GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jeffers defends reputation"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/12/02 at 21:05
Regular
Francis Jeffers has defended his reputation in the face of accusations of diving by Gerard Houllier.

Jeffers expressed his "extreme disappointment" at Houllier's angry reaction to the controversial way in which he had won Arsenal's penalty equaliser at Highbury on Sunday.

In a statement released on his behalf by Arsenal, the former Everton forward insisted that he is an "honest player" and maintained that he had not dived to win the spot-kick.

Jeffers declared: "I am extremely disappointed by comments attributed to Mr Houllier. I'm an honest player and I certainly didn't dive for the penalty.

"It was a great pass from Dennis Bergkamp and I saw two defenders close me down, so I let the ball run past me. As I've turned and started to run, John Arne Riise grabbed me and also clipped my heel.

"It's as simple as that, it was a penalty. The referee was quick to blow to award the penalty and the linesman was even quicker to put his flag up.

"I don't have to defend myself. I know it was a penalty and the ref also said it was clear cut and that's all that matters."

The Football Association are unlikely to investigate Houllier's comments, while Arsene Wenger defended Jeffers' reputation.

The Arsenal boss insisted: "I've seen it again and I don't think that Franny went down. I think he was caught on his left leg and he didn't have a choice but to go down."

He clearly dived, he wasn't hardly touched, it was a disgracefull dive, you expect other players to dive but not an English player.

What do you lot think, did he dive?
Mon 30/12/02 at 21:05
Regular
"Aka Hammond"
Francis Jeffers has defended his reputation in the face of accusations of diving by Gerard Houllier.

Jeffers expressed his "extreme disappointment" at Houllier's angry reaction to the controversial way in which he had won Arsenal's penalty equaliser at Highbury on Sunday.

In a statement released on his behalf by Arsenal, the former Everton forward insisted that he is an "honest player" and maintained that he had not dived to win the spot-kick.

Jeffers declared: "I am extremely disappointed by comments attributed to Mr Houllier. I'm an honest player and I certainly didn't dive for the penalty.

"It was a great pass from Dennis Bergkamp and I saw two defenders close me down, so I let the ball run past me. As I've turned and started to run, John Arne Riise grabbed me and also clipped my heel.

"It's as simple as that, it was a penalty. The referee was quick to blow to award the penalty and the linesman was even quicker to put his flag up.

"I don't have to defend myself. I know it was a penalty and the ref also said it was clear cut and that's all that matters."

The Football Association are unlikely to investigate Houllier's comments, while Arsene Wenger defended Jeffers' reputation.

The Arsenal boss insisted: "I've seen it again and I don't think that Franny went down. I think he was caught on his left leg and he didn't have a choice but to go down."

He clearly dived, he wasn't hardly touched, it was a disgracefull dive, you expect other players to dive but not an English player.

What do you lot think, did he dive?
Mon 30/12/02 at 21:11
Regular
"Black pepper?"
He clearly dived. Cheating b*stard, I hate cheats in football.
Mon 30/12/02 at 21:31
Regular
"Aka Hammond"
I hate cheats too, you expect foregin players to dive but not English players.
Mon 30/12/02 at 21:52
Regular
"Aka Hammond"
§n][peŽ wrote:
> F*F**k off he didnt cheat

Oh, yes he did.
Mon 30/12/02 at 22:18
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Nope. He didn't cheat.

They showed the slow-motion replay with the feet highlighted in a circle on Sky News, and John Arne Riise clipped him, which caused him to trip.

He might've fallen looking for the penalty, but he was tripped.
Mon 30/12/02 at 23:31
Regular
"Aka Hammond"
AfroJoe wrote:
> Nope. He didn't cheat.
>
> They showed the slow-motion replay with the feet highlighted in a
> circle on Sky News, and John Arne Riise clipped him, which caused him
> to trip.
>
> He might've fallen looking for the penalty, but he was tripped.

Oh, i haven't seen the slow-motion reply, i'll have to have a look at that, but for now i'm still saying he dived. :-)
Mon 30/12/02 at 23:42
Regular
It was the most blatant dive i have seen in years. He was going to play it fair and then decided a penalty was a better option.

However far from condemning him, i have to say he did the right thing, he had been fouled shortly before, but he recovered. He dived but it was only to get a foul awarded that should have been given. On occasions players honestly stay up (Forssell against Spurs is the best example), all they have to do is go down but they stay standing in the spirit of the game, and are cheated of what they deserve. If you deserve a penalty but think you will be cheated i blame no player for going down, Proper cheating to gain penalties for no offence is disgraceful.
Mon 30/12/02 at 23:44
If you look closely, it looks like he just catches his leg. The decision would have been hard for the ref. You win some, You lose some i guess

Sam41
Tue 31/12/02 at 00:33
Regular
Watch it before saying.
Tue 31/12/02 at 00:34
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
§n][peŽ wrote:
> F*F**k off he didnt cheat

Lol..

Blind Muppet.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.