GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony Job Cuts"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/09/05 at 11:46
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4270302.stm[/URL]

Hopefully this won't be bad news for the gaming industry.
Sat 24/09/05 at 15:42
"High polygon count"
"An expansion port on the bottom of the unit allows for add-on hardware to compliment this "remote controller" (our word for it, not Nintendo's), like a second controller piece Nintendo demonstrated that comes equipped with an analog stick and two trigger buttons (currently labeled Z1 and Z2, for those of you keeping track). When the two controller pieces are attached, the so-called 'Nunchaku' configuration (the two bits are connected by a short cord) can work similarly to current controllers, just with the second analog stick replaced by actual movement of the Revolution controller."

So you need to buy an add-on to have the functionality of current controllers? If this were Sony, you'd be shouting "rip off".

Without the add-on, you need to wave it around in the air? Not very precise. If this were Sony, you'd be shouting "unusable".

Innovative? Certainly. Practical? Remains to be seen.

Given the limited success of previous breaks from the traditional controller, I'd say unlikely. Suddenly the mock-up PS3 boomerang looks much more appealing.
Sat 24/09/05 at 16:16
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Hedfix wrote:
> "Taking the road less travelled can lead to some surprises"

"Do not follow where other people have gone.

Go your own way and leave a trail."

Or something like that anyway.
Sat 24/09/05 at 17:42
Regular
"Beg For Mercy"
After all these workers done for sony this is how they say thanks to them, All of them created the new sony psp and next gen console ps3, They should keep as a reminder of sony get a console.
Sat 24/09/05 at 18:40
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
The Burner 247 wrote:
> After all these workers done for sony this is how they say thanks to
> them, All of them created the new sony psp and next gen console ps3,
> They should keep as a reminder of sony get a console.

Think I understood what you said there - sweet revenge would be if they all went to Nintendo and/or Microsoft and contributed to them getting the upper hand on Sony after nearly a decade of dominance.
Sat 24/09/05 at 18:47
Regular
"The Red Shift"
It's not surprising really.

Ground lost on:

MP3 players (campared to domination of walkmans 5 years ago) to iPod.

Computers to many, many cheaper better companies.

Stereos to a variety of cheap japo and chinese imports.

Plus the fact that Sony used to be a trademark of quality, where as now, people are willing to buy from any Joe Bloggs.

Also, with this decline has come a reaction from buyers that they see Sony on the down, so won't invest or whatever.

All this adds up to losses.

It doesn't surprise me and they're still huge and I'll still probably get the PS3. So it's all irrelevasnt to me really.
Sat 24/09/05 at 19:43
So much rubbish in this thread. I'll try to rectify some of the ones that are thought up by non retards.

Hedfix wrote:
> + they've spent a ridiculous amount of money on R&D for the PS3.
>
> So much so that even though they made loads of money recently on
> games royalities it was all cancelled out by the PS3 R&D costs.

Though a crude assessment, is that really surprising? Don't forget they co-developed a new chip with almost all new architecture. And if you were running a company, those game profits would be seen as a natural reinvestment for future products. In fact, the "loads of money" made recently were nothing compared to the total investment in next gen products. Sony could have gone the MS way and asked for a slightly modified CPU, but that would make identikit console specs.

Clazon wrote:
>
> Plus the fact that Sony used to be a trademark of quality, where as
> now, people are willing to buy from any Joe Bloggs.
>

And they still are. Ask any consumer which they would prefer in a brand, chances are Sony will be top. Remember they've done this for decades, and has been well known all this time; people won't forget that anytime soon, and still associate the company with reliable, stylish stuff.

>
> It doesn't surprise me and they're still huge and I'll still probably
> get the PS3. So it's all irrelevasnt to me really.

That is true.

As for the Rev controller, Ninty have pulled off an obvious innovation there. Well done to them. But when those fully fledged games do come out next century, people will find that the lack of immediate access to the controls in an efficient manner is not one of it's strong points. Tacking on more crap to it's bellend makes it less so. The PS3 controller, everyone is still seeing the boomerang design as final. Fact is, it's not.

