GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guitars :: Guide to buying..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/04/03 at 19:56
Regular
Hey dudes.

I'm interested in getting a guitar, wanna learn to play it. Was wondering if you guys could help me. I'll tell you a package of guitars, and then ask you to decide which one I should go for. Bare in mind that I am a beginner, so I want any guitar. I would prefer getting a Fender one, and would prefer it if I could avoid the Yamaha's. Here's the packages...

PACKAGE ONE :: £139

Squier Affinity series Strat

No amp included in this package, basic, no deals with it. Basically, you pay for the guitar.

PACKAGE TWO :: £139

Fender Squier Guitars

Again, no amp, but a nice guitar. Great colour too...

PACKAGE THREE :: £139

Yamaha Pacifica 012

Third package also has no amp. Don't really like this one...

PACKAGE FOUR :: £210

Fender Frontman Stratpack

The Fender Frontman Stratpack features a Squier Affinity series Guitar, a superb sounding Fender Frontman 15 watt amplifier, Strap, lead, pick, Tuition Video, Instruction book with CD, all in a colouful presentation box. Everything you need to get started. Strat available in Black, White, Torino Red, or Baltic Blue.

PACKAGE FIVE :: £210

The Marshall Rock Kit :: Rocket Special

As well as the guitar you also get:
Marshall MG15RCD - probably the best 15 watt amp on the market
Marshall Roadworthy gig bag
Korg Tuner
15ft Guitar lead
Strap with handy built in pick holder
Spare set of strings and 2 Marshall picks
Online guitar lessons
All in a presentation box.

PACKAGE SIX :: £99.95

Westfield Strat Style

No amp, just basic guitar. £99 though, as a beginner, is pretty damn good.

DECISION

Okay, so which one is the best option? Also, for the guitars without an amp, where can I get a mega cheap amp from? Any online links welcome.

Thanks,
DW
Tue 08/04/03 at 20:48
Regular
Okay...

It's either gunna be the Marshall Rocket Pack or one from an independant shop.
Tue 08/04/03 at 20:37
Regular
"Far Beyond Metal"
I started off on a Squier Strat. They're good guitars for beginners. I never had any problems with it. Out of the guitar deals you have listed, the Marshal Rocket kit is probably the best value for your money but choosing a guitar isn't always about going for the one thats the best value for money... Go for whichever one you think is best using the advice people have given you in this topic.

:)
Tue 08/04/03 at 19:25
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I got a Squier Affinity Series Strat with 10W amp for £170 (I think - it was definitely not much more than that if I'm wrong).

It was my first guitar and it's really nice and easy to play. Seems to work well whatever strings I put on it.
Tue 08/04/03 at 16:09
Regular
Slaveunit wrote:
> just my 2p's worth.

Very helpful too, so thanks.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has helped me out, and thanks to Parr for failing to make me jealous. ;c)
Tue 08/04/03 at 16:07
Regular
Collective Zepplin wrote:
> Maybe you're just crap :P

Too true...too true.

Hey, remember, I said you were a decent poster...respect your elders... :cD

You know, I'm really thinking you are Shaneo. If you are, why hide your identity? We don't give a damn anymore, and the people that do are idiots anyway.

So...are you Shaneo?

*Waits for the "Who's Shaneo?" reply*
Tue 08/04/03 at 16:06
Regular
"^_^"
i just bogiht one of these . . .

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/54/53954/5mar42.jpg
Tue 08/04/03 at 16:05
Regular
Collective Zepplin wrote:
> PACKAGE FOUR :: £210

> Now this is more like a package. Do it :D

> PACKAGE FIVE :: £210

> Or get this one.
>

Okay, out of the two, I like both, but prefer Package Five.

I won't have £210 for a long time yet, about twenty odd weeks. So...I'll start saving now and have enough by September. I'll either go to London to get a package from a shop, or I'll get package five online. Either way, I should have a guitar before or on my birthday. I should also get a bit of dosh for my birthday, so I can get any last minute accessories.
Tue 08/04/03 at 11:59
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
But then if you wanna save a bit of cash, do this.

go to a proper music store, not a store that also sells music scuff, but a proper one, and buy a guitar on it's own. pay around £140 for something really worth having. You can barter in these shops, and should come out with either a free case or a free lead, and some picks. Given the choice, go for the free case as cheap leads last like cheap cheese.

Get a copy of the local freeads paper or try www.adtrader.com for an amp. 10/15 watt amps should be about for no more than £20. You will definately need a LOT more power if you are playing to be heard over a drum kit, but not for your bedroom so it doesnt matter how rough it is as long as it goes.

Spend a tenner on a lead, a fiver on a strap, a fiver on a book - complete index of guitar chords or similar, and you'll need nothing else.

get a mate to show you how to play the entire nirvava - nevermind album (ANY guitarist can do this), and that will show you enough to get you going.
Tue 08/04/03 at 11:49
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
If you've got the cash, go for the marshall rocket kit.

It was really out of 5 or 6, but the rocket kit has what you need, and the other kit has what your parents think you need. Tuition videos are a waste of an hour of your life, and you'll learn more in the same time with a guitar player than you will with a vid, the korg tuner will be superb (I have one), the amp is good enough to start you off and so is the guitar.

You also get a case, which'll be vital if you plan on taking lessons, joining a band or generally taking it anywhere.

just my 2p's worth.
Tue 08/04/03 at 07:26
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
DW wrote:
> fiƒi[oV] wrote:
> Out of interest, why did you want to avoid the Yamaha?
>
> I guess it was based on previous experiance. I've played on a cheap
> one before, dunno which model, but I found it really hard to learn.
> Maybe I'll test one if I eventually get the chance to buy a guitar.
>
Maybe you're just crap :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.