GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jeffers defends reputation"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/12/02 at 21:05
Regular
Francis Jeffers has defended his reputation in the face of accusations of diving by Gerard Houllier.

Jeffers expressed his "extreme disappointment" at Houllier's angry reaction to the controversial way in which he had won Arsenal's penalty equaliser at Highbury on Sunday.

In a statement released on his behalf by Arsenal, the former Everton forward insisted that he is an "honest player" and maintained that he had not dived to win the spot-kick.

Jeffers declared: "I am extremely disappointed by comments attributed to Mr Houllier. I'm an honest player and I certainly didn't dive for the penalty.

"It was a great pass from Dennis Bergkamp and I saw two defenders close me down, so I let the ball run past me. As I've turned and started to run, John Arne Riise grabbed me and also clipped my heel.

"It's as simple as that, it was a penalty. The referee was quick to blow to award the penalty and the linesman was even quicker to put his flag up.

"I don't have to defend myself. I know it was a penalty and the ref also said it was clear cut and that's all that matters."

The Football Association are unlikely to investigate Houllier's comments, while Arsene Wenger defended Jeffers' reputation.

The Arsenal boss insisted: "I've seen it again and I don't think that Franny went down. I think he was caught on his left leg and he didn't have a choice but to go down."

He clearly dived, he wasn't hardly touched, it was a disgracefull dive, you expect other players to dive but not an English player.

What do you lot think, did he dive?
Tue 31/12/02 at 00:38
Regular
Whatever u can say whatever as a man u fan.
Tue 31/12/02 at 01:05
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
What?

"Do you speaka de English?"
Tue 31/12/02 at 01:20
Regular
Yea if u get that kind of penalty you won't get as much stick, jeffers didnt dive.
Tue 31/12/02 at 01:42
"High polygon count"
Jeffers has nothing to defend as far as I'm concerned. He was caught - with both arm and leg - so it was a penalty. I notice Wiltord gets no credit for staying on his feet when Gerrard lunged in - a challenge which, had he gone down, would almost certainly have seen Gerrard dismissed. Not to mention the blatant shove on Pires in the area during the first half which all of the officials also managed to miss.

And how the hell Houllier can whine about being "robbed" of a victory the way Liverpool played in the first half is just beyond belief. They came for a draw, and that's what they got. He should be grateful we had another poor game, otherwise we'd have been out of sight after the first 45 minutes.
Tue 31/12/02 at 01:59
Regular
Yea i thought Wiltord would go down.... i would of anyway it was reckless.
Tue 31/12/02 at 10:59
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I don't care how much you defend him, ive seen the replay and it was simply a dive, if Ruud would have done that, tell me you wouldn't be calling it a dive gooners? - If you say you wouldn't then I call you a liar.
Tue 31/12/02 at 11:17
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
It was a dirty dive. I don't give a sh@t who says otherwise. Look at the replay - he got caught slightly, realised that he couldn't get the ball and then threw himself to the floor. If I was Jeff Winter I'd have carded him for diving. But we know that Winter is pro-Arsenal so he awarded a penalty. And before you ask "Well what about Liverpool's penalty?"
Well that was a certain penalty and Campbell didn't even get booked. That's disgusting because a foul leading to a penalty deserves a yellow card, at the very least.
Tue 31/12/02 at 11:27
Regular
Campbell conceded a penalty.

Wiltord did what Owen has done several times, and that is carry on despite what would have been a penalty.

Jeffers won a penalty. The contact was minimal but it was enough, I feel, to constitute obstruction and although he did exaggerate, I think it was a penalty. Even if it wasn't Arsenal I'd say that.
Tue 31/12/02 at 12:01
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Admit it - it was a blatant dive!!!

Yes, Riise did "touch" him as he went past, but that was it - just a touch and nothing more! Not a push, shove, or anything that could make a player fall-over!

I've seen it replayed over-and-over, yet I can't see any real contact between the 2 players feet either.

And anyway, he fell-down a good second-or-two after the supposed "contact" had been made. Bull-shi...!!

"Same old Arsenal, always cheating!!"
Now I see why Mr.Wenger was so-keen so sign him!

But why didn't Campbell get booked for an obvious challenge that was far-worse than Riise's; something that was nothing??
Tue 31/12/02 at 12:06
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> Admit it - it was a blatant dive!!!
>
> Yes, Riise did "touch" him as he went past, but that was it
> - just a touch and nothing more! Not a push, shove, or anything that
> could make a player fall-over!

So? It was obstruction. He flung his arm out to stop Jeffers getting past.

> I've seen it replayed over-and-over, yet I can't see any real contact
> between the 2 players feet either.

He went to ground, but to emphasize the foul. A bit like how van Nistelrooy does EVER FOUR SECONDS.

> But why didn't Campbell get booked for an obvious challenge that was
> far-worse than Riise's; something that was nothing??

That's a mystery, should have got a booking.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.