GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"land of the dead demo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green'.
Sun 16/10/05 at 08:05
Regular
"Captain to you."
Don't waste your time with it.

I think it's using an unreal engine not sure which one but it's not the latest. The game play is slow and simple, the fact that it's so slow means that no zombie ever gets to you as it's one shot per zombie straight through the head.

There are a few bodies on the floor but rather than the classic bite to leg the zombie gets up making noise and taking about 2-3 seconds before it comes for you meaning to get too much warning that there's one behind you.

They just seemed to have missed what would have made this game truely great, even the super simple ravenholm was closer to what i'd want a zombie game to be like.

Rather than this check out F.E.A.R and the Suffering 2
Sun 16/10/05 at 10:19
Regular
"8==="
Chippxero wrote:
> thats the point of a demo so people can get their own views of
> the game.

But a lot of them aren't good representations of the full product. They're simply small tasters.
Sun 16/10/05 at 09:33
Regular
"Captain to you."
I never listern to reviews as other peoples opinions ma not be shared by me thats the point of a demo so people can get their own views of the game.

The only time i'd look a game that i wouldn't normally is if it was recommended by someone i knew had a simlar taste in games to me.
Sun 16/10/05 at 09:28
Regular
"8==="
I've played loads of poor demos for great games. The OXM demo of Far Cry really didn't do much for me but it was the first two levels of the game before things get even slightly challenging.

I'd rather judge from reviews rather than a demo comprised of early levels and even then I'd wait for feedback from people who've played the full title.

Think of how something like Serious Sam progresses as it goes and then imagine how poor you'd think the game was based on a demo that was just the first level of the game.
Sun 16/10/05 at 09:17
Regular
"Captain to you."
Demos are normally released to entice people in to wanting the game, if a demo is seen as poor by someone they are not going to bother with the full game.

I’m sure someone will like the game from the demo but for me it showed something that isn’t worth me checking out.
Sun 16/10/05 at 09:10
Regular
"8==="
Yeah but that's just a demo.
Sun 16/10/05 at 09:09
Regular
"Captain to you."
Hopefully they will release a multiplayer demo then as it sounds much better.

With just playing the single player demo theres no way i'd bother with the game.
Sun 16/10/05 at 09:07
Regular
"8==="
There is multiplayer. It has co-op and versus modes according to both IGN and gamespot.

That is unless the new publisher was too stingy to stump up for the servers...
Sun 16/10/05 at 09:05
Regular
"Captain to you."
Nope just one 4 objective area/level thing.

Multiplayer would be good if you had to protect a relatively large complex from zombie invasion in a co-op style, with different areas breaching at different times against silly amounts of zombies. Not sure what the actual multiplayer is though.

Once it's released as it's an unreal engine based game it wouldn't be to hard to produce that on a simple scale using the editor.

I suppose using the an older unreal engine they don't alienate people with lower specs like F.E.A.R. is going to.
Sun 16/10/05 at 08:58
Regular
"8==="
Any multiplayer in the demo?

EDit: Gamespot said it's more challenging against 7-or so, that there's limited ammo and you have to do things like block the path behind you with doors etc to escape groups of zombies.

Sounds perfect.

No doubt they've used that engine so as to leave room for a lot of zombies to be on screen at once.
Sun 16/10/05 at 08:42
Regular
"8==="
It's multi-format though so the fact that it uses an Unreal engine doesn't surprise me.

I believe this is the title where they had to shop around for a new publisher because the division of Hip games that was publishing the title went belly-up.

No doubt there's a good reason for releasing it now (I expect the DVD of the movie's out soon) also there's Stubbs coming out, 2 Cthulu games (I think, one may be out in a while) and other Zombie games on current consoles and the upcoming 360 are out soon so it pays for them to get the jump on those. Also if the Suffering 2 sells out they can sell off the back of that title as similarly-themed films have done for a while now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.