GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband Speed Query"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/03/03 at 16:13
Regular
Guys,

I've been using Freeola Broadband for a good few weeks now, and have a query with regards to the download speed it gives me.

Obviously Broadband is "supposed" to be 512k right? I've NEVER seen my downloads go at a better rate than around 12 - 20k. Is that normal?

I realise that it's dependent on how busy the service is, but i'm serious that i've NEVER found it to run any quicker. Downloading email attachments, watching film trailers, etc etc. On each occasion it shows as downloading at around 12-20k.

I'm hoping that there's something I can do to increase this speed because I must say i'm EXTREMELY dissapointed if this is the standard connection speed.

Cheers,
Sun 30/03/03 at 22:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well its ping isn't great because it's really quite a long way away, but its throughput is excellent.
Sun 30/03/03 at 22:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
ADH wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
> You should get *at least* 50KB/s. Try this:
>
> http://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/openoffice/
> stable/1.0.2/OOo_1.0.2_Win32Intel_install.zip
>
> This is from the ibiblio server, it has more bandwidth than probably
> every other server you've used put together.

The ping to that file wasnt that fast. Seemed abit of slow starter but did burn along at 61.9K/s for most of the time I downloaded it only dropping to 59K/s every so often. Didn't get all of the file as I didn't want it.

Try this site out http://games.tucows. (SPACE) blueyonder.co.uk/

Normally get good speeds from them.
Sun 30/03/03 at 22:01
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Go to www.adslguide.org.uk and check out the forums. Also check out a program called DrTCP and http://www.dslreports.com (SPACE) /tweaks. DrTCP can be found at that site as well.

Your slow speed could be to do with your internet settings. MTU and RWIN values are critical to how fast your connection is if there too large you will risk getting packet errors and if too small you risk slow speeds. A ADSL 512 connection works best with a MTU of 1430 or 1458, and then a RWIN of either 13900 for the MTU of 1430 or 12762 for the MTU of 1458. If your MTU is larger than 1458 you risk slowing down the routers and equipment at your exchange as the BT equipment is ment for a MTU of 1458 or less.

If you have just upgraded to ADSL then your 56K modem may have changed the MTU to a value suitable for a 56K connection but that is way too slow for a 512K connection. My connection was running with a MTU of 1492 and a RWIN of 17424 and I use to get around 455K of useful data on the speed test which resulted in about 56.9K/s. Could download faster but the speed would drop to around 57K/s. Now with a MTU of 1430 and RWIN of 13900 I have 475K average with a max of 480K on one test. I can now download soildly at over 60K/s. Got some game demos from a Blueyonder site and the average speed for a 200mb file was 60.8K/s.

Tweaking DOES help, if you are experiencing slow speeds all the time and on everysite, p2p etc then try and change you MTU and RWIN via DrTCP. Hope this helps
Sun 30/03/03 at 21:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
=P

Yeah, ibiblio's nice. They host all of sourceforge's files (unc.dl), so yeah, there's loads of Windows stuff there.
Sun 30/03/03 at 21:48
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
950K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 1% @ 118.48 KB/s
1000K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 2% @ 122.85 KB/s
1050K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 2% @ 123.15 KB/s

What a nice server. Don't suppose they ever host anything useful there?

Like, not linux related.. =P
Sun 30/03/03 at 15:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Jesus, you lot are getting really poor services, I don't know why you don't do somethign about it. You're paying for 512k but most of you seem happy to accept 256k.
Sun 30/03/03 at 14:28
Regular
"cachoo"
Mine seems to be like that sometimes.
It's weird because if I'm downloading a small file on a 600k, it'll only go roughly 5kb/s.

But if it's a massive file, it can go anything from 30 upwards.
Strange. But I'm still thankful, still somewhat better than 28.8 or 56k..

But what gets my goat, is, if my computer has been left on doing nothing for a long time.
The internet connection will completely stop, so I have to shut down the computer for about half hour. Not sure why though. It's probably just because of my crap motherboard.. :(
Sun 30/03/03 at 13:15
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Their problems aren't my problems :)

If they don't sort it soon enough (I'll know more after talking to them tomorrow) then a switch is in order :).
Sun 30/03/03 at 12:53
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Pipex are having problems at the moment which is probably affecting their network.

Goto www.adslguide.org.uk there's a speed testing page there, plus you'll find a forum which has dedicated ISP places. If you look on the Pipex part you'll soon realise they've got problems.
Sun 30/03/03 at 12:24
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
cjh wrote:
I just tried that file, and got an average of 22, thats crap.

I got the same, Pipex too

Weird

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.