GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jeffers defends reputation"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/12/02 at 21:05
Regular
Francis Jeffers has defended his reputation in the face of accusations of diving by Gerard Houllier.

Jeffers expressed his "extreme disappointment" at Houllier's angry reaction to the controversial way in which he had won Arsenal's penalty equaliser at Highbury on Sunday.

In a statement released on his behalf by Arsenal, the former Everton forward insisted that he is an "honest player" and maintained that he had not dived to win the spot-kick.

Jeffers declared: "I am extremely disappointed by comments attributed to Mr Houllier. I'm an honest player and I certainly didn't dive for the penalty.

"It was a great pass from Dennis Bergkamp and I saw two defenders close me down, so I let the ball run past me. As I've turned and started to run, John Arne Riise grabbed me and also clipped my heel.

"It's as simple as that, it was a penalty. The referee was quick to blow to award the penalty and the linesman was even quicker to put his flag up.

"I don't have to defend myself. I know it was a penalty and the ref also said it was clear cut and that's all that matters."

The Football Association are unlikely to investigate Houllier's comments, while Arsene Wenger defended Jeffers' reputation.

The Arsenal boss insisted: "I've seen it again and I don't think that Franny went down. I think he was caught on his left leg and he didn't have a choice but to go down."

He clearly dived, he wasn't hardly touched, it was a disgracefull dive, you expect other players to dive but not an English player.

What do you lot think, did he dive?
Tue 31/12/02 at 12:16
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
L337ist wrote:
> So? It was obstruction. He flung his arm out to stop Jeffers getting
> past.

Lol - If it had happened at the other other end - no doubt all you daft gooners would have been shouting DIVE DIVE!! don't even deny it, there was very minimal contact, not even worth a free kick out of the box, its just a shame the ref was conned.

> He went to ground, but to emphasize the foul. A bit like how van
> Nistelrooy does EVER FOUR SECONDS.

Heh I knew somehow Ruud's name would come into this, a cover for your own players actions for diving in the box - both Cole and Jeffers have done it now, look at your own players before criticising others.
Tue 31/12/02 at 13:36
"High polygon count"
Unbeliever wrote:
> It was a dirty dive. I don't give a sh@t who says otherwise.

Fortunately, no-one "gives a sh@t" what you think either!

You say there was no contact, but Riise's arm clearly goes across Jeffers, impeding his pursuit of the ball. Even if only for a SPLIT SECOND, that can be enough for keeper or defender to reach it first, and that is a penalty for denying a goal-scoring opportunity.

Did you notice there was hesitation and a check with the linesman before Liverpool's penalty, yet none at all for Arsenal's? Reason being that, although Campbell DID bring the guy down, it was a genuine late challenge, and the guy was going away from goal and it wasn't a CLEAR goal-scoring opportunity. Hence a penalty, but not a deliberate foul - and no booking. Jeffers, on the other hand, was right in front of goal.

Personally, even though Liverpool frequently win penalties to get themselves out of the poo, on this occasion I felt both decisions were spot-on.

As for the RVN comparisons - in the same situation, I'd have the same opinion. The thing is, for 8 out of 10 times RVN goes down, there's no contact whatsoever! They've said twice in commentary now that he has a reputation for it, so it's not exactly deniable!

Regardless of who thinks what about it, the same thing happens week-in, week-out in games. Why is this any worse? Because it's Arsenal? Houllier should start worrying about his own teams deficiencies before he starts moaning about the 'luck' of others. As should all of you.

Arsenal are in a dip, but are still grinding out the results. I swear they used to call it "the stuff of Champions" when Man U and (way, way, WAAAAY back) Liverpool did the same.

My advice is to get yourselves down to a fruit & veg stall and buy a new bunch of grapes - they may not be so sour.
Tue 31/12/02 at 13:58
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I remember the days when contacting a player didn't result in a penalty or a free kick...
Tue 31/12/02 at 14:05
"High polygon count"
I remember all the way back to when you could practically kick a goalkeeper into the net with the ball in his arms and it would count as a goal!

Actually, it wasn't that long ago - Leeds only stopped doing it when Venables took over! :-D
Tue 31/12/02 at 14:08
Regular
Grandprix wrote:
> I remember the days when contacting a player didn't result in a
> penalty or a free kick...

