamaha's. Here's the packages...

PACKAGE ONE :: £139

Squier Affinity series Strat

No amp included in this package, basic, no deals with it. Basically, you pay for the guitar.

PACKAGE TWO :: £139

Fender Squier Guitars

Again, no amp, but a nice guitar. Great colour too...

PACKAGE THREE :: £139

Yamaha Pacifica 012

Third package also has no amp. Don't really like this one...

PACKAGE FOUR :: £210

Fender Frontman Stratpack

The Fender Frontman Stratpack features a Squier Affinity series Guitar, a superb sounding Fender Frontman 15 watt amplifier, Strap, lead, pick, Tuition Video, Instruction book with CD, all in a colouful presentation box. Everything you need to get started. Strat available in Black, White, Torino Red, or Baltic Blue.

PACKAGE FIVE :: £210

The Marshall Rock Kit :: Rocket Special

As well as the guitar you also get:
Marshall MG15RCD - probably the best 15 watt amp on the market
Marshall Roadworthy gig bag
Korg Tuner
15ft Guitar lead
Strap with handy built in pick holder
Spare set of strings and 2 Marshall picks
Online guitar lessons
All in a presentation box.

PACKAGE SIX :: £99.95

Westfield Strat Style

No amp, just basic guitar. £99 though, as a beginner, is pretty damn good.

DECISION

Okay, so which one is the best option? Also, for the guitars without an amp, where can I get a mega cheap amp from? Any online links welcome.

Thanks,
DW
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:56
Regular
Hey dudes.

I'm interested in getting a guitar, wanna learn to play it. Was wondering if you guys could help me. I'll tell you a package of guitars, and then ask you to decide which one I should go for. Bare in mind that I am a beginner, so I want any guitar. I would prefer getting a Fender one, and would prefer it if I could avoid the Yamaha's. Here's the packages...

PACKAGE ONE :: £139

Squier Affinity series Strat

No amp included in this package, basic, no deals with it. Basically, you pay for the guitar.

PACKAGE TWO :: £139

Fender Squier Guitars

Again, no amp, but a nice guitar. Great colour too...

PACKAGE THREE :: £139

Yamaha Pacifica 012

Third package also has no amp. Don't really like this one...

PACKAGE FOUR :: £210

Fender Frontman Stratpack

The Fender Frontman Stratpack features a Squier Affinity series Guitar, a superb sounding Fender Frontman 15 watt amplifier, Strap, lead, pick, Tuition Video, Instruction book with CD, all in a colouful presentation box. Everything you need to get started. Strat available in Black, White, Torino Red, or Baltic Blue.

PACKAGE FIVE :: £210

The Marshall Rock Kit :: Rocket Special

As well as the guitar you also get:
Marshall MG15RCD - probably the best 15 watt amp on the market
Marshall Roadworthy gig bag
Korg Tuner
15ft Guitar lead
Strap with handy built in pick holder
Spare set of strings and 2 Marshall picks
Online guitar lessons
All in a presentation box.

PACKAGE SIX :: £99.95

Westfield Strat Style

No amp, just basic guitar. £99 though, as a beginner, is pretty damn good.

DECISION

Okay, so which one is the best option? Also, for the guitars without an amp, where can I get a mega cheap amp from? Any online links welcome.

Thanks,
DW
Mon 07/04/03 at 19:59
Regular
Just seen two amps for £39.95. That's crap, right? Otherwise, Hands Music (www.guvnor.com/guvnor/Store (SPACE) index.cfm?Store=Hands%20Music) have them for £99. By the way, I currently have no money, but will be saving up...
Mon 07/04/03 at 20:12
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
NB: I haven't been online for nearly a year because my computer got hit with a virus (A copy of MEDUSA) and my computer still has a habit of missing oput random words when i'm in a chat room, message board etc. so just try to bare with me if my post looks a little dodgy! Anyway, on with my message...

Nice job, there are some good guitars there. No offence to anyone who has one but a word of warning: If you're looking for your first guitar, AVOID SQUIRE AFFINITY STRATS!!!!! They may be cheap, look like the real thing, and available from Argos, but they are NOTHING like a proper strat. Several of my mates have them and to be honest, they're just tacky! I tried to do a dive-b0mb on one in the middle of this Joe Satriani song, and the whole thing fell out of tune by 4 frets! And tapping? Forget it! The neck won't be able to take it. Want my advice? Save up the extra money and go for the real thing. Trust me it's worth it! Again, no offence to anyone who has one, this is just my personal opinion. :-)

What's your favourite guitar/amp/effects pedal?
Mon 07/04/03 at 20:23
Regular
Okay. Thanks for the advice dude. Hmmm, so package one is out of the question...
Mon 07/04/03 at 20:25
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Remember that's just what i think! And i grew up playing a Gibson Les Paul Standard! Some people may like them. What do you use in the way of effects?
Mon 07/04/03 at 20:31
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
WELL, I suggest going to London where there are LOADS of great guitar shops, mostly around Totenham Crt Rd (near the Astoria). I got a package for about £200 for a fender squier guitar, an amp, a guitar lead and a cool guitar case (not to mention the plectrum).

And I now consider myself about average on it, not good not bad. I can play a wide range of bands like Slipknot, New Found Glory, Papa Roach . . ..

guitars rule, they're not easy though and require lots of practcio.

good luck . . DUCK !
Mon 07/04/03 at 20:32
Regular
Beginner. First guitar...
Mon 07/04/03 at 20:39
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
yeah that was my first guitar.
Mon 07/04/03 at 20:58
Regular
Guitars are easy to learn, But hard to master.

I'm currently learning Counting Crows - Round here on me guitar....
Mon 07/04/03 at 21:08
Regular
Right. I'm gunna go shopping to some shop down Rathbone Place, Oxford Street, next to CEX. Pretty good shop, gunna look in there. My mates says all the packages are crap, so I might just buy a £40 amp and a £140 guitar.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.