GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband Speed Query"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/03/03 at 16:13
Regular
Guys,

I've been using Freeola Broadband for a good few weeks now, and have a query with regards to the download speed it gives me.

Obviously Broadband is "supposed" to be 512k right? I've NEVER seen my downloads go at a better rate than around 12 - 20k. Is that normal?

I realise that it's dependent on how busy the service is, but i'm serious that i've NEVER found it to run any quicker. Downloading email attachments, watching film trailers, etc etc. On each occasion it shows as downloading at around 12-20k.

I'm hoping that there's something I can do to increase this speed because I must say i'm EXTREMELY dissapointed if this is the standard connection speed.

Cheers,
Sun 30/03/03 at 12:10
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah dude, ditch your ISP. Anything under 50kb/s for that file is unacceptable for the money you're paying.
Sun 30/03/03 at 10:57
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I just tried that file, and got an average of 22, thats crap.

I'll leave it 'till tomorrow to phone Pipex, don't have the time today, but would anyone know if this would more likely be a Pipex problem or my actual phone line from BT???

Glad you bought this problem up in here :) now I've found out just how bad I'm getting it too.
Sat 29/03/03 at 18:16
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Turbonutter wrote:
> You should get *at least* 50KB/s. Try this:
>
> http://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/openoffice/
> stable/1.0.2/OOo_1.0.2_Win32Intel_install.zip
>
> This is from the ibiblio server, it has more bandwidth than probably
> every other server you've used put together.

Downloading that started at 54kb/s and then dropped almost instantly to 40kb/s, then again to 37kb/s where it seemed to settle.
Sat 29/03/03 at 18:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You should get *at least* 50KB/s. Try this:

http://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/openoffice/ stable/1.0.2/OOo_1.0.2_Win32Intel_install.zip

This is from the ibiblio server, it has more bandwidth than probably every other server you've used put together.
Sat 29/03/03 at 17:19
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
That's very slow for a 512k connection. You should be getting about 40+ I would have thought. I don't really know how you would go about resolving this, but you could start with contacting freeola and seeing if there is a known problem and/or asking other freeola customers if they have similar experiences.
Sat 29/03/03 at 16:13
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Guys,

I've been using Freeola Broadband for a good few weeks now, and have a query with regards to the download speed it gives me.

Obviously Broadband is "supposed" to be 512k right? I've NEVER seen my downloads go at a better rate than around 12 - 20k. Is that normal?

I realise that it's dependent on how busy the service is, but i'm serious that i've NEVER found it to run any quicker. Downloading email attachments, watching film trailers, etc etc. On each occasion it shows as downloading at around 12-20k.

I'm hoping that there's something I can do to increase this speed because I must say i'm EXTREMELY dissapointed if this is the standard connection speed.

Cheers,

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.