Too true. Remember Allardyce's rant on how football's turning into a non-contact sport. I don't agree with the rules, but if you apply them Jeffers WAS fouled.

And Neo, you are an idiot. As is agreed by 99% of the football watching world, Nistelrooy is a diver. He jumps up, yells, flails his arms around to get attention. When it works, it's good, but if he hasn't been touched at all (which is the case as wookiee sad 8/10 times) then he looks like a stupid cheater. A player as talented as him shouldn't resort to such tactics.

Cole has dived about twice, once in the box. He hasn't done it since. Way to draw the comparisons, man.
Tue 31/12/02 at 14:09
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

You say there was no contact, but Riise's arm clearly goes across Jeffers, impeding his pursuit of the ball.
---
His arm came around the back of Jeffers' back, simply to find some way of reaching the ball; it wasn't a forceful push, or anything of that nature, but Jeffers decided, AFTER Riise had done this, to blatantly (and it was blatant) dive to the floor, seconds after the incident happened.

Did you notice there was hesitation and a check with the linesman before Liverpool's penalty, yet none at all for Arsenal's?
---
I think this would be more to do with A: The fact that Winter gave the first Penalty decision to Liverpool (he didn't even have the guts to do it, he would have played on, but for the linesman to spot it), and B: he felt aggreived to give Arsenal a penalty, AS SOON AS a chance came where he could give one. This is not to say that he supports Arsenal, or he wanted them to win; merely, he felt he had to evenly distribute decisions, so as not to make it look like his decisions were one-sided Even though he had appeared to gve everything Arsenals way throughout the game.

Hence a penalty, but not a deliberate foul - and no booking. Jeffers, on the other hand, was right in front of goal.
---
I'd say that Jeffers was closer to the edge of the Penalty-Area than the middle of the goal.

Personally, even though Liverpool frequently win penalties to get themselves out of the poo, on this occasion I felt both decisions were spot-on.
---
Can you tell me the last time Liverpool needed a penalty to win the game? I think you're getting a tad over-reactive now.

The thing is, for 8 out of 10 times RVN goes down, there's no contact whatsoever! They've said twice in commentary now that he has a reputation for it, so it's not exactly deniable!
---
So, the commentators have said he dives, ..they're hardly the final word in decisions now, are they?

Why is this any worse? Because it's Arsenal? Houllier should start worrying about his own teams deficiencies before he starts moaning about the 'luck' of others. As should all of you.
---
I totally agree, we need to sort out our own style of play first; if this was the case, Houllier would have no need to clutch at straws with his after-match comments.

My advice is to get yourselves down to a fruit & veg stall and buy a new bunch of grapes - they may not be so sour.
---
Thanks for the reccomendation; I'll try and get 'em on 5-finger discount ;)
Tue 31/12/02 at 14:13
Regular
Whoever thinks it was a dive isn't a true footie fan just a man utd fan or some other bias fan that dont see that their own players do worse and the fact that he didn't dive.
Tue 31/12/02 at 14:18
"High polygon count"
Expletive Deleted wrote:
> I'd say that Jeffers was closer to the edge of the Penalty-Area than
> the middle of the goal.

I meant left-to-right, rather than 'on the goal line'. He'd have been clean through, whereas Baros (was it?) was heading towards the corner flag.

> Can you tell me the last time Liverpool needed a penalty to win the
> game? I think you're getting a tad over-reactive now.

Any of the last 9, it seems? :-)

> So, the commentators have said he dives, ..they're hardly the final
> word in decisions now, are they?

No, but they don't usually say such things - they're usually unbiased (with the exception of Andy Gray), so when they do make such claims, it must be bad!

Anyway, I'm not arguing with you - it's these bitter ManYoo fans whining about everything that doesn't concern them that get up my nose! They're happy when the luck's on their side, but don't like it when the boot's on the other foot and ripping them a new one!
Tue 31/12/02 at 14:19
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Yes, and why don't you learn to spell and pronounce properly before you type.
Tue 31/12/02 at 14:20
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
(That was to Sniper, not you Wookie ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.