GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony Job Cuts"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/09/05 at 11:46
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4270302.stm[/URL]

Hopefully this won't be bad news for the gaming industry.
Sun 25/09/05 at 20:18
Regular
"8==="
The PS2 is supposedly difficult to program for which would explain why there's been a slow progression.

More progression or not it's pretty irrelevant when you look at the performance differences.

The 360 and PS3 are more evenly matched and bonus has already shown that the 360's shader technology lengthen's it's graphical lifespan a fair bit.
Sun 25/09/05 at 20:22
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> The PS2 is supposedly difficult to program for which would explain why
> there's been a slow progression.

Depends on which developer you talk to, as several have said they've no problems. Aside from that, the point is irrelevant - my point is not the speed of the progression, but the simple fact that there's a lot more room for it.
Sun 25/09/05 at 20:29
Hedfix wrote:
> lcarus wrote:
>
> Though a crude assessment, is that really surprising? Don't forget
> they co-developed a new chip with almost all new architecture.
>
> Which when held up to it's rivals specs produces a bit of a shrug as
> there's little difference between the two except it's likely the
> development cost Sony a hell of a lot more money.

>
> As opposed to spending a lot of money and getting something that's
> almost equal to MS's offering anyway? Doesn't seem a very smart
> approach.

You forget that the chip won't simply be used in the PS3, as with MS's offering.
Sun 25/09/05 at 20:31
"High polygon count"
lcarus wrote:
> You forget that the chip won't simply be used in the PS3, as with
> MS's offering.

Valid point.

"My fridge is more powerful than your Xbox!"

:-D
Sun 25/09/05 at 20:41
Regular
"8==="
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> but the simple fact that
> there's a lot more room for it.

Hardly.

We'd be seeing more squeezed out of the Xbox if there wasn't a new console out by the end of the year.
Sun 25/09/05 at 20:42
Regular
"8==="
lcarus wrote:
>
> You forget that the chip won't simply be used in the PS3, as with
> MS's offering.

And Sony are focusing on their games division, so whether it features in other Sony products or not it's still been mainly created for use in the PS3.
Sun 25/09/05 at 20:59
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> We'd be seeing more squeezed out of the Xbox if there wasn't a new
> console out by the end of the year.

On the contrary, the original Xbox can't be pushed much further than it already has been, hence the unenviably short 4-year lifespan.

That combines with the fact that MS were absolutely desperate to get a new machine out before Sony. Hence their 'off-the-shelf' approach for reduced development time.

You talk about the expected cost of the PS3, but ask yourself a question: which will be the better value for money?

Sony expect the PS3 to have a 10-year lifespan, which isn't that far fetched when you consider the PS2 has been around for 7. On the other hand, MS had a more powerful system and it only lasted 4 years before they felt the need to replace it.
Sun 25/09/05 at 21:12
Regular
"8==="
'Much Further'.

So you admit it can be pushed further?

As for lifespan there's the problem of adaptability, from what I can recall the 360 is designed to have a longer lifespan than the xbox, but even if it only had a 4 year lifespan we'd see a PS3 beating (power-wise) follow-up which after 4 years wouldn't be seen as a bad thing by a lot of people.

As for 'better value for money', to start off with that's the 360 and that should be the case for quite sometime. Then there's quality of gaming and I think the higher priced 360 (out of the two versions on offer) with a HD has the edge there thanks to downloadable content, custom soundtracks and no need for memory cards.

Sure the PS3's an investment, but to start off with it's not a very enticing one.
Sun 25/09/05 at 21:47
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> So you admit it can be pushed further?

If it can, it won't be by much.

> As for lifespan there's the problem of adaptability, from what I can
> recall the 360 is designed to have a longer lifespan than the xbox,

But what does that matter if they replace it after 4 years because of what the competition are doing?

That's part of Microsoft's problem - they allow themselves to be driven by what others are doing, not what they want to do - hence their public desire to beat Sony to launch.

Neither Sony nor Nintendo are driven by the competition. Sony have their audience, and they market to that audience - as do Nintendo. Microsoft are in a no-mans land, trying to tell everyone that their way is the right way.

For them to pay a special audience to cheer at the 360 launch just smacks of primary school playgound antics. "Helloooo! I'm here! Look what I can do! Why won't anybody look at me?!"

> As for 'better value for money', to start off with that's the 360 and
> that should be the case for quite sometime. Then there's quality of
> gaming and I think the higher priced 360 (out of the two versions on
> offer) with a HD has the edge there thanks to downloadable content,
> custom soundtracks and no need for memory cards.

Nothing there that isn't the same for PS3. Hell, even the PSP can do it. But do I pay X amount for a 4-year investment, of X+100 for a 10 year investment? For me, the choice is obvious.

> Sure the PS3's an investment, but to start off with it's not a very
> enticing one.

Maybe not to you, but like I said, it is to plenty of others.

As, no doubt, is the 360. It's just not for me.

Anyway, that's enough for me for tonight. I'm off to watch a DVD. Night.
Sun 25/09/05 at 22:12
Regular
"8==="
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

> If it can, it won't be by much.

Well I'd take a programmer's word over yours.

> But what does that matter if they replace it after 4 years because of
> what the competition are doing?

Because after 4 years people will be ready for something new again. Just look at howm any people are looking forward to the 360 and the Revolution.

>
> That's part of Microsoft's problem - they allow themselves to be
> driven by what others are doing, not what they want to do

Yeah this whole 'Xbox live online community' thing's been done before over and over on consoles...

That's what MS have going for them and it's carrying over to 360 and is currently the only structured online setup for console gamers.

- hence
> their public desire to beat Sony to launch.

That's just good business sense, you try and get a larger userbase than the other company. due to the pricing and earlier launch things should get interesting.

>
> Neither Sony nor Nintendo are driven by the competition.

Yeah Sony are just re-structuring their company for the hell of it and not because their competitors have been eating away at their market share.

Sony have
> their audience, and they market to that audience - as do Nintendo.
> Microsoft are in a no-mans land, trying to tell everyone that their
> way is the right way.

None of the companies let things get in the way of their individual 'visions' for gaming.

Microsoft have Live, they market to Live players and those that like the Xbox exclusives. As far as online console gaming goes MS are the leaders and it looks as though they'll stay in the lead with the 360.

>
> For them to pay a special audience to cheer at the 360 launch just
> smacks of primary school playgound antics. "Helloooo! I'm
> here! Look what I can do! Why won't anybody look at me?!"

As opposed to 'Xbox 1.5' and all that crap? Yeah...

Oh and amazing 'game footage' that's actually just FMV?

Paying people to cheer is marketing, pure and simple.

> Nothing there that isn't the same for PS3. Hell, even the PSP can do
> it. But do I pay X amount for a 4-year investment, of X+100 for a 10
> year investment? For me, the choice is obvious.

Really a HD and a dedicated online service like Live? Personally if I'm playing the same console 10 years down the line I'll have seriously ****** up somewhere. :S

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.