GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Moshing"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/01/03 at 09:30
Regular
I went to my first rock gig last night.

At a small club called 'The Net' in Abingdon. There were 4 bands playing -'Redifine' headlined.

It was fantastic. Real live rock. It was amazingly heavy - not the kind of stuff I'd listen to on CD, but perfect for jumping about to. There was a drummer in one of the bands - Harpie - who hit stuff really hard, with a stupid grin on his face all the time. He ruled.

Yeah....so, I moshed. Just wondering - can I do any long term damage to my brain or something?
Mon 20/01/03 at 12:50
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
I used to love going crazy at suitable concerts (i.e. not the Texas one I had to go to with girlfriend once). Then the main concert venue in Belfast was this place called the Kings Hall, really small, dark hole that was great for it. Bouncers didn't mind crowd surfing too much as well. There was once where I lost my shoe though, and when I crowed surfed forward I tried to ask the first bouncer I saw if one had been thrown forward. I try to pull him to one side as he can't hear me with the speaker etc, so I get smacked on the head by another bouncer who thinks I'm harassing his mate. Then thrown out. Into the wet, dark street. With one shoe.

Anyway, really against crown surfing and OTT moshing in general now because of another gig. It was at Glasto '99 on the Saturday night. I wanted to watch the Manics and to get a good spot stood through Texas (yup, them again) and Underworld, slowly moving forward. I ended up right at the front, only these few girls between me and the crash barrier. Got talking to them during the break while the stage was set up for the Manics and it turned out they were some kind of MSP freaks. They'd gotten tickets to the whole weekend at Glasto just to see the Manics on Saturday night. They came down first thing on Saturday morning and had been standing in the same spot since 10am (not even any music until after 12). Eventually the Manics came on and things went a bit crazy. Everyone pushes forward and these lasses begin to get all squashed. By the end of the second song one has passed out and needs to be hauled out of the crowd. Her mate decides she can't take it much longer and goes with her. In less than a song later, the final girl decides it’s too much for her and goes too. They'd spent £85 each on tickets, travelled and then stood there all day to see less than three songs.

The rest of the gig was pretty rubbish for me too. People kept falling and the place was so crushed they literally couldn't get up again. I ended up with bruised ribs (and intense pain breathing for the next few weeks) because of getting rammed into the crash barrier at the front again and again. The crowd surfers never stopped, time and time again thumping on the back of your head. The gig stopped and the Manics left the stage at one point to try and get people to calm down, but it made no difference on their return.

In short, it was awful. Despite the numerous pleadings from the stage selfish ****s were still crowd surfing and pushing, it was simply something you couldn't enjoy. How could I care about the music when I've got people desperately trying to pull themselves onto their feet by grabbing at my legs?

Since then I've pretty much always preferred watching from a comfortable distance. Hell, I had great fun bouncing up and down and when suitable I still do, but as soon as there gets to be any hint of pushing and shoving I retreat. I’d hate to think that it may ruin a gig for someone like those three girls at the Manics.
Sun 19/01/03 at 21:53
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Dunno about brain damage, but I have ear damage.
Sun 19/01/03 at 10:47
Regular
"bWo > You"
BEARDS. wrote:
> Headbanging has been linked to brain damage.

If that is true, then sadly, my friends, LL Cool TT is retaining all of his brain power. Although there was that one occasion, and another, and oh yes, can't forget that one...

RIP LL Cool TT's brain :-(
Sun 19/01/03 at 10:43
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Headbanging has been linked to brain damage.

But then, my hair is perfect for it so I'm not going to stop.
Sat 18/01/03 at 22:35
Regular
"Link to the Future"
SHEEPY wrote:
> I hate smelly and sweaty who mosh in your face
>
> Crowd surfers are c.cks though... always get kicked in the head

True. I give them a punch in the back as they go over my head.
Sat 18/01/03 at 16:05
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> I moshed with the Lost Prophets guy standing next to me.

You shoulda slammed him :D
Sat 18/01/03 at 16:04
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
When I saw Dog Toffee play the singer jumped into the crowd (all 7 or 8 of us...) and he knocked me into the side of the stage. Then a couple of kids prett much jumoed on his back, and he swung them round... and one of their feet swung round and whacked my head, knocking it back so I smacked the back of my head against the stage...

ROCK!

;-)
Sat 18/01/03 at 15:12
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I hate smelly and sweaty who mosh in your face

Crowd surfers are c.cks though... always get kicked in the head
Sat 18/01/03 at 15:01
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
We have this thing at my school called 'Battle of the Bands' for all the school bands to try and get local fame (Local paper and stuff & recruiters from local clubs) There is normally about 200 people (ish) there and the headteacher insisted in huge signed everywhere saying, "No Moshing, No Stage-diving, No Violence, No Alcohol" - Damn him. Didnt stop us mind!
Sat 18/01/03 at 13:57
"Uzi Lover"
I moshed with the Lost Prophets guy standing next to me.

Not that I like him or anything...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.