And to all those spackheads who wrote proverbs; when the hell did they apply to the modern console market?
Sat 24/09/05 at 20:13
Regular
"The Red Shift"
lcarus wrote:
> Clazon wrote:
>
> Plus the fact that Sony used to be a trademark of quality, where as
> now, people are willing to buy from any Joe Bloggs.
>
>
> And they still are. Ask any consumer which they would prefer in a
> brand, chances are Sony will be top. Remember they've done this for
> decades, and has been well known all this time; people won't forget
> that anytime soon, and still associate the company with reliable,
> stylish stuff.

Interestingly you wrote "prefer. I don't know if that was subliminal or intentional, but I take that to prove my point exactly.

Of course everyone would "prefer" to have a Sony Vaio or a Sony stereo, but they just don't buy them. There are cheaper alternatives. Eg. The rapid rise of the relatively no-name Acer computer company.

> It doesn't surprise me and they're still huge and I'll still
> probably
> get the PS3. So it's all irrelevasnt to me really.
>
> That is true.
>
> As for the Rev controller, Ninty have pulled off an obvious
> innovation there. Well done to them. But when those fully fledged
> games do come out next century, people will find that the lack of
> immediate access to the controls in an efficient manner is not one of
> it's strong points.

That's exactly what I thought. At first I was shocked by the sheer innovation and intriguing nature of the control they unveiled. But then I began to question it's use and function, which will remain unanswered until I play on it myself.

The final thing I considered is what games would go with it? I mean we would have to make a huge jump in the quality and ability of games to suit it well enough to use it fully will either be vastly expensive or impossible.

The Revo may just crash Nintendo through sheer expense.
Sun 25/09/05 at 00:59
Regular
"gsybe you!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> "An expansion port on the bottom of the unit allows for add-on
> hardware to compliment this "remote controller" (our word
> for it, not Nintendo's), like a second controller piece Nintendo
> demonstrated that comes equipped with an analog stick and two trigger
> buttons (currently labeled Z1 and Z2, for those of you keeping track).
> When the two controller pieces are attached, the so-called 'Nunchaku'
> configuration (the two bits are connected by a short cord) can work
> similarly to current controllers, just with the second analog stick
> replaced by actual movement of the Revolution controller."
>
>
> So you need to buy an add-on to have the functionality of current
> controllers? If this were Sony, you'd be shouting "rip
> off".
>
> Without the add-on, you need to wave it around in the air? Not very
> precise. If this were Sony, you'd be shouting "unusable".
>
> Innovative? Certainly. Practical? Remains to be seen.
>
> Given the limited success of previous breaks from the traditional
> controller, I'd say unlikely. Suddenly the mock-up PS3 boomerang
> looks much more appealing.

If this were Sony, I'd be thinking; "yeah, nice idea. Shame about the games'.
Sun 25/09/05 at 03:51
"High polygon count"
Cycloon wrote:
> If this were Sony, I'd be thinking; "yeah, nice idea. Shame
> about the games'.

Games are a matter of opinion.

A controller, on the other hand, must be widely usable. This design, I feel, will be far too inaccurate.

Also, while it might be innovative in terms of modern console controllers, it's not exactly a new or original idea. Controllers which you moved around in the air were present over 20 years ago, in the days of the C64 and Spectrum.

For example, 'The Stick' ([URL]http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/042/hardwre.htm[/URL] - it's right at the bottom of the page) was a base-less joystick with internal mercury switches, which you tilted in mid-air. While a novel idea (it was great for Decathlon-style games, where you could shake it rapidly from side to side to make your man run), it was next to useless for any games which needed any degree of accuracy.

Similarly, Sony's EyeToy camera is a very novel system and well-suited to the games designed for it. It still couldn't be described as an accurate control system, and even if you could, you wouldn't want to use it for any game requiring smooth and accurate control - which is, well, most of them.

While the technologies may have moved on, the Revolution controller is basically a combination of The Stick ('airborne' movement) and the EyeToy (motion-tracking in 3D space).
Sun 25/09/05 at 14:32
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

> Similarly, Sony's EyeToy camera is a very novel system and
> well-suited to the games designed for it.

You tend to find that new revolutionary controllers are only suited to certain types of games and while they really good for playing those games they aren't good for playing others.